Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robbiemac_gw

Garden design for surrounding sweet potatoes

robbiemac
15 years ago

I am looking for some help in designing plantings for sweet potatoes. I have a section of yard that I have committed to this, and my initial layout is as follows: a 3' border all around dedicated to pest fighting plantings- what would these plantings be? Then I have a series of 10' long rows- first a "row" that is 4' wide area for the sweet potato vines to spread; a row 10' long x 18" wide for the potato plants, the 4' x 10' area for spreading vines, a row 10' long x 36" wide for more pest fighting plantings, 4' spread area, another 18" wide potato row, another 4' spread area, then a final 3' wide anti-pest planting row. Does this sound ok? My thought is that the rows of potato plantings will be surrounded by pest fighting plants. This is my first attempt at sweet potatoes and would like to try to stay organic in fighting pests. My understanding is that Japanese Beetle is the foremost SW pest in my area. Which plantings should I surroung the potatoe plants to fight this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have already laid out these beds, tilling in about 6" of manure/stable sweepings, followed by a tilling of about 4" of chopped leaves. I will leave it now until planting time. I plan to side-dress with compost during the growing season, along with some sprayings of compost tea.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH