Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Strawberry and Garlic together

Posted by sequi z7 NoVA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 07 at 16:04

On some companion lists, I see that strawberry and garlic are listed as incompatible. Does anybody know why that is?

On other lists, they're not listed together, and in searches of posts, a couple of people thought they went well together.

It's my first year for both strawberries and garlic, and I interplanted them this fall. I just figured that when the garlic would come up through the strawberries after they runner all over the place.

I was also hoping the garlic would keep pests out of the strawberry patch.

What does "incompatible" mean I should expect?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Strawberry and Garlic together

It might flavor the straberries, or maybe the straberries choke out the garlic. It's hard to say. I haven't seen many explanations as to why things are incompatible. Sometimes they just compete for the same nutrients.

o

Plants give off chemicals. Roses like the chemicals given off by onions, so roses and onions are good companion plants. I don't know specifically about garlaic and strawberries, however, both like acid conditions.

I use santolina bushes as insect repellants in my strawberry bed. I have a raised bed, about sixteen feet long by three feet wide. I have three santolina at equal distances. Haven't had any problems with insects in that bed since I put in the santolinas.

Lorna

o

I was asking myself the same question, so I did a couple of searches and http://www.westcoastseeds.com/topicdetail/topic/companion-planting/
Here they say it is okay to plant them together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here