Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub Border for Quickfire Hydrangea and Sea Green Juniper

Posted by whaas 4B (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 5, 08 at 22:06

Hello,

I'm working on a kidney "like" shape bed for my fornt yard.

If your facing the bed, An Autumn Gold Ginkgo is the anchor and there is a Sea Green Juniper as the backdrop. A Quickfire Hydrangea will offset to the left. I'm looking for a grouping of 3 shrubs (3 X 3 max size) to offset to the right.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking Fiesta Forsythia, Pink Poppet Weigelia or Snowdrift White Rose.

Besides the size, importance lies in the form, texture and color contrast with the coarse, round/spreading shape, dark green hydrangea and the fine, arching, medium green juniper, while offering some other interest.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub Border for Quickfire Hydrangea and Sea Green Juniper

Weigela can be iffy here in z5, so not sure I would recommend them to you, for the front yard esp.

Forsythia is a bit of a one-hit wonder, as it's only a standout in spring..leaving the rose, which is not yet rated by the ARS, but it looks to be an outstanding plant.

I just put in some shrub roses in my front garden (pink Knockouts). They're real show-stoppers and still look good so far, very little mildew/black spot and loads of blue-green foliage (but no fall color) and even a few blooms.

How do you like your QF? I have one that is still small, in part shade. I have read that full sun is okay though, and that the fall color is best in full sun. I really like the red stems.

o
RE: Shrub Border for Quickfire Hydrangea and Sea Green Juniper

You must have Weigela that aren't suited for zone 5. I have multiple cultivars that do fine in my yard. Pink Poppet is actually ok to zone 3.

The fiesta forsythia will have the spring show, but the foilage is the biggest bang for the buck. Will show well with the other plants. But I know there has to be something else out there with a little more interest..ie fall color.

I like the idea of the long white rose bloom but the foilage will look "blendy" with the other plants. Knockouts are a hit or miss in zone 4.

My quickfires were planted mid-summer so they didn't establish all that well this year because of an extremely dry August...should bounce back next spring. I have them in full sun and I didn't notice much of a fall color. I don't think they are really supposed to have any consistent fall color anyhow. I do like that the flowers hang on, they dimension to the plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here