Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fern Companion Plants - New Combinations

Posted by loriartscape Michigan (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 29, 06 at 22:27

I am looking for companion plants to go with Autumn or Male Robust Ferns (aside from the traditional hostas and astibles).
This season I surrounded a vase shaped Male fern with double circle rows of Lambs Ears (cutting off flowers)...and then farther out of the circle I finished it with a circular double row of Obsidian Heuchera. It is a stunning display of texture and colors, about the size of a round dining room table.

Any other combinations you have found new and interesting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fern Companion Plants - New Combinations

Lori I am so far south of you I can't imagine being able to grow lambs ears and fern together - one would languish in shade or the other would fry in the sun here.

Fern and large hardy begonia are lovely - not sure how hardy the begonia is for your climate. Variegated lamium like pink pewter or white nancy, columbine, epimedium.

o

I use the following with my ferns and hostas. Brunnera, Cimicifuga, Heucherella, Pulmonaria, Tiarella

o

Coleus would look nice with ferns as well.

o

Coleus (annuals) come in lots of great colors, you can take cuttings of them to keep them going. Caladium are colorful as well, they need to be dug & stored over winter here.

o

I know this post is old but incase anyone comes across it my suggestion is bright orange begonias. Very gorgeous. Also any fuchsia is attractive when planted with ferns. Azaleas and rhodies look divine! Don't rule out hydrangeas. I have them all & they are outstanding!

o

I am trying a combination this year of:
Asparagus ferns,
Ligularia - with the big round leaves that are green on one side and purple on the reverse. They almost look like a lotus leaf; and,
hosta "Great Expectations" So far they all look really nice together. I am just uncertain of how I want to space them.
I am going for a rather Asian feel here. I will be adding a beautiful big buddha head, somewhere.

o
OOPS! - Fern Companion Plants - New Combinations

OOPS!! That's Cinnamon Ferns, Ligularia - with the big round leaves that are green on one side and purple on the reverse. They almost look like a lotus leaf; and,
hosta "Great Expectations".

o

Old post, I know, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

My fern garden has ferns planted with Heuchera, Euphorbia, daylilies, Brunnera, Tradescantia and Alchemilla. I like all the contrasting leaf forms.

I have another garden that isn't all about ferns, but there are a couple of very large lady ferns in it. Some of the companion plants are Nandina, sweet woodruff, and baby's tears.

Coupla pics:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Very pretty combinations

o

If you get the right Hostas (not just the green and the green & white ones) the contrast in texture and color works very well.
This one is Sun Power.
Sun Power

Steve

o

Some of the geraniums can be effective eg 'Rozanne' . Flower for ages.

And the small pansies that self-seed wind their way through, adding dots of colour.

o

Steve,
Like the Sun Power Hosta.
Great color to light up darker area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here