Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loriartscape

Fern Companion Plants - New Combinations

loriartscape
17 years ago

I am looking for companion plants to go with Autumn or Male Robust Ferns (aside from the traditional hostas and astibles).

This season I surrounded a vase shaped Male fern with double circle rows of Lambs Ears (cutting off flowers)...and then farther out of the circle I finished it with a circular double row of Obsidian Heuchera. It is a stunning display of texture and colors, about the size of a round dining room table.

Any other combinations you have found new and interesting?

Comments (12)

• joydveenc7
    17 years ago

Lori I am so far south of you I can't imagine being able to grow lambs ears and fern together - one would languish in shade or the other would fry in the sun here.

Fern and large hardy begonia are lovely - not sure how hardy the begonia is for your climate. Variegated lamium like pink pewter or white nancy, columbine, epimedium.

• marquest
    17 years ago

I use the following with my ferns and hostas. Brunnera, Cimicifuga, Heucherella, Pulmonaria, Tiarella

• plantnut52
    15 years ago

Coleus would look nice with ferns as well.

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Coleus (annuals) come in lots of great colors, you can take cuttings of them to keep them going. Caladium are colorful as well, they need to be dug & stored over winter here.

• adahlberg
    15 years ago

I know this post is old but incase anyone comes across it my suggestion is bright orange begonias. Very gorgeous. Also any fuchsia is attractive when planted with ferns. Azaleas and rhodies look divine! Don't rule out hydrangeas. I have them all & they are outstanding!

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

I am trying a combination this year of:
    Asparagus ferns,
    Ligularia - with the big round leaves that are green on one side and purple on the reverse. They almost look like a lotus leaf; and,
    hosta "Great Expectations" So far they all look really nice together. I am just uncertain of how I want to space them.
    I am going for a rather Asian feel here. I will be adding a beautiful big buddha head, somewhere.

• sprout_wi
    12 years ago

OOPS!! That's Cinnamon Ferns, Ligularia - with the big round leaves that are green on one side and purple on the reverse. They almost look like a lotus leaf; and,
    hosta "Great Expectations".

• vegangirl
    12 years ago

Very pretty combinations

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

If you get the right Hostas (not just the green and the green & white ones) the contrast in texture and color works very well.
    This one is Sun Power.
    {{gwi:590816}}

Steve

• vetivert8
    12 years ago

Some of the geraniums can be effective eg 'Rozanne' . Flower for ages.

And the small pansies that self-seed wind their way through, adding dots of colour.

• jclay321
    12 years ago

Steve,
    Like the Sun Power Hosta.
    Great color to light up darker area.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths