Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lemon grass

Posted by hoosierhiver s.indiana (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 21, 06 at 23:47

hi,i've had a hard time finding information on growing lemongrass,any ideas on what plants would be good companion plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lemon grass

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 4, 06 at 9:44

Hi,
I have my lemongrass in a large pot that gets dragged in for the winter every year. I have a garden window so I keep it there and it doesn't go dormant. I've read you could keep it in a cooler room and it will go dormant for winter, but I don't have experience with that.
Lemongrass does well in a large pot in full sun outside when it is warm. I have Gerber Daisies in the pot with it. They are a tender perennial for me also. The Gerber daisies have rounded foliage in low rosettes so they make a nice contrast to the upright lemon grass. I did have a sweet potato vine trailing out of the pot at one time, and that looked good also. Look for a full sun tender perennial that stays low with contrasing foliage that appeals to you. Or plant full sun annuals that contrast nicely with the lemon grass and then pull them out for the winter. Then you could do something different every year if your more of a like to try something new every year kind of person.
Remy

o
lemongrass companion planting

I realize this thread is 5 years old, but since I had the same question, it bears a revival. According to Chermarie on Hubpages (http://chermarie.hubpages.com/hub/companionplanting), lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) deters many insects, esp. when planted in conjunction with lemon verbena (Lippia citriodora). The ever-powerful Wikipedia lists citronella and a few other insect repellant components in it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbopogon_citratus), and since the lemongrass I bought from the market has established some nice roots, I'm about to find out if it actually works as an insect repellant. We have some pretty aggressive bugs out here in Okinawa, and I'm always on the lookout for ways to protect my precious "children".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here