Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with interplanting veggies

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Dec 30, 11 at 18:06

I haven't found much info on the research I've done via a search engine and using the search feature on this forum.

Plz don't suggest looking up something on companion gardening. This isn't really what I'm doing, it's just the best terminology I can think of for it.

The main reasons for doing this are to maximize a very limited amount of gardening space, and to extend the harvest because of having a short growing season.

The ideas I have are listed below, but they're purely speculation. I don't know if they'll work.

Corn with melons and/or squash (this IS NOT three sisters)

beans with leafy green stuff (to shade the greens)

fruiting crops (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers) with root veggies. I figured this would be a natural since they'd shade the root veggies, and since both need potassium and phosphorus. However would this cause them to compete for food?

I'm also wondering what tall crops to pair with brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, turnips). I heard these are tricky to find other veggies that pair well with them.

Also kohlrabi and turnip are brassicas, but they're also root veggies. So should they be paired with fruiting crops mentioned above, or with whatever veggies you'd pair brassicas with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with interplanting veggies

I would suggest you visit the square foot garden forum too. I think it maybe more of what you are looking for.

I think the corn would shade the melons too much. Also, without the 3rd sister, you would need to fertilize really good.

Beans are commonly planted with corn, cucumbers, savory, carrots and celery. They HATE onions.

From what I have read interplanting the kohlrabi and the turnips would be fine, because they use different soil stratas and they take the same kinds of culture and nourishment.

Tomatoes like basil, marigolds, nasturtiums, onions, garlic. They benefit from carrots, but carrots get a little stunted from the tomatoes. Tomatoes do not like brassica family members or potatoes and fennel.

Cauliflower should not be planted by tomatoes or strawberries.

I hope that helps. You will also have to remember about crop rotation. when you start with companion planting, it can make crop rotations harder to do.

o
RE: help with interplanting veggies

If that's not companion planting - I don't know what is!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here