Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarpe

Early grafting 2014

jarpe
10 years ago

Typical view for my family. Picture taken by my wife. Again we have stopped the car and i am cutting scions from interesting tree. This is variegated spruce at Kokkola Finland.

Comments (27)

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It seems to start more early every year. I just had to start growing grafts indoors in beginning of January this year, couldnôt wait. Microclimates under plastic and artilights.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When starting so early i graft only half of material, and leave the rest in snowpit waiting till may just in case.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First golden spruces pushing new growth 4 weeks after grafting.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This variegated pine was grafted in August last fall. i took it in to wake up in beginnig of January. New growth after 4 weeks but not wery strong, new bud is already visible so shoot is going to be very short.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grafting premises

• hungrymind
    10 years ago

Jarpe, Thanks for showing these photos. Its good for me to see and read about the different grafting methods around the world. Are your benches heated or is the room heated? And what temps are we talking? Are your lights running on timers/if so what would the photo period be? There are times I wish I had a few years of grafting behind me,but I hate wo wish my life away! Thanks for any info you can provide.

Rob

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rob, those rooting boxes by the window are situated so that electrick heater that heats the room is beneath it, it gives them temperature ideal for root growth, i hope. Temperature of the room is about +20 decrees. Timer of the lights is set for 12 hours of light. There is also some natural light coming from windows .

Other box inside the plastic tent has no heating exept of room temperature. Now i get to compare results.

• sluice
    10 years ago

Jari,
    That's a nice grafting set-up. And I'm sure my family can relate to the first pic as well!
    Nate

• hungrymind
    10 years ago

Thanks Jarpe. best wishes with your grafts.
    Rob

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

"Temperature of the room is about +20 decrees"
    20ðC is too (in my opinion) it's the reason why your plants start. I graft to around 12/13ðC , the plant + scion start more slowly. And the union graft are better.
    Clement

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, Clement, i take your word for it and turn down the heat. Thanks!

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Very nice Jari!
    It's good to see your grafting chamber and your results.
    Clément is right, 20 degrees Celcius is too warm, lower is much better so the scion can grow nice and slowly at the the rootstock...
    Good luck!

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    10 years ago

Good reportage, Jari, inspired:)

But what is the best temperature for spruce rooting? Do you tried to reproduce spruces or firs by this way?

Ireena

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ireena, no i havent been rooting scions before, but i read that optimal for rooting spruces is air temperature of 15-17 degrees and bottom temperature of 22-25 degrees. This should minimize drying of foliage and channel activity of scion into root growth. Also plastic covers and spraying for high humidity was mentioned.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is some developement now in rootingbox. I am little worried about it becauce i bet there isnôt any root growth yet.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gold spruces 6weeks after grafting. Shoots look thin, i guess itôs like clement and edwin said. Too much heat. I turned heat down to 12-14 degrees and iôm also thinking about giving them little more light.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bud have lenghtened and is ready to burst into new growth. This is graft of snakespruce called Raahe serpent.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

further developement of variegated pine

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

So far, so good...

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

spruce-grafts at the moment

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

snakespruce developing

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pinegraft starting

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fieldgraft from autumn with shade and plastic bag.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My snowpit has transformed into snowpile.

• sluice
    10 years ago

Looks good Jari!

Inspired by this thread, I am now trialing a low heat graft.

I dug the understock from the ground mid-February, potted it in a well draining mix, and immediately grafted the scion. Then left it in the basement for a quiet period of one week - under poly, little to no ambient light, with daily fresh air exchanges.

Once week post-grafting I moved the pot back outside and placed it in the shade of an Alaska cypress.

Two weeks post-grafting I put the plant back in the ground from where the understock was dug.

Ylivieska snake Norway spruce, on Colorado spruce understock
    {{gwi:592742}}

February temps
    {{gwi:592744}}

March temps
    {{gwi:592745}}

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very inspiring experiment. Iteresting to see what happens. Mothertree can be seen by following link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea abies Pyhäjoki snake

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Uups! i wrote a wrong name in that link. It was supposed to be Picea abies Ylivieska snake