Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early grafting 2014

Posted by Jarpe z4-z5 Finland (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 15:50

Typical view for my family. Picture taken by my wife. Again we have stopped the car and i am cutting scions from interesting tree. This is variegated spruce at Kokkola Finland.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early grafting 2014

• Posted by Jarpe z4-z5 Finland (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 15:57

It seems to start more early every year. I just had to start growing grafts indoors in beginning of January this year, couldn´t wait. Microclimates under plastic and artilights.

o

Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 16:02

When starting so early i graft only half of material, and leave the rest in snowpit waiting till may just in case.

o

Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 16:06

First golden spruces pushing new growth 4 weeks after grafting.

o

Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 16:14

This variegated pine was grafted in August last fall. i took it in to wake up in beginnig of January. New growth after 4 weeks but not wery strong, new bud is already visible so shoot is going to be very short.

o

Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 16:17

Grafting premises

o

Jarpe, Thanks for showing these photos. Its good for me to see and read about the different grafting methods around the world. Are your benches heated or is the room heated? And what temps are we talking? Are your lights running on timers/if so what would the photo period be? There are times I wish I had a few years of grafting behind me,but I hate wo wish my life away! Thanks for any info you can provide.

Rob

o

Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 8:22

Rob, those rooting boxes by the window are situated so that electrick heater that heats the room is beneath it, it gives them temperature ideal for root growth, i hope. Temperature of the room is about +20 decrees. Timer of the lights is set for 12 hours of light. There is also some natural light coming from windows .

Other box inside the plastic tent has no heating exept of room temperature. Now i get to compare results.

o

Jari,
That's a nice grafting set-up. And I'm sure my family can relate to the first pic as well!
Nate

o

Thanks Jarpe. best wishes with your grafts.
Rob

o

"Temperature of the room is about +20 decrees"
20°C is too (in my opinion) it's the reason why your plants start. I graft to around 12/13°C , the plant + scion start more slowly. And the union graft are better.
Clement

o

Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 13:06

Ok, Clement, i take your word for it and turn down the heat. Thanks!

o

Very nice Jari!
It's good to see your grafting chamber and your results.
Clément is right, 20 degrees Celcius is too warm, lower is much better so the scion can grow nice and slowly at the the rootstock...
Good luck!

o

Good reportage, Jari, inspired:)

But what is the best temperature for spruce rooting? Do you tried to reproduce spruces or firs by this way?

Ireena

o

Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 12:50

Ireena, no i havent been rooting scions before, but i read that optimal for rooting spruces is air temperature of 15-17 degrees and bottom temperature of 22-25 degrees. This should minimize drying of foliage and channel activity of scion into root growth. Also plastic covers and spraying for high humidity was mentioned.

o

Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 15:00

There is some developement now in rootingbox. I am little worried about it becauce i bet there isn´t any root growth yet.

o

Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 15:09

gold spruces 6weeks after grafting. Shoots look thin, i guess it´s like clement and edwin said. Too much heat. I turned heat down to 12-14 degrees and i´m also thinking about giving them little more light.

o

Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 15:15

Bud have lenghtened and is ready to burst into new growth. This is graft of snakespruce called Raahe serpent.

o

Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 14:43

further developement of variegated pine

o

So far, so good...

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 11:23

spruce-grafts at the moment

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 12:18

snakespruce developing

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 12:25

pinegraft starting

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 12:29

Fieldgraft from autumn with shade and plastic bag.

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 13:09

My snowpit has transformed into snowpile.

o

Looks good Jari!

Inspired by this thread, I am now trialing a low heat graft.

I dug the understock from the ground mid-February, potted it in a well draining mix, and immediately grafted the scion. Then left it in the basement for a quiet period of one week - under poly, little to no ambient light, with daily fresh air exchanges.

Once week post-grafting I moved the pot back outside and placed it in the shade of an Alaska cypress.

Two weeks post-grafting I put the plant back in the ground from where the understock was dug.

Ylivieska snake Norway spruce, on Colorado spruce understock
 photo P3211669.jpg

February temps
feb photo feb14.jpg

March temps
march weather photo march2014.jpg

o

Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 6:56

Very inspiring experiment. Iteresting to see what happens. Mothertree can be seen by following link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea abies Pyhäjoki snake

o

Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 14:39

Uups! i wrote a wrong name in that link. It was supposed to be Picea abies Ylivieska snake

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here