Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mesterhazypinetum

Broom Universe 218 - Sweet Trunky

mesterhazypinetum
11 years ago

Mr. Malik reported a new sweet trunky broom of Cesko, found by Jozef Svec of Slovakia around the Rozsutec Mountain.

Picea abies Rozsutec

{{gwi:597892}}

{{gwi:597893}}

{{gwi:597894}}

{{gwi:597894}}

{{gwi:597895}}

Zsolt
conifertreasury.org

Comments (14)

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

I've never seen such an odd broom before!
    Cool name, as well.

-Sam

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

weird..

looks like the thing is wearing ear muffs ... lol

ken

• Simoni
    11 years ago

Hi,

we present the find of Mr. Komarek from the Czech Republic. The find is from 2009 and we attach the original photo of WB Picea abies Miniknovice.

{{gwi:597896}}

and photography grafted WB P.abies Miniknovice which are taken today in our garden.

{{gwi:597897}}

L+M S

• mesterhazypinetum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice shot,
    I open a sweet trunky categorie for ear muffins, trunky boys and for other genuine finds...
    Long live crazy brooms.

Zsolt

• hungrymind
    11 years ago

Zsolt and L+MS thanks for the pics! It opens my eyes as to look at the trunk more often. Is it just me or has the grafted broom opened up a little? Thanks!

Rob

• mesterhazypinetum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rob,
    We all are still learning the recognizing different brooms.
    Some years ago I found a dwarf Cupressus sempervirens in a Budapest, Hungary cemetery on a tomb. Some branches were gold tipped, but in the middle there was a specially dense object. That time I didnt knew, what it is.

Cupressus sempervirens MPH Aranycirmos - see in my website 4.0 version.

Today its clear for me, it was a broom. Unfortunately the cemetery direction cleared last year the unwanted plants off the cemetery, by this way the motherplant was destroyed. Fortunately I have a graft of this broom and in some years we may enjoy it. If I should have been recognized it in situ, we may be richer with an unusual broom.
    After listing about 10000 brooms in the world I dont think, we know everything. We need new windows and new knowledge.

Zsolt

• hungrymind
    11 years ago

Zsolt, Thanks for the reply! I will check 4.0 again. The learning is some of the best parts,it keeps me coming back for more! Many great teachers here. Thanks!

Rob

• botann
    11 years ago

Interesting brooms, but who left the stubs on the trunk?
    In my opinion, that's a no-no, even in the wild.
    Mike

• mesterhazypinetum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New additions to the learning process

I found today a strange tree as driving along in a village in Zala county of Hungary.

{{gwi:597898}}
    A Pinus sylvestris in a church garden looks different. There is something happened in the lower part, meanwhile the upper part looks out usual. I went back, of course. Enjoy please the discovery.

Photo from the backside.

{{gwi:597900}}

Obviously its a broom, but seems too big.

{{gwi:597902}}

This seems to be a broom paradise in many details.

{{gwi:597904}}
    The trunk has three low branches, they are independent brooms. I expect the age of the tree about 50-80 years and all are very old. They are the sources of many smaller broom units.

{{gwi:597905}}

Finally I divided 3 main brooms with different habits, density and by needle fashions.

First greater units
    {{gwi:597908}}

{{gwi:597902}}

The roadside broom is the best, Pinus sylvestris MPH Zala Alfa
    {{gwi:597911}}

{{gwi:597913}}

{{gwi:597916}}

{{gwi:597919}}

The second one is not so dense on the backside. Pinus sylvestris MPH Zala Beta

{{gwi:597922}}

The 3rd one is Pinus sylvestris MPH Zala Delta

{{gwi:597924}}

Scions expected in the next year.

Zsolt

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Zsolt that is like a broom bonanza. I was fortunate enough to see a similar thing on a Pinus strobus once, though the brooms I saw were not as nice and tight like the ones you show.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Strobus Broom Tree

• mesterhazypinetum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tom, your strobus bonanza is very unique!
    I think that the mapping of different kinds will give us more knowledge. Years earlier we learned top brooms, ground brooms, now trunk brooms, finally bonanzas. This year by Rob was found nest brooms - meanwhile fighting with owls.
    Nothing is impossible.
    Zsolt

• zsolti_hungary
    11 years ago

Hey! That tree is in Szentgyorgyvar. I had stopped and looked at it many times on my way to the south Hungary. I wanted to graft some this year, but I left it to the next beacause of scheuded life: running business, wedding preporation, house constraction.... My friend did this post, and that is well done.
    Zsolt! You have been in the next village from me and you didn't visited me! I'm angry with U. Sorry.

• mesterhazypinetum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zsolti,
    Join to us as an author of the brooms, its big enough...
    Zsolt

• mesterhazypinetum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have some news about trunks.
    My friend, Jozsef Hodi Toth found a very special cypress. It looks like the cocoa plant, cones are on the trunk. A coniferous hot chocolate!

Enjoy it!

Zsolt

Cupressus glabra Trunkfruit