Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

pinus mugo 'Sherwood compact'

ademink
9 years ago

Scored this beauty at a local nursery. They brought it in for a special job several years ago and didn't use it. I have stalked it for 2 years and after seeing it pull through the winter perfectly while sitting in ball and burlap like this, finally pulled the trigger.

This post was edited by ademink on Fri, May 2, 14 at 10:45

Comments (22)

• severnside
    9 years ago

Score! Mine went into the ground three years ago and has been perfectly happy since, never missed a beat. Yours is a hallmark specimen indeed, this years candles will make that even more of a behemoth before too long, nice thing about buying now.

• ademink
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I worried about it all winter and kicked myself for not buying it. We had the worst winter we've ever experienced for low temps. I can't believe it sat out there in burlap and looks this beautiful. I love it!

• severnside
    9 years ago

One of the 'If I only had one conifer' candidates for sure. You'll have no regrets now.

• ademink
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now to decide where it will live for the rest of my/its life. LOL

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

do you always happen to have spare burlap in the car ... lol ... for just such emergencies???

one of my faves ...

ken

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

nice one!

• sluice
    9 years ago

Choice!

• severnside
    9 years ago

My approx 4yr old in a rainy riot of a border. Yours must be knocking on a decade.

Pinus mugo 'Sherwood Compact'
    {{gwi:599048}}

• ademink
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken...actually I do. LOL Sign of a true addict!

severnside...yours is lovely! I think you hit the nail on the head with the age. The other day I was at the same nursery and the manager told me that it has been at their facility for around 8 years in their back growing area.

• severnside
    9 years ago

They lost an old friend and you gained one as it were. I dream of finding such items tucked away in nurseries.

Does the rootball soil and yours compare? Are you pretty confident of the planting out? You may want to post over on the discussion side and Ken et al can walk you through - he's done the big burlap balls. Of course I may be suggesting you suck eggs, sorry if so.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

she knows how to do it ...

seems like just 8 months or so ago.. she was complaining she couldnt shoehorn in another plant... lol ..

ken

• ademink
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol @ suck an egg and at you, ken....Winter deaths gave me an excuse to plant new stuff! isn't that sad....

• severnside
    9 years ago

Hey Ademink, any update?

Mine has completed it's new growth and basks in the sun surrounded by the pink flowers of Delosperma cooperi.

{{gwi:599050}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

I saw this one on a garden tour back in '08. Don't know how old it was.

{{gwi:599052}}

...and a little closer.

{{gwi:599054}}

tj

• ademink
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow...that one is incredible!

severnside - yours looks GREAT! It's so nice and full!!

Mine is currently heeled in with no home yet. Trying to revamp the yard this year in between working 60 hours a week and it isn't going quickly. UGH.

Had a little inner needle die out initially but it is looking thoroughly happy now. I couldn't figure out why the browning, etc and then - duh - realized that it must have actually rooted at the nursery and they had to cut it out.,

I was panicking but now that it has stabilised I can breathe again.

(ahhhhhh!!! scary!)

• severnside
    9 years ago

Brilliant specimen Tj. I'd hazard a guess at 20-25yrs. I like the way they fill right out to a uniform dome.

Interior dying is no worry Ademink, almost anything will trigger that. At least cleaning the dead needles out is easier than a heldriechii where they are among the very sharp green foliage, ouch! When you do move it again will you try and conserve it's new rootball? I've moved great hemispheres of clay to prevent another root shakeup.

• ademink
    6 years ago

Believe it or not, this baby just now found it's permanent home. It has been in an area in-waiting since 2014...insane. Hubby had 2 shoulder surgeries and 2 back surgeries since then so the yard re-vamp is just now happening. He's nearly bionic! lol The "heel in" location wasn't full sun so it has become a more open habit but it is still doing well. I had to kill off a 'Viridis' JM to create its final resting place but I look forward to seeing it take off now that it is finally home. I'll get a pic shortly. :)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    6 years ago

Looks good there. Thanks for the update.

tj

• Garen Rees
    6 years ago

Love it. Such a great mugo. I like how the needles are so uniform forming clean little cupped tubes.

Here's an old one I just recently saw. It looks a little shaded but doing well. Hidden Lake Gardens, MI, March 2018.

• plantkiller_il_5
    6 years ago

I love it when an overall plant creates textures

ron

• ademink
    6 years ago

That one is fantastic, Garen! Super tight needles. I look forward to new growth this spring!