grafting update

sluice
9 years ago

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Pine Grove Gold'
{{gwi:599260}}

Comments (21)

• severnside
    9 years ago

Excellent Sluice! How thick was the caliper of the branch you grafted? I want to graft my P.menz 'Knaphill' but the branches are pretty thin. It'll certainly test my precision.

This post was edited by severnside on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 15:53

• sluice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Severnside. Both the scions and the understock (U. Idaho P. menziesii SuperStock) were thin, and every graft took!

Pinus pseudopumilio 'Vostrak' (on P. ponderosa)
    {{gwi:599262}}

• pineresin
    9 years ago

"Pinus pseudopumilio 'Vostrak'"

"Pinus pseudopumilio" = Pinus mugo nothosubsp. rotundata (i.e., intergrade between subsp. mugo and subsp. uncinata).

Resin

• gardener365
    9 years ago

svvveet!

Good job man.

Dax

Picea pungens 'Vicksburg' Graft 1
    {{gwi:599264}}
    {{gwi:599266}}
    {{gwi:599268}}

Picea pungens 'Vicksburg' Graft 2
    {{gwi:599270}}
    {{gwi:599273}}

I see I added an "h" to 'Vicksburg'. I'll fix that.

• severnside
    9 years ago

Dax,

Not sure how you mean the buds kept the scion alive. As in If they hadn't pushed then the rootstock was doomed too quickly for the scion to take over? Of that their new foliage would provide the nutrients still needed.

On my mugo grafts the rootstock has galloped away at species tree speed so I've removed all but the apical candles and reduced those by a half. I've also left nurse branches with a single reduced candle. I've taken most needles off apart from a bunch at the top above the graft but left most on the nurse branches both of which divert below the graft. All ok?

Bear in mind that I had to use three year old species as rootstock grafted to last season's growth so the roots will be more developed that normal rootstock perhaps, which is why I've left the nurse branches.

This post was edited by severnside on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 15:49

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Basically most of my Picea rootstocks never pushed a bud and since the rootstock is dead, so were the scions. These two above showed "some sign of life." Key!

What you have to do is keep enough foliage but also eliminate when too much spurts. It sounds as if you've got a grip on that. Remember... there is no rush, ever, to behead the rootstock. Sometimes it takes many years for yourself to feel comfortable about finally removing it... it's always a balancing game of energy needed to support what's above the soil and what's below. When that balance has been mostly fulfilled or fulfilled, then cut it off.

Dax

• sluice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dax, those Vicksburg grafts look great!

Picea glauca 'Palecek'
    {{gwi:599311}}

• sluice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Resin, does this mean pseudopumilio and rotundata are the same?

I had not heard of nothosubspecies before, but now see it refers to "a hybrid between taxa at the subspecies level".

Here is a grafted scion I received as Pinus rotundata 'Eso'.

Would the name then be Pinus mugo nothosubsp. rotundata 'Eso'? I might need to get a larger plant name tag! ;)

'Eso'
    {{gwi:599313}}

• Simoni
    9 years ago

Hi Nate,
    Pinus mugo and Pinus pseudopumilio are two separate species - look please:

http://www.npsumava.cz/storage/str151-157.pdf

L+M S

• sluice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks L+M S!

This paper reports that Pinus ÃÂ pseudopumilio is a stabilized hybrid between P. mugo and P. rotundata, originating from the Bohemian Forest peat bogs.

• sluice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picea pungens 'Mseno'
    {{gwi:599315}}

• severnside
    9 years ago

Looking great Sluice! Can you remind me what the yellow sealant is you use? Probably not available here but is it the same as bonsai sealant?

• maple_grove_gw
    9 years ago

Nice grafts, love the pictures!

Some more information about the relationship between pseudopumilio and the other species was provided in a thread from last year, which I'll link to below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus uncinata...or not?

• sluice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Severnside, that's Doc Farwell's grafting seal (link below).

Thanks for the additional info Alex!

Here is a link that might be useful: Doc Farwell's

• severnside
    9 years ago

Thanks. Not available here but there are bonsai sealants. This time I just ordered some beeswax to make the scion/rootstock convergance notch rainproof. I'll get the bonsai sealant with antiseptic properties to properly seal the next grafts I do. Yours always look well buttoned up.

• sluice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like a good plan. The sealant seems to help preserve tissue hydration at the union.

Pinus jeffreyi 'Pondosa # 3'
    {{gwi:599317}}

Sylvilagus
    {{gwi:599318}}

• severnside
    9 years ago

Always good to see a Jeffrey pine, looking happy!

Ha ha the rabbit actually gave me a start as I scrolled down, wasn't expecting such a severe gaze. Great shot!

• sluice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Severnside!

Here's another one, grafted early March and now starting to extend needles.

P. ponderosa 'Labe'
    {{gwi:599319}}

• severnside
    9 years ago

Good work Sluice, I like the green needles emerging form that mass of candles scales, suggests the reach for life.

It's good that once the new needles are out they then contribute energy back to the scion in return. Consolidation.

• sluice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Severnside. Yes, I'm very glad to see the new growth on these! More early March grafts.

P. ponderosa 'Penaz'
    {{gwi:599321}}

P. ponderosa 'Penaz'
    {{gwi:599322}}

Pinus ponderosa 'Agnieszka'
    {{gwi:599324}}

• severnside
    9 years ago

Looking good Nate! Wow you must have grafts pushing all around, keep on updating.