grafting update

Posted by sluice z6a CO (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 11:39

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Pine Grove Gold'
 photo 3c83ae62-1a65-4494-9c35-67a7004934d5.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grafting update

Excellent Sluice! How thick was the caliper of the branch you grafted? I want to graft my P.menz 'Knaphill' but the branches are pretty thin. It'll certainly test my precision.

This post was edited by severnside on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 15:53

o

Thanks Severnside. Both the scions and the understock (U. Idaho P. menziesii SuperStock) were thin, and every graft took!

Pinus pseudopumilio 'Vostrak' (on P. ponderosa)
 photo cd26f226-fcca-48a9-a10b-68bb1562ece9.jpg

o

"Pinus pseudopumilio 'Vostrak'"

"Pinus pseudopumilio" = Pinus mugo nothosubsp. rotundata (i.e., intergrade between subsp. mugo and subsp. uncinata).

Resin

o

svvveet!

Good job man.

Dax

Picea pungens 'Vicksburg' Graft 1
Picea pungens 'Vicksburg' 1Graft photo PiceapungensVicksburg1Graft.jpg
Picea pungens 1Graft scion photo PiceapungensVicksburg1Graftscion.jpg
'Vicksburg' 1Graft scion bud sheath photo PiceapungensVicksburg1Graftscionbudsheath.jpg

Picea pungens 'Vicksburg' Graft 2
 photo PiceapungensVicksburg2Graft.jpg
Picea pungens 2Graft scion photo PiceapungensVicksburg2Graftscion.jpg

I see I added an "h" to 'Vicksburg'. I'll fix that.

o

Dax,

Not sure how you mean the buds kept the scion alive. As in If they hadn't pushed then the rootstock was doomed too quickly for the scion to take over? Of that their new foliage would provide the nutrients still needed.

On my mugo grafts the rootstock has galloped away at species tree speed so I've removed all but the apical candles and reduced those by a half. I've also left nurse branches with a single reduced candle. I've taken most needles off apart from a bunch at the top above the graft but left most on the nurse branches both of which divert below the graft. All ok?

Bear in mind that I had to use three year old species as rootstock grafted to last season's growth so the roots will be more developed that normal rootstock perhaps, which is why I've left the nurse branches.

This post was edited by severnside on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 15:49

o

Basically most of my Picea rootstocks never pushed a bud and since the rootstock is dead, so were the scions. These two above showed "some sign of life." Key!

What you have to do is keep enough foliage but also eliminate when too much spurts. It sounds as if you've got a grip on that. Remember... there is no rush, ever, to behead the rootstock. Sometimes it takes many years for yourself to feel comfortable about finally removing it... it's always a balancing game of energy needed to support what's above the soil and what's below. When that balance has been mostly fulfilled or fulfilled, then cut it off.

Dax

o

Dax, those Vicksburg grafts look great!

Picea glauca 'Palecek'
 photo bf5fa3fe-aac7-4380-b2e4-bdb644457c9d.jpg

o

Thanks Resin, does this mean pseudopumilio and rotundata are the same?

I had not heard of nothosubspecies before, but now see it refers to "a hybrid between taxa at the subspecies level".

Here is a grafted scion I received as Pinus rotundata 'Eso'.

Would the name then be Pinus mugo nothosubsp. rotundata 'Eso'? I might need to get a larger plant name tag! ;)

'Eso'
 photo cd7e9289-9153-4973-a7f1-0ce7c91af3fc.jpg

o

Hi Nate,
Pinus mugo and Pinus pseudopumilio are two separate species - look please:

http://www.npsumava.cz/storage/str151-157.pdf

L+M S

o

Thanks L+M S!

This paper reports that Pinus × pseudopumilio is a stabilized hybrid between P. mugo and P. rotundata, originating from the Bohemian Forest peat bogs.

o

Picea pungens 'Mseno'
 photo 0ff255b9-daa8-4902-ac59-c78ee69a13e1.jpg

o

Looking great Sluice! Can you remind me what the yellow sealant is you use? Probably not available here but is it the same as bonsai sealant?

o

Nice grafts, love the pictures!

Some more information about the relationship between pseudopumilio and the other species was provided in a thread from last year, which I'll link to below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus uncinata...or not?

o

Severnside, that's Doc Farwell's grafting seal (link below).

Thanks for the additional info Alex!

Here is a link that might be useful: Doc Farwell's

o

Thanks. Not available here but there are bonsai sealants. This time I just ordered some beeswax to make the scion/rootstock convergance notch rainproof. I'll get the bonsai sealant with antiseptic properties to properly seal the next grafts I do. Yours always look well buttoned up.

o

Sounds like a good plan. The sealant seems to help preserve tissue hydration at the union.

Pinus jeffreyi 'Pondosa # 3'
Pinus jeffreyi 'Pondosa # 3' june 21 photo c731a6e6-905a-473a-a6b6-de333401c59f.jpg

Sylvilagus
 photo 0d2c0eb1-7502-40ff-9982-f0587e7db38d.jpg

o

Always good to see a Jeffrey pine, looking happy!

Ha ha the rabbit actually gave me a start as I scrolled down, wasn't expecting such a severe gaze. Great shot!

o

Thanks Severnside!

Here's another one, grafted early March and now starting to extend needles.

P. ponderosa 'Labe'
Ponderosa 'Labe' photo aa2afbad-f671-4ae1-82dd-e2b930665895.jpg

o

Good work Sluice, I like the green needles emerging form that mass of candles scales, suggests the reach for life.

It's good that once the new needles are out they then contribute energy back to the scion in return. Consolidation.

o

Thanks Severnside. Yes, I'm very glad to see the new growth on these! More early March grafts.

P. ponderosa 'Penaz'
ponderosa penaz photo P7270237.jpg

P. ponderosa 'Penaz'
 photo 74e59ff3-ae80-4f9b-bdf1-c24bdfa68beb.jpg

Pinus ponderosa 'Agnieszka'
Pinus ponderosa 'Agnieszka' photo 26be3473-a1e8-43fd-8182-11845b2408c2.jpg

o

Looking good Nate! Wow you must have grafts pushing all around, keep on updating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here