Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cedrus deodara Photo gallery

Posted by firefightergardener Zone 7/8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 14:51

Since no one else has started a photo gallery of 2010 cultivars. I'll kick one off with one of my favorite conifers. I'll try and start a few conifer photo gallery once a week or so - but feel free to start your own - it's certainly the season for photography and there are a huge amount of folks here who can contribute and enjoy your plants! Try and keep your daily photo additions down to a dozen or less and try not to post duplicates unless your cultivars are significantly different or of a much different size! Without further ado, a handful of my Deodara cedars:

Cedrus deodara 'Devinely Blue'. I'll keep the name of the person it's named after, Devine. About 5 years old.
Photobucket

'Gold Cone' Very narrow so far and supposed to stay more narrow then many cedrus. Also about 5 years old.
Photobucket

'Repandens'. 3-4 years old, I may stake up a branch or two.
Photobucket

'Hollandia'. 4-5 years old.
Photobucket

'Hopper's Pendula Select' 3-4 years old. So far exceptionally narrow and pendulous.
Photobucket

-Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cedrus deodara Photo gallery

'Hopper's Pendula Select' - very nice and totally new to me!

o

Sprucebud - I attached the link of the nursery I bought mine at a couple years ago. They have some pretty nice plants.

And since the forums seem slow, I'll post some more pics in hoping to find a few participants!

Cedrus deodara 'Emerald Falls' - A large specimen I bought from Bloom River, I estimate it's age to be about 8-10 years old. Extremely pendulous, basically it's a faster growing Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' with a nice green color.
Photobucket

'Bergmann's Gold Prostrate' - 4 years old, the color doesn't show up well in this image, I'll try and update this once it shows better color - a very nice strong gold.
Photobucket

'Silver Mist' - 4-5 years old, and currently being crowded by some 'pestery' peonies.
Photobucket

'Waverly Ridge' - 3-4 years old, a slow growing dwarf.
Photobucket

'Blue Snake' - Totally pendulous, will grow like a groundcover with long, leggy leaders.
Photobucket

-Will

o

Well I'm dancing with my self on this thread. Hopefully some others share some of their wonderful Cedrus - I know a thread last year(that seems to be gone) had almost 100 cultivars.

Cedrus deodara 'Girard's Weeping'. I'd say 5-7 years old.
Photobucket

'Pygmea'. One of the smallest, most dense deodara's. 3-5 years old.
Photobucket

'Cream Puff'. 5-7 years old maybe. More color probably in 100% sun, this gets 6-8 hours a day.
Photobucket

'Vink's Golden'. About 4 years old.
Photobucket

'Snow Sprite'. About 5 years old. Slower growing then 'Silver Mist' with very similar colors.
Photobucket

Join the fun!

-Will

o

More little cedars to show.

Cedrus deodara 'Blue Ball' Little guy, 2-3 years old.

'White Imp'. Hasn't grown much in two Summers, we'll see.
Photobucket

'Scott'. Almost a miniature, dense, tiny needles. Light Green older growth.
Photobucket

'Deep Cove'. A slow growing, white/green new growth. Mounds over itself. 6-7 years old.
Photobucket

-Will

o

Nice specimens!
Where did you purchase 'Hopper's Pendula Select'? Did I miss the link?

o

I love the Deep Cove. Cedrus do well for us in the heat. It's on my key specimen list set for delivery this fall. I like getting to see another sample of one in someone's garden other than just the one on Bizon's site.

mark

o

Sorry, forgot to include the link for Cedrus deodara 'Pendula Hopper Select'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Singtree nursery

o

Are you keeping the name of the person, Devine, to yourself for reasons of the persons privacy and is this a newer introduction?

Thanks much .. ... !(;^)

Dax

o

Here's a cedrus thread from last year. It seems like the GardenWeb search feature isn't consistent sometimes.

Here is a link that might be useful: a cedrus parade

o

Yes, at least for me it can be a stretch for my sometimes (not often) fading memory. Otherwise, it's always been dilaed for me.

Again I thank you all for posting photos. Will you certainly do an excellent job not only starting threads but gaining participation, rather easily. It's your fancy garden that oftten allows this!!! (:0)

Dax

o

I wish there were more folks sharing photos, I was hoping to fill these posts with hundreds of photos but I guess a lot are too busy or too recently posted photos last year.

For my part, I think I'll continue posting photos, even if my plants are usually tiny and not showing much character yet.

Glad some folks are enjoying them, regardless!

:)

-Will

o

You're right Will, I was hoping to that more members show their Cedrus varieties to us.
I showed all mine in the formerly tread from which Nate showed us the link recently...

o

I have a lot more to show but of course most are very small/young plants. Hopefully this thread will pick up like the picea pungens thread has.

o

Fletch, I was going to ask you to send me some pictures of your place, until I could make it over there, but this should do. it was great talking to a fellow collector today, I can't wait to see your place when I recover, hostajim1

o

Photobucket
Cedrus deodara 'Buffalo'

Photobucket
Cedrus deodara 'Blue Surprise'

o

Cedrus deodara are a weakness for me...and they take our heat well.

That Blue Surprise is beautiful.

mark

o

Any one have info on Cedrus Deodara 'Electra'Or Bushe's Electra? I have some conflicting info on Rate of growth.

o

'Lime Glow'. Significant varigation present, might burn a bit in full sun.
Photobucket

-Will

o

A handful more...

Cedrus deodara 'Prostrate Beauty'
Photobucket

'Klondike'. Fantastic gold color with no burn in full sun.
Photobucket

'Gold Cascade'. On Standard.
Photobucket

'Pendula'. This one looks like it was tailored. Normally relatively quick grower, into a large, weeping mound.
Photobucket

'Aurea Pendula'
Photobucket

'Montrose Veil'
Photobucket

'Karl Fuchs'. A relatively narrow, cold-hardy upright with nice blue needles. 3-4 years old.
Photobucket

'Gold Horizon'
Photobucket

'Raywood's Contorted'. Funky, chaotic growth.
Photobucket

o

Cedrus deodara 'Blue Dwarf'
Detail
Cedrus deodara 'Blue Dwarf' detail

o

A few more that somehow got lost in the shuffle.

Cedrus deodara 'Mountain Beauty'. Looks quite dwarf.
Photobucket

'Blue Ball'
Photobucket

o

Cedrus deodara 'Blue Dwarf' 1

Cedrus deodara 'Blue Dwarf' 2

o
Rats

Oops! should be in the 2011 gallery, no harm in a bump though : )

o
Help me identify my cultivar

I have just had a beautiful cedrus deodara planted in my back yard. It is about 10 feet tall. I am unsure of the cultivar, and am wondering if someone could help me identify it, so I can plan for it's growth pattern with the rest of the garden. I appreciate your assistance, it is clear that you all have a great deal of knowledge about this particular variety. Thanks.jah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here