Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Cedrus deodara Photo gallery

Since no one else has started a photo gallery of 2010 cultivars. I'll kick one off with one of my favorite conifers. I'll try and start a few conifer photo gallery once a week or so - but feel free to start your own - it's certainly the season for photography and there are a huge amount of folks here who can contribute and enjoy your plants! Try and keep your daily photo additions down to a dozen or less and try not to post duplicates unless your cultivars are significantly different or of a much different size! Without further ado, a handful of my Deodara cedars:

Cedrus deodara 'Devinely Blue'. I'll keep the name of the person it's named after, Devine. About 5 years old.

{{gwi:599720}}

'Gold Cone' Very narrow so far and supposed to stay more narrow then many cedrus. Also about 5 years old.

{{gwi:599724}}

'Repandens'. 3-4 years old, I may stake up a branch or two.

{{gwi:599725}}

'Hollandia'. 4-5 years old.

{{gwi:599726}}

'Hopper's Pendula Select' 3-4 years old. So far exceptionally narrow and pendulous.

{{gwi:599728}}

-Will

Comments (24)

• sprucebud
    13 years ago

'Hopper's Pendula Select' - very nice and totally new to me!

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sprucebud - I attached the link of the nursery I bought mine at a couple years ago. They have some pretty nice plants.

And since the forums seem slow, I'll post some more pics in hoping to find a few participants!

Cedrus deodara 'Emerald Falls' - A large specimen I bought from Bloom River, I estimate it's age to be about 8-10 years old. Extremely pendulous, basically it's a faster growing Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' with a nice green color.
    {{gwi:599729}}

'Bergmann's Gold Prostrate' - 4 years old, the color doesn't show up well in this image, I'll try and update this once it shows better color - a very nice strong gold.
    {{gwi:599731}}

'Silver Mist' - 4-5 years old, and currently being crowded by some 'pestery' peonies.
    {{gwi:599733}}

'Waverly Ridge' - 3-4 years old, a slow growing dwarf.
    {{gwi:599735}}

'Blue Snake' - Totally pendulous, will grow like a groundcover with long, leggy leaders.
    {{gwi:599736}}

-Will

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I'm dancing with my self on this thread. Hopefully some others share some of their wonderful Cedrus - I know a thread last year(that seems to be gone) had almost 100 cultivars.

Cedrus deodara 'Girard's Weeping'. I'd say 5-7 years old.
    {{gwi:599737}}

'Pygmea'. One of the smallest, most dense deodara's. 3-5 years old.
    {{gwi:599738}}

'Cream Puff'. 5-7 years old maybe. More color probably in 100% sun, this gets 6-8 hours a day.
    {{gwi:599739}}

'Vink's Golden'. About 4 years old.
    {{gwi:599740}}

'Snow Sprite'. About 5 years old. Slower growing then 'Silver Mist' with very similar colors.
    {{gwi:599741}}

Join the fun!

-Will

• abciximab
    13 years ago

Nice specimens!
    Where did you purchase 'Hopper's Pendula Select'? Did I miss the link?

• texjagman
    13 years ago

I love the Deep Cove. Cedrus do well for us in the heat. It's on my key specimen list set for delivery this fall. I like getting to see another sample of one in someone's garden other than just the one on Bizon's site.

mark

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, forgot to include the link for Cedrus deodara 'Pendula Hopper Select'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Singtree nursery

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Are you keeping the name of the person, Devine, to yourself for reasons of the persons privacy and is this a newer introduction?

Thanks much .. ... !(;^)

Dax

• sluice
    13 years ago

Here's a cedrus thread from last year. It seems like the GardenWeb search feature isn't consistent sometimes.

Here is a link that might be useful: a cedrus parade

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Yes, at least for me it can be a stretch for my sometimes (not often) fading memory. Otherwise, it's always been dilaed for me.

Again I thank you all for posting photos. Will you certainly do an excellent job not only starting threads but gaining participation, rather easily. It's your fancy garden that oftten allows this!!! (:0)

Dax

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish there were more folks sharing photos, I was hoping to fill these posts with hundreds of photos but I guess a lot are too busy or too recently posted photos last year.

For my part, I think I'll continue posting photos, even if my plants are usually tiny and not showing much character yet.

Glad some folks are enjoying them, regardless!

:)

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

You're right Will, I was hoping to that more members show their Cedrus varieties to us.
    I showed all mine in the formerly tread from which Nate showed us the link recently...

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a lot more to show but of course most are very small/young plants. Hopefully this thread will pick up like the picea pungens thread has.

• hostajim1
    13 years ago

Fletch, I was going to ask you to send me some pictures of your place, until I could make it over there, but this should do. it was great talking to a fellow collector today, I can't wait to see your place when I recover, hostajim1

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

{{gwi:599746}}
    Cedrus deodara 'Buffalo'

{{gwi:599748}}
    Cedrus deodara 'Blue Surprise'

• texjagman
    13 years ago

Cedrus deodara are a weakness for me...and they take our heat well.

That Blue Surprise is beautiful.

mark

• toucanjoe
    13 years ago

Any one have info on Cedrus Deodara 'Electra'Or Bushe's Electra? I have some conflicting info on Rate of growth.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

'Lime Glow'. Significant varigation present, might burn a bit in full sun.
    {{gwi:599750}}

-Will

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A handful more...

Cedrus deodara 'Prostrate Beauty'
    {{gwi:599752}}

'Klondike'. Fantastic gold color with no burn in full sun.
    {{gwi:599754}}

'Gold Cascade'. On Standard.
    {{gwi:599756}}

'Pendula'. This one looks like it was tailored. Normally relatively quick grower, into a large, weeping mound.
    {{gwi:599757}}

'Aurea Pendula'
    {{gwi:599758}}

'Montrose Veil'
    {{gwi:599759}}

'Karl Fuchs'. A relatively narrow, cold-hardy upright with nice blue needles. 3-4 years old.
    {{gwi:599760}}

'Gold Horizon'
    {{gwi:599762}}

'Raywood's Contorted'. Funky, chaotic growth.
    {{gwi:599763}}

• severnside
    13 years ago

Cedrus deodara 'Blue Dwarf'
    {{gwi:599764}}
    Detail
    {{gwi:599765}}

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few more that somehow got lost in the shuffle.

Cedrus deodara 'Mountain Beauty'. Looks quite dwarf.
    {{gwi:599766}}

'Blue Ball'
    {{gwi:599767}}

• severnside
    12 years ago

Cedrus deodara 'Blue Dwarf'

{{gwi:599768}}

{{gwi:599770}}

• severnside
    12 years ago

Oops! should be in the 2011 gallery, no harm in a bump though : )

• jahart
    11 years ago

I have just had a beautiful cedrus deodara planted in my back yard. It is about 10 feet tall. I am unsure of the cultivar, and am wondering if someone could help me identify it, so I can plan for it's growth pattern with the rest of the garden. I appreciate your assistance, it is clear that you all have a great deal of knowledge about this particular variety. Thanks.jah