Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Cedrus in MD...

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

IâÂÂve always loved the cedars (Cedrus genus). When I lived in Ohio, it wasnâÂÂt really worth trying them due to lack of cold hardiness (I did know a couple people successfully growing libani spp. Stenocoma).

Here in MD, theyâÂÂre ALL OVERâ¦so I think all three of the âÂÂmajorâ species-- atlantica, deodara, and libani, all do well here.

What can you tell me about them?

My favorites are the deodaras, they have this soft, inviting presence, where the libanis and atlanticas, while beautiful, are more âÂÂhardâ looking if that makes sense.

However, it seems there are a lot of cultivarsâ¦IâÂÂve seen deodaras with a VERY wide stanceâ¦probably 60â tall but a good 40â wide, and IâÂÂve seen some that are very narrow, almost looking as if theyâÂÂre growing way up a mountain near the tree line, with a more open, slightly irregular branching arrangement, still conical, but narrow with gaps in the branch whorls.

If I were to get one, the options seem endless. Maybe a cultivar list would helpâ¦can someone enlighten me?

Also...what are some good nurseries in the area for conifers? Anything within a 2 hr drive of Howard County, MD...