Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Picea omorika Photo Gallery 2011

Another one of my favorite conifers, be it species or the many cultivars. The shiny, silvery-blue green needles are often in many beautiful forms, weeping, cascading, arching or very compact buns of shimmering color. I search for new cultivars relentlessly, one of my big five favorites(Abies procera, Abies koreana, Picea omorika, Pinus parviflora and Cedrus cultivars), the great conifer grandfathers of Europe have discovered and named many precious plants over the long years. Here are some from my collection - please feel free to share any of yours.

As with all of these galleries, last years enormous gallery is linked below...

Picea omorika 'Nana'. Becoming more and more common, but no less beautiful, a great bun of colorful foliage that eventually forms an upright leader and grows around 4-10 inches a year, depending on climate. This specimen is roughly 10-12 years old.

{{gwi:606706}}

'Treblitsch'. One of my small dwarves that border on miniature status(an inch a year or less). 6-10 years old.

{{gwi:606707}}

'Gotelli's Weeping'. A more bluish-silver VERY narrow spire of weeping foliage. Older specimens can be 20' tall and 3' wide. My specimen was a grafted side branch so it has required significant encouragement to head upwards and presume a true leader.

{{gwi:606708}}

'Schneverdingen'. A tiny cultivar, named after the town it was discovered in I believe, grows maybe a half inch a year.

{{gwi:606709}}

'Peve Tijn'. Similar to 'Nana', with half the growth rate, forms a tight mound of gold-green before eventually forming a leader.

{{gwi:606710}}

Lots more over the next few weeks!

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea omorika Photo Gallery, 2010

Comments (25)

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

'Bruns'

{{gwi:600500}}

• severnside
    12 years ago

Hand crafted by jewel-smiths...

'Pimoko'
    {{gwi:606712}}

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Will, Picea omorika cultivars are one of my favorits to because of it's 3 colour combination of green, blue and silver.

'Treblitsch' must be written as 'Treblitzsch'

'Peve Tijn' was found as a yellow branch mutation on a 'Nana' by Piet Vergeldt from the Netherlands.

The 'Gotelli's Weeping' isn't that narrow as you mentioned and is not a true weeping form.
    Simular plants could be found between seedlings which looks like a slender species tree.

'Schneverdingen' is found by the Horstmann Nursery from Germany and named after their home town.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

More Serbian spruce cultivars, though I will yield to Dave's single specimen plants as I see threads to contribute.

'Tremonia'. Another slow growing dwarf.
    {{gwi:606714}}

'Freya'. I've seen older specimens and they seem to be more of a squat upright dwarf. Mine doesn't resemble these at all yet, and has about four eratic leaders. This may be a losing battle and a plant I move to a public space in our neighborhood. Maybe some space will bring out it's best.
    {{gwi:606715}}

'Postorna'. A true miniature and very choice. Stephen(of Foxhollow's gem gardens) has a magnificient older specimen.
    {{gwi:606716}}

'Hallonet'. Another very slow grower.
    {{gwi:606717}}

'Elisabeth'. Very slow growing and upright, similar to 'Nana' only slower and perhaps more narrow. The old specimen at Coenosium Gardens had me smitten at first sight.
    {{gwi:606718}}

'Frohnleiten'
    {{gwi:606719}}

-Will

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Will, does your 'Freya' shows us some white new growth at the under part or is this just a light issue?
    If it does, then it's correct cultivar name is 'White Tip', 'White Top' in the U.S.
    It sure has the growing habbit for it...
    Did you became it via our friend Bob?

• dietzjm
    12 years ago

These are some of my favorites!

Picea omorika "White Tops": 3 inch pure white new growth burns slightly in full sun.
    {{gwi:606720}}

Picea omorika "Aurea"
    {{gwi:606721}}

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Edwin, 'Freya' doesn't appear to have any gold or white, that's a strip of sunlight, not coloration. I'm fairly sure of it's authenticity. I also have a 'White Top' down on my neighbors street planting and this year it finally showed considerable color and makes me sure of it's naming as well.

Here are a few more I took recently:

Picea omorika 'Minima'. Clement's specimen is ancient and very small, but mine shows considerable growth. From Iseli so I am fairly sure of it's naming.
    {{gwi:606722}}

'Berliner's Weeper'. Doesn't want to go up yet - still - so I keep assisting it as such.
    {{gwi:606723}}

'Aurea'. Shows better color in full sun, and the color lasts for a fair bit, but it's not real evident and I wouldn't personally recommend this plant over other gold ones.
    {{gwi:606724}}

'Froendenberg'. A very small dwarf.
    {{gwi:606725}}

'Wodan'. A cross of Picea breweriana and omorika I believe, very unusual foliage. My specimen in the front is much more upright.
    {{gwi:606726}}

'Pimoko'. One of the smaller dwarves. Very sivlery-blue once the needles mature.
    {{gwi:606728}}

'Gnom'. Growing unusually!
    {{gwi:606730}}

-Will

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Will, you've a nice collections of Picea omorika cultivars!

'Minima' is renamed in 'Minimax' because it's found after 1959 and after this year Latin cultivar names are iligitimate.
    'Minimax' is a witches' broom from P. omorika 'Nana' so it's a witches' broom from a witches' broom which is very rare...originated at the Jeddeloh Nursery, Germany.

Picea omorika (x) 'Wodan' is indeed a cross with Picea breweriana found by Kurt Wittboldt Muller from Germany.

Picea omorika 'Gnom' is also a cross and must bin written as Picea mariorika (x) 'Gnom', it's a cross between P. mariana and P. omorika.
    This one is also found at the Jeddeloh Nursery.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Edwin, dutifully updating my photo galleries and databases. It's fun and educational getting info and correct naming/species listings.

Picea omorika 'Osmaston #1'. Very unusual foliage and very slow growing.
    {{gwi:606733}}

Picea omorika(X breweriana) 'Wodan'. Showing different form.
    {{gwi:606735}}

'White Top'. Part of my collection though technically on my neighbors parking area, and thus his plant!(lol).
    {{gwi:606736}}

'Karel'. I think this time the right cultivar, though it's growing faster then Edwin's plant.
    {{gwi:606738}}

'Buttermilk Falls'. A variegated semi-weeper(I need to stake mine soon), from Bob Fincham on a specimen of 'Pendula Major', which itself is a rare plant. I believe Bob is still evaluating it's attributes before he offers it widely.
    {{gwi:606739}}

'Zuckerhut'. Seems similar to 'Nana' though slower.
    {{gwi:606740}}

'Compacta'. About 15 years old.
    {{gwi:606741}}

Picea x 'Troemner'. A neat cross of Picea pungens 'Koster' and Picea omorika, it grows incredibly fast and has some Picea omorika habits with a nice blue-silver color more common in Picea pungens. I'll eventually wipe out the center ring(and paths) to make room for this beauty, happy even if it dominates part of the backyard.
    {{gwi:606742}}

'Kuck's Weeping'. Stephen posted a great specimen photo last year.
    {{gwi:606744}}

• sprucebud
    12 years ago

{{gwi:606745}}

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Will, your 'Karel' isn't the right one, it grows way to fast.
    The reason for this fast growth could be that it's grafted.
    This is the right 'Karel' (growing under bad circumstances, it's under a big Pinus densiflora 'Oculis-draconis')
    {{gwi:606747}}

• rispetto
    12 years ago

{{gwi:606749}}
    Komann

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

'Pancake'. I have yet to see another specimen, maybe because it's not a normal form, but this laterally growing spreader is a nice plant if you have the space.
    {{gwi:606752}}

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Richard, your 'Bruns' is getting prettier by the year.
    I guess it's one of a only a few in the U.K.

Rispetto, please change 'Kommann' into 'Koemann'

Will, that 'Pancake' is a special cultivar because of it's pretty flat growing habit.
    I never saw a mature plant of this cultivar but it seems that it want to make leader which reminds me of 'Expansa' which does the same.
    Several 'Pancake' discriptions mentioned that you have to prune to leader to keep it low...

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    12 years ago

would the need to prune leaders as they arise make 'Pancake' a cultivarient; a plant that's been propagating through grafting a branch?

I have a young specimen of Picea omorika 'Prostrata.' Is this a correct name, or is it actually 'Pancake?'

~Dave

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

{{gwi:606754}}
    Picea omorika "Fuchs"
    Clement

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Clement, that a nice and very tight Picea omorika broom.
    It seems that there are several 'Fuchs' brooms and they all have a number.
    Which number belongs to this broom?

Here is a link that might be useful: brooms

• gardener365
    12 years ago

One of the best omorika's I've seen Clement.

Dax

• henksgarden
    12 years ago

More Picea omorika brooms

{{gwi:606757}}
    Picea omorika Miriam

{{gwi:606759}}
    Picea omorika Postorna
    {{gwi:606761}}
    Picea omorika Schneverdingen

{{gwi:606763}}
    Picea omorika Tremonia

Henk

• sprucebud
    12 years ago

Picea omorika 'Zuckerhut'
    {{gwi:606764}}

• sprucebud
    12 years ago

Picea omorika 'Bruns'
    {{gwi:606765}}

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

Edwin, probably "Fuchs 6"

Clement

• sprucebud
    12 years ago

Picea omorika 'Aurea'
    {{gwi:606766}}

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I just love 'Pendula Bruns'

{{gwi:606768}}

'Nana'
    {{gwi:606770}}

• severnside
    12 years ago

Hey, are those the big rocks you were gifted Whaas? Nice job.