Pinus strobus photo gallery 2012

dietzjm
11 years ago

Another of my favorites.

Pinus strobus 'Brevifolia'

{{gwi:607645}}

Pinus strobus 'Mini Twists'

{{gwi:607647}}

Pinus strobus 'Tiny Kurls': faster growing than 'Mini Twists' and with shorter needles

{{gwi:607649}}

Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls'

{{gwi:607651}}

Pinus strobus 'North Star Gold': looks like it's fast growing. Has brighter color in the winter

{{gwi:607653}}

Comments (21)

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Pinus strobus 'Brevifolia' has an awesome blue color.

I'm looking forward to getting a 'Niagra Falls' next spring. Its supposed to be the bushiest of all the pendulous cultivars.

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Pinus strobus 'Horsford'
    {{gwi:607655}}

-Sam

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

tiny kurls.. with that aggressive growth, on what looks like a very young plant.. and presumably a recent planting..

is NOT going to be tiny for long ...

ken

• dietzjm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar': Supposed to be tighter and take snow loads better than 'Fastigiata'.
    {{gwi:607657}}

Pinus strobus 'Blue Shag': Very common, I don't know why it's called blue, it looks pretty green to me.
    {{gwi:607659}}
    Pinus strobus 'Wiggles': One of the best, even more compact than 'Mini Twists'
    {{gwi:607660}}

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Sam, that 'Horsford' looks faster then mine. How large/old is that specimen?

'Mini Twists' is indeed much faster then 'mini'! :)

'Uncatena'
    {{gwi:607662}}

'Coney Island'
    {{gwi:607663}}

A good name!
    {{gwi:607664}}

'Chillier's C.V.' - I need a correction perhaps with the name - perhaps just 'Chillier'?? About 15 years old.
    {{gwi:607665}}

-Will

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Matt, Sam and Will, you're showing us some very nice pics of white pine cultivars.
    It's a pitty that always the same members here are showing their pics...

Matt, the 'Brevifolia' is a very old cultivar (hence it Latin cultivar name), it was found in 1855 as a seedling selection.

'Mini Twists' and 'Tiny Kurls' are brother and sister plants, find as a cross between Pinus strobus 'Contorta' and Pinus strobus 'Horsham', selected by Greg Williams.

The 'Mini Twists' is a smaller version of the 'Tiny Kurls'.
    'Tiny Kurls will grow fast at first but will slow down at a later age

Pinus strobus 'Tiny Kurls'
    {{gwi:607666}}

Imo the 'Niagara Falls' should be staked to see it's realy beautifull shape.
    Growing it this way a miniature waterfall will appaer which is much more beautiful then creeping around a bit at the ground...
    It's found as a witches' broom on a Pinus strobus 'Pendula'.

The 'Stowe Pillar' was also found by Greg Williams at Stowe Mountain, Vermont.

'Blue Shag' will be blue as the needles are hardened off, the only thing you've to do is wait and see... ;0)

'Wiggles' and 'Squiggles' are also brother and sister plants, they're found by Andy Duvall.

Sam, that 'Horsford' is a pretty old specimen indeed, I never saw such a big one.
    It was found in 1979 by Mr. Horsford from Vermont.

Will, The 'Uncatena' was found in 1979 at the Arnold Arboretum, I don't know if it arose as a seedling or a witches' broom...

The 'Coney Island' does have a very good name :0)
    It was found in 1989 as a witches' broom by Sidney Waxmann in Woodstock.

Unfortunately there's no info to find about the 'Chillier's C.V.'.
    All I can say is that I like it's colour and shape :0)

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

'Stowe Pillar'
    {{gwi:433259}}

'Nana'
    {{gwi:607667}}

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

{{gwi:607668}}

• toucanjoe
    11 years ago

Pinus Strobus 'Sea Urchin' {{gwi:607669}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

The key to long life of 'Horsford' and many other dwarf Pinus strobus cultivars is to clean out the dead needles from the inside every year late in the winter. This provides good air circulation which prevents disease problems in the wet spring season.

This particular plant appears to be at least 20-25 years old, I'd say. Thank you for the nice comments on this specimen.
    {{gwi:607670}}

-Sam

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Sam, are most the pics you post from Alba? If so, man you/they do a great job with woody/perennial plantings around the conifers.

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Yes, nearly all of the plants I photograph are at Albers Vista Gardens. (see link below)
    Dr. John Albers has been working on the garden since 1999, and this was one of the first areas he developed.

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Albers Vista Gardens

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

{{gwi:607672}}

From the Harper Collection
    Pinus strobus 'Sea Urchin'

{{gwi:607674}}

Pinus strobus 'Pendula'

{{gwi:607676}}

tj

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Found a place called Lakeview Garden Center today. They have everything!

Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls' with Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls' to the left.

{{gwi:607678}}

Everything was 30% off. I had to get something. I just had to. I pondered on these two for an hour or so and left $107 poorer with a giant 'Angel Falls' stuffed into my Scion XB shoe box car. The 'Niagara Falls' was fantastic but more expensive. The wife is going to kill me I was supposed to be buying new shoes. Who needs shoes when you can have an 'Angel Falls' instead. =) The one I got was the only 'Angel Falls' that still had a leader going somewhat up. All the rest had them cut off. Yay, my first Pinus strobus and biggest conifer I have ever bought. It will need some big time root surgery this fall.

A big Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls' - Fantastic fuzzy monster. The smaller ones were more wide and bushy with at least two leaders spreading in opposite directions. This big one was more upright and looked like it was staked for height.

{{gwi:607679}}

• greenhaven
    11 years ago

TJ, that 'Pendula' is a-MAZE-ing! I am also loving Will's 'Chillier's C.V.' I have so run out of planting/planning steam in this heat, but these galleries really do their job. ;o)

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

'Fastigiata'
    {{gwi:607682}}

-Sam

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

'Mini Twists'
    {{gwi:607685}}

'Louie'
    {{gwi:607687}}

'Bennett Clumpleaf' (a very unique cultivar I received from Brent Markus at Conifer Kingdom. Its needles, that are typically in fascicles of five, are clumped together into one extra-thick needle. The first picture shows what the needle cluster looks like before it is rolled between your fingers, and the second photo (after being rolled between your fingers) reveals the five needles that were initially clumped together.)
    {{gwi:607689}}
    {{gwi:607691}}
    {{gwi:607692}}

-Sam

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

'Mini Twists'
    {{gwi:607693}}

-Sam

• mnfairy
    10 years ago

I just bought a Pinus strobus 'Contorta' at a plant sale today and loved all of the pictures I found here today. If I want to find some of the mini varieties, do I have to do mail order (I live in zone 4 Minnesota)?

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

Hi mnfairy,

Mini's can usually be found at garden centers that get shipments from Iseli. You won't find them at big box stores. Mail order is the best way to find what you want.

Best way to introduce yourself to great conifers and mini's is to type "photo gallery 2012" or 2011 etc. in the search bar on gardenweb and peruse the many different conifer species galleries. check out any of the galleries that pop up in the search and I'm sure you'll have a list of conifers you must have in no time. Then do a web search for exactly what you want and your bound to find a mail order source. =)

• mnfairy
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. garen59. I did look at some of the photo gallery, will check out the rest later on. I always get great info. on the garden web.