Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
how393

Can the cypress macrocarpa live in tropical country like Malaysia

how393
10 years ago

Good Evening, I am a conifer fans that live in a hot and humid tropical country named Malaysia. Now, I have planted a series of conifer like juniper, pine and thuja which can outstand the hot and humid weather in this country. However, now I am having a question that for an environment which the weather tempreture always ranging from 30c - 32c, can the cypress macrocarpa survive in this place. I am so fortune to got some of the seeds for this plant and having a great hope to grow them up at the garden of mine. Do anyone have a good experience to know about this tree to live in tropic?

Comments (18)

• sluice
    10 years ago

I don't know much about this tree, except for seeing it in the California bay area.

Can you post a list of the conifers you are growing in Malaysia?

• how393
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have just moved in about 2 years to my current home, Most of this tree do not grow more then 2 years from my address. But may be some of them are brought here as a more mature body.
    Currently, as all below mentioned are the species that I am keeping now in my garden.
    There are the conifers that can live in the tropical country which is the highest tempreture of days may reaching up to 33c to 34c in the hottest condition.
    I have calculated and there is about total 11 species now that I am keeping in my garden.
    pinus caribaea, juniperus chinensis, juniperus communis, juniperus chinensis kaizuka, blue and gold, Thuja occidentalis, thuja orientalis, cupressus sempervirens, casuarina noblis, casuarina junghuhniana, juniperus scopulorum, Chamaecyparis obtusa.
    If you guys knowing that there are some species that can live in such a hot tropical country in Malaysia, please do not hesitate to introduce them to me. 

• how393
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually my biggest dream is to own some abies fir in this conifer garden. I am just worry that here is too hot for them to grow and survive in this climate. Do you know is that any species fir which can grow in hot climate?

• liopleurodon
    10 years ago

Best way to really know what you can grow is by visiting a local arboretum to see what they can grow.

The southernmost firs that come into mind are usually high-altitude species (and therefore not really tropical).

If any fir species would survive in your climate then I think you should consider trying:
    - Abies guatemalensis (heat loving, from central America, very rare so it will be difficult to get any seeds from that species; but I think this would be your best bet)

This post was edited by liopleurodon on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 9:14

• how393
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks man, haha, i think i really have some challenge to get the Abies guatemalensis as you said its only can be found in country in south america which is so far from Asia. : ( But anyhow, i will continue add on some different species of conifer in my garden but by condition they can live in the hot climate in malaysia.

• liopleurodon
    10 years ago

Some firs closer to your location ("south-eastern" part of Asia) are:
    Abies densa (Bhutan, Myanmar, ...)
    Abies delavayi (widespread, south to north Vietnam)
    But I doubt they would be happy to grow in Malaysia though (they're both high-mountain species). However, if you can get seeds of them easily then it would always be an interesting test. :)

This post was edited by liopleurodon on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 16:57

• how393
    Original Author
    10 years ago

true, because I am living in the low land area, the tempreture is hot and humid here and what I think they are hard to to survive in area like this. But in malaysia, if this abies are planted in the area like cameron highland or the fraser hill whereby the daily tempreture is from 25c to 18c,i think these abies will definately does well in those area. the attach photo is the cypress macrocarpa that live well in the cameron highland of malaysia, they really grow into a huge tree in the highland.

• sluice
    10 years ago

Nice. It looks like there is Araucaria? I'm amazed that you can grow J. scopulorum. Wow!

• how393
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ya, it is the araucaria, i have planted more than twenty here and there at the side and the back of the hill slope. I hope it will grow into a big tree like i can be found in many area in this country. J. scopulorum just doing well only, they grow a bit slow may be due to the hot weather. the best grower are the casuarina nobilis, within two years, they have grown more than 8 feet from a baby tree to become a bigger one. this is strongly due to them are the origin conifer from tropic. : )

• how393
    Original Author
    9 years ago

latest growing condition for all the conifer living in this hot tropical environment

• arauquoia
    9 years ago

Would you be interested in exchanging conifer seed for Araucaria and/or Agathis seed that might be available to you?

(I'm thinking of, say, Dawn Redwood seed, Bald Cypress seed, Pond Cypress seed, others as well, I'm sure.)

• how393
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am sorry that I dont have the conifer seed as you mentioned. This is because most of the tree that you mentioned they could be found in nursery. this is latest growing condition of my tropical conifer garden. : )

• scotjute Z8
    9 years ago

how393, the Cypress macrocarpa grow along the coast of California where the temperature seldom gets over 78 F in the summer. They tend to be fall to disease and insects when grown outside of that environment.

Virginia Juniper (Eastern Red Cedar) is a tree that you might consider. It grows from hot/humid Louisiana all the way to the northern border of the US. It does need to be in a well-drained soil when in Louisiana.

Also there is a cypress that grows in Mexico you might consider, Cupressus lusitanica. I have a hybrid from it that is growing ok here in hot dry Z8 Tx. but acts like it would like a wetter climate - C. ovensii.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I actually think the only Asian Abies worth trying is A. firma. The high elevation ones are all going to find it too hot I suspect. It may or may not mind the lack of seasons. It can grow in Orlando, which cools down in winter, but not by much.

As for Cupressus-like plants, well, Cupressus torulosa is found at elevations as low as 300m, which would certainly be hot and humid for most of the year in SE Asia. But again, north India, SW China, and N Vietnam still have seasons. So, who knows.

Googling the spelling, I just stumbled upon this nursery that I'd never heard of: Fokienia hodginsii (Chamaecyparis hodginsii) | Xenoflora Fokienia hodginsii is also in the Cupressaceae...

Finally, one nobody has mentioned is Juniperus barbadensis. Probably hard to get, as would be various Mexican junipers or J. bermudiana. However I suspect these are the least demanding of seasonal change. Bermuda does cool down in winter, but compared to SE Asia, there's less variance in rainfall and I suspect the plants wouldn't miss the change at all. The Fairchild in Miami has both species, but none of the Mexican ones.

I'm surprised we haven't heard from pineresin.

• George Guthrie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

well, "blue" forms of cunninghamia lanceolata and c. konishii (the nursery David linked to sells a blue form of konishii) might be fairly tolerant of hot humid climates. there are also supposedly similar colored leaf forms of taiwania cyptomerioides and of nagiea (aka podocarpus) nagi plus other interesting podocarpus in different colors (p. nerifolius for example) as well as plants in dacrydium, dacrycarpus, and agathis to consider. hope this helps.

• jasontandeals
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

how393, may I know where you get your coniferous trees from in Malaysia?

• Filho Fernández
    5 years ago
    I'm trying to get some hinoki cypress obtusa, to grow them in Panama,in Central America. Do you think they would survive is hot and humid as Malaysia