Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Cedrus cultivars in my garden

dcsteg
11 years ago

I'll do 5 with a little back ground info.

In spite of all the hellish climate conditions this year these cultivars flourished and presented themselves well.

All photos taken 8/26/2012.

Dave

Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Horstmann'. A Gunter Horstmann cultivar of Germany. Silvery-blue needles on a compact upright plant. Terrific cultivar for small properties where a blue evergreen accent is desired; Zones 6 - 9

{{gwi:609879}}

Cedrus libani var. alantica 'Green Prince'. This quirky little tree takes many forms. With short, medium green needles and dramatic, irregular branching, some specimens grow up and others grow out, but all look attractive. Mine grows both ways.

{{gwi:609880}}

Cedrus libani subsp. brevifolia 'Kenwith'. A miniature. Leaves gray green and look like larch at end of stem. Plant Bonsai like, growing an inch a year and somewhat upright. Found by Kenwith Nurseries at Bideford, Devon, England about 1992. 10 Year Dimensions: 12 ins. X 5 ins.

USDA Zone: 6.

{{gwi:609881}}

Cedrus deodara 'Eisregen'. Nice vertical element in the garden. Prefers sun in well-drained soil. 10' tall x 5' wide in 10 years. Very hardy selection, to at least -24 degrees. USDA zone 4-5. Should be king of the hill in my garden in a few years. It put on 2 ft. of growth this year in drought conditions.

{{gwi:609882}}

Cedrus deodara 'Raywood's Contorted'. A very curious tree. Prefers full sun in well-drained soil. 8' tall x 4' wide in 10 years. Hardy to -20 degrees. USDA zone 5. I Could never get anything to grow in this corner. This thing loves it. I keep pruning it but its intentions are to take over and I will move it this fall. It will find out that I am still the boss.

{{gwi:609883}}

Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Aurea'. A slow growing conical tree with sharply pointed needles. This one a B&B sat for 3 years showing little to no growth but appeared healthy. This year it finally put out yellow/golden new growth that is turning to green/blue. It seems to be developing a flat topped crown which I think is normal. Saw that info somewhere.

{{gwi:609884}}

Comments (10)

• dansgrdn
    11 years ago

Nice Dave! 'Kenwith' would definitely be on my list if I could grow it. Looks like your efforts this Summer paid off. Your garden looks terrific!

Dan

• ricksample
    11 years ago

Nice pics, I definitely need to get a few more of these in the future. The only one I have, which isn't planted yet, is Cedrus deodora 'Silver Mist'.

• sluice
    11 years ago

Looks great!

The Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Horstmann' is outstanding.

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting your cedrus. They are all so beautiful. I was actually about to ask which ones you had.

I've become obsessed with the cedars lately trying to decide what cultivars I want to plant this fall especially because of the weather. Knowing my luck we will have a brutal winter that will wipe out my new cedars. 'Eisregen' looks like a tough candidate that can survive drought, heat, and cold. I didn't realize it had such a nice light blue color on the new growth. Now I have to get one. Darn you Dave.

I love the 'Green Prince' too. I already have one on order. =)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Sweet!!

I planted Cedrus deodara 'Karl Fuchs' this year since I hit over and over again my deodara 'Eisregen' learning to drive my mower, two summers ago.

Your 'Eisregren' is looking super. Like all the others too, Dave.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

That first one is quite the standout!

Glad you posted as I finally found one that I could potentially plant (Cedrus deodara 'Eisregen').

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

I finally bought a Cedrus deodara! This is Cedrus deodara'Bushes Elektra'. I bought it in Nurga puukol nursery. It is a northern Estonia. I hope it will successfully complete our winter. My zone is 6 (by map), but the cold of last winter's been a few days to -32 C...Is it really will be able to survive? I am sure it will cover with something. But when it would go great?:)

Ireena

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am not aware of any deodara that can survive -32 Celsius. Computes to -25.60 Fahrenheit.

'Bushes Electra' grows more slowly that the species. It grows best in full sun and almost any reasonably permeable soil. Lime tolerant. Pruning is possible in early spring. It is also hardier than the species and US growers rate it hardy to USDA zone 5b i.e. -27 C.

The fact it is hardier then the species is a plus for you. With the right micro-climate for protection it could survive milder winters.

Good luck.

Dave

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info, Dave.

I look forward to the big snow, which is common in our winter. Perhaps this, along with my defense will be enough. Extreme low temperatures we do not have more than a few days. And I will not give it grow too large.

I really like cedar and I have long wanted to take the risk to grow some cedar. I live near the sea (big snow and humidity) and Thujopsis dolobrata successfully growing in my garden for 7 years. For this I also had doubts :) But it was protected only with snow.

I'll try to tilt my cedar to the ground the first winter. And then we will see. Without risk is not interesting to live:)

Ireena

• severnside
    11 years ago

I'm epically jealous of your 'Green Prince' surely it takes 20yrs to get that big, and it's form is exquisite. That's the benchmark.

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Can Cedrus brevifolia 'Kenwith' grow in zone 9?