Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

before/after waterfall conifer garden

dansgrdn
16 years ago

I built this pondless waterfall 3 years ago, and due to improper design, it settled and began to leak.I had last week off, so it was time for an overhaul.

{{gwi:611264}}

Foundation was built out of concrete block

{{gwi:611265}}

Stream and reservoir dug

{{gwi:611267}}

Liner in place and sump with pump inside, partially backfilled with stone.

{{gwi:611268}}

The finished product. I thought I could get it done in two days, but it ended up taking 3 1/2. The Japanese Maples look pretty rough this time of year but in the Spring it should be pretty colorful.

{{gwi:611269}}

{{gwi:611270}}

{{gwi:611272}}

{{gwi:611274}}

It's been operating for a week now, with no leaks, and minimal drop in water level due to evaporation. Hurray!

Dan

Comments (19)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

wow ....

Dan ... we are in the same club... FULL CONTACT GARDENERS .... lol ...

great job ... perhaps a few aches and pains for your effort??... lol

if you ever run out of ideas .. and have 3 days off. .. feel free to stop by .. i could use the help ....

ken

• kim_dirtdigger
    16 years ago

Dan -- You've outdone yourself on this one!! Beautiful. And what's the saying -- Go big or stay home ?? You'll never have to re-do that project. As always, perfect placement of the rocks and plants -- very natural looking. I'm curious though, how did you handle the height on the backside of the upper fall -- does it slope out?

And I'm in line right behind Ken when you have more time than you know what to do with!!

Kim

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ken, I like the "full contact gardener" moniker. You're right, I'm still sore from the project. Thanks for the compliments. It didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped, but I am pleased with the results for the most part.
    Kim, you weren't supposed to notice that part :). That's this weekends project. The back will be terraced with stone similar to 7th pic and planted with minis. I wish I had enough room to gently slope it out but I'm short on space and this way I get to plant more conifers :). Thanks for the nice comments, Dan

• hostared
    16 years ago

Nice job Dan.
    I just got to ask, were are you getting your rock in our area? Which stone yard is delivery it. Just curious for future projects.

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hostared, I usually get my stone from Area Landscape Supply in Mokena. They have same day delivery and usually will deliver within an hour or two of ordering. Thanks, Dan

• hostasformez4
    16 years ago

Wonderful!!!

Could I clone you? LOL

You are so talented. For that to be called 'just a water fall project' blows my mind.

Connie

• conifers
    16 years ago

Unbelievable and you all are very funny. I like you guys. I should've checked the gallery all this time. What a wonderful job.

Thanks Dan for the illustrations too :)

Dax

• jel48
    16 years ago

Beautiful job, Dan!

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the back. I kind of modified the plan so it took up minimal space. Dan

{{gwi:611276}}

• treelover3
    16 years ago

Wow, very nice. What is the tall, narrow thuja (I think it's a thuja) in the half bowl?
    Thanks,
    Mike

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Mike. Thanks for the response. The tall narrow conifer in the bowl is Platycladus orientalis 'Collen's Gold'. I got it as one of those small Iseli conifers this Spring and it more than doubled in size this season. Thanks, Dan

• dcsteg
    16 years ago

Hi Dan,

'Collen's Gold is a big grower. I purchased a small specimen about half the size of yours 3 years ago. It is now 3 feet tall. Hope you have a place for it. Plan big.

Dave

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Dave, yep this baby is ready to take off next year. It is already way out of scale with the rest of the pot. My plan is to overwinter it, healed, in a protected spot and then plant it in a new and improved larger bed next Spring. If I can get it through the winter, I have high hopes for it. Thanks for the response, Dan

• dcsteg
    16 years ago

Dan, here's an updated photo today. 6'-4" tall. This thing averaged a little under 2 feet a year.

Dave

{{gwi:611278}}

• treelover3
    16 years ago

Thanks, Dan. You have an incredible garden and landscaping abilities; the garden looks very natural and like it's been there for years.

You, too, Dave. I'm jealous.

I love that Platycladus orientalis 'Collen's Gold'. I wonder if it would survive in zone 4a? I'll have to check and see if it's available anywhere via mail order.
    Thanks again and keep posting the photos.
    Mike'

• mdesiderio
    16 years ago

Hello --
    I am a newbie -- but have to say that the waterfall is just beautiful. I would also like to clone you -- my SO is wonderful but not like that. lol He calls anything with needles a "pine tree" -- as in, "that's just another pine tree."

Anyway, in the 7th photo, what are the 2 tall columnar conifers that frame the photo? Love them both!

Michelle

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Michelle, In the seventh photo, the tall conifer to the left is Picea glauca 'Pendula' and the one to the right is Pinus parviflora 'Bergman'. Glad you liked the photos. Can't wait to get started again this Spring. Dan

• mdesiderio
    16 years ago

thanks dan. today my hired boys are installing a stone path and when I get back from my easter weekend I am going to a nursery that I just found not far away that specializes in conifers! can not wait and now I know what I want! thnks!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

WOW!!!!! I'm so happy to have stopped in to visit this forum, and see your FABULOUS work. Love the stone work and what a fabulous collection of plants! I am Thrilled to see your creation! Thanks for such a beautiful treat to start the day!