Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Sequoia, Sequoiadendron and Metasequoia gallery

A batch of foggy weather and the recent gallery on blue coast redwoods encouraged me to start another gallery. Let the naysayers yelleth!

Post any shots of redwoods you'd like here. Species, seedlings in your gardens, neighbors plants and of course, cultivars!

I have a ton to contribute, from all four, so this should be a fun gallery.

Might as well start with a few epic ones:

'General Sherman'. Currently the largest living thing on earth, General Sherman is a mammoth Sierra Redwood(Sequoiadendron giganteum), with nearly 1,500 cubic meters of living material. Age estimates are vague, but it appears to be roughly 2,200-2,600 years old. 275 feet tall and over 35 feet wide at it's largest base point, it really overwhelms you when you see it in person. It's a must see, and truely a national(planetary) treasure.

{{gwi:611590}}

{{gwi:611591}}

Not to be outdone, the Coast Redwood(sequoia sempervirens), reach greater height and their is credible historical evidence that they were the largest trees on the planet with one specimen achieving some 30-50% more total volume then the General Sherman Sequoiadendron.

This massive specimen in Jeddidiah State Redwood Park is not even in the top 10 and it has a width of some 25 feet at the base and is probably taller then 300 feet.

{{gwi:611592}}

Another massive coast redwood, this is actually two trees that have long ago fused together. Named 'Screaming Titans', they aren't particularly noteworthy, statistically speaking but boy do they make for an amazing photo opportunity. I'm a big guy too, err... you'll have to take my word for it.

{{gwi:611593}}

Now a few great trees I feel blessed to have growing in my neighborhood.

Sequoia sempervirens. The neighbor planted this in the early 90s he said, as a five gallon pot. I'd estimate it's 45-50 feet tall. Also notice how wide it seems to grow with abundant sunshine. He doesn't water it and despite our very dry Summers, it has done very well. Growing about two feet per year.

{{gwi:611594}}

{{gwi:611595}}

Sequoiadendron giganteum growing in my neighbors lot. Despite being crowded and shaded, it's exploding skyward. He said he planted it eight years ago though I am a bit doubtful(probably like 10-12).

{{gwi:611596}}

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum'. Three great specimens in a neighbors yard and they are likely ignorant to what they are. Pretty cool.

{{gwi:611597}}

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Powder Blue'. Growing like CRAZY, which is amazing because it is planted on what used to be a compacted parking strip. Besides laying down some park and weedblock, my neighbor did NOTHING to this space, so these roots are powering through the lousy soil.

{{gwi:611598}}

Edwin, you suggested last year 'Powdered Blue' and I did find a tag but it said 'Powder Blue'. Which is correct?

Sequoiadendron giganteum, species. Growing wide and fast in it's first year. I drown it in water once a week.

{{gwi:611599}}

Metasequoia glyptostrobiodes 'Ogon', (synon. 'Gold Rush)'. A phenominal plant, and perfectly situated for light here, it obtains a golden-green hue where ever sun strikes it and it holds this luminous color for months on end. The needles color a brown-orange in Autumn before falling off, indeed a rare deciduous conifer.

{{gwi:611600}}

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Last year's gallery(Sequoias)

Comments (44)

• botann
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My 'Ogon' is growing rather well this summer.

{{gwi:611602}}
    Mike

• fotisr
    12 years ago

Not much to show but impressive trees for me this past year so:
    Sempervirens the species from seed. 1,5 years old! This is the most impressive growth in my garden this past year so I made a colage. On the image I typed some dates and where the top of the tree was then. Top left there's an inlay of the beautiful red bark on this tree already. Top right is how the tree looked on September 2010 - one year ago. Just 13cm = 5 inches from the soil. In the begining of August it was 1,2 meters = 48 inches tall and now is way up! I made all the transplants in the right time for the roots so I guess the tree is quite happy! Two more months of growth until winter...
    {{gwi:611604}}

Same here but Sequoiadendron 1,5 years old from seed. This has 1 inch girth at soil level now! This spring it took the conical look of the species and looks like a tree with this years growth at 50 cm = 24 inches!
    {{gwi:611606}}

My more mature specimen to be limbed up gradually to accomodate shade loving plants under the canopy.
    {{gwi:611608}}

Metasequoia gl. 'Ogon' with top 6 inches cut from wind storm. Now the most upper branch has turned upwards from its base (!) trying to become new top. I'll show an image in a few days. Just a twig this winter with no branches but now...
    {{gwi:611611}}

And foliage... Full zone 8a sun.
    {{gwi:611612}}

My young 'Pendulum'
    {{gwi:611613}}

Best regards,
    Fotis

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Impressive growth on the sempervirens, Foris. It's no doubt loving the massive amounts of sunshine, warmth and supplemental water! hehehe

Your 'Ogon' is also wonderfully colored. Not quite burning, but brilliant gold.

Sequoia sempervirens 'Filoli'. One of the best colored blues I've seen on any conifer. Part shade here(afternoon shade) and growing extremely fast. 18-24" in the last month after planting.
    {{gwi:611615}}

sempervirens 'Steel Blue'. Very blue, though a bit darker blue, despite being in moderate to heavy shade. Note the thin but rapid leader growth - looking for sun. It'll be interesting to see how quickly it grows in these shady conditions. There's sun overhead, only about thirty meters to go! :)
    {{gwi:611616}}

The needles. The name is well suited.
    {{gwi:611617}}

sempervirens 'Aptos Blue'. Not nearly as blue, more sun(though still part-shade at best), and growing thicker.
    {{gwi:611618}}

Foliage.
    {{gwi:611619}}

sempervirens 'Kelly's Prostrate'. Second attempt here, first died to Winter temps of about 0 degrees(record setting for us here).
    {{gwi:611620}}

-Will

• sluice
    12 years ago

Like the 'Pendulum' trio

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Blauer Eichzwerg'.
    {{gwi:611621}}

Seq. giganteum 'Little Stan'
    {{gwi:611622}}

-Will

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Blauer Eichzwerg'
    {{gwi:611623}}

Metasequoia glyptostroboides
    {{gwi:611624}}
    {{gwi:611626}}

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon' ('Gold Rush')
    {{gwi:611628}}

Going to Buchholz Nursery to get a 'Little Stan' and an M. g. 'Nordlicht' tomorrow! I'll post pictures once I get them home.

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Sam, you must be very proud to become these 2 beauties from the Buchholz Nursery.
    Sequoiadendron gig. 'Little Stan' was found as a miniature seedling selection found by Nelis Kools from The Netherlands.

Please rename Metasequoia gl. 'North Light' back into it's original cultivar name 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht'.
    The Buchholz Nursery made the big mistake to rename it first into 'Northern Lights' which is illegitimate, also 'Nord Licht is!
    This one is is found by my German friend Winfried Schirrmann as a witches' broom on a Metasequoia gl. 'White Spot'...

'Schirrmann's Nordlicht'
    {{gwi:611629}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

What special trees they are indeed, Edwin. Thanks for the stories behind them. I will make sure they are labeled properly in the garden. Trees this rare deserve respect! ;0)

-Sam

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A little seedling I sheltered in a hosta bed:

Metasequoia glyptostrobiodes 'Jack Frost'. Known for it's varigation.
    {{gwi:611630}}

• cryptomeria
    12 years ago

Will,

'Jack Frost' shows you the varigation best or only in full sun.

Wolfgang

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Wonderful trees.
    Nothing quite so comforting and nostalgic to me as the redwoods....
    'Filoli' gets my vote for best of the blues, too.

Josh

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

If I'm well informed, Metasequoia gl. 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht' are patented, maybe it's the reason to change the name ??
    Clement

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A few late-season additions, and hoping a few more photos are added to this gallery. That tiny miniature, Steven?? :)

Sequoia sempervirens 'Albo-Spica'. 'Albospica'? Slow growing, variegated shrub. This specimen I presume is laterally growing because it's a side graft?
    {{gwi:611631}}

Metas. Glypto. 'Ogon' with a clemetis rushing up to the top.
    {{gwi:611632}}

• cryptomeria
    12 years ago

Will,

so far I know , the name for ' Albospica' is now ' Adpressa'.

Wolfgang

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Clement, you're not well informed, there's not a patent on the Schirrmann's Nordlicht'.

Wolfgang, you're right, 'Albospicata' is just a synonym for 'Depressa'.
    Will, it's wise to stake your plant.
    Then, when it's about 2 metres tall you can cut all it's sidebranches off at the end of summer.
    You can cut them straight to the stem, at the end you only have a straight pole.
    In the next spring you'll be surprised what kind of show your plant will give :o)

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Oops, I mend to say that 'Albospicata' is just a synonym for 'Adpressa', not 'Depressa'...

• megzee
    12 years ago

Metasequoia glyptostroboides, growing on the University of Wisconsin campus:
    {{gwi:611633}}

Closer shot of the buttressed trunk on the above tree:
    {{gwi:611634}}

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

After a year of successful feeding I am finally able to let him roam the yard.

{{gwi:449490}}

Later after a diaper change perhaps we can get a picture by the Ogon

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Sequoia sempervirens 'Cantab'

{{gwi:611635}}

• botann
    12 years ago

Sequoia sempervirens.
    The deer have thrashed it several times. It will be alright.
    Good thing I'm not growing it for lumber.
    I have several that are much larger.
    Mike

{{gwi:611637}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Miss Grace' about 2 meters tall!
    {{gwi:611638}}

a close-up of her fine, graceful foliage:
    {{gwi:611645}}

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Little Stan' suffering from a bit of transplant shock, but I think he will be okay
    {{gwi:611647}}

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht' some variegation still showing even though the color's already changing:
    {{gwi:611648}}

-Sam

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Oh, and a pretty impressive giant redwood growing nextdoor to Albers Vista Gardens!!
    {{gwi:611652}}

-Sam

12 years ago

{{gwi:611653}}

Got it a couple days ago. Still no fall color.

• botann
    12 years ago

Last week I toured the Calaveras Sequoiadendron grove in California. It's the northernmost naturally occurring grove
    of Sierra Redwoods. Awesome!
    Here's a picture of a giant that was felled by some thoughtless miners in the 1800's.

{{gwi:611655}}

There is a story behind this photo.
    The grove was found by a hunter supplying meat to the miners. When he returned to the miner's camp and told them about the giant trees, they didn't believe him. So he took them there to prove his story.
    They got the bright idea to fall one of the trees to find out what it sounded like when it hit the ground. They didn't have a saw large enough, but they did have augers. The augers were used to hollow out small tree trunks so they could be used as pipes to sluice the riverbanks for gold. They connected the hollowed out trees with leather and rawhide straps.
    They augered the tree all day long and at the end of the day the tree hadn't fallen. They went back to camp with the idea to finish the job the next day. When they returned the following morning, they discovered the tree had fallen during the night.
    What a waste! A 2,000 year plus tree killed just to hear it hit the ground! A different time and a different attitude.
    You can still see the auger marks on the fallen log.
    They square dance on it now.
    Mike

• botann
    12 years ago

{{gwi:611660}}

Sequoia sempervirens, 'Cantab' trunk.
    Mike

• botann
    12 years ago

I just visited the Calaveras Sequoiadendron grove last week.
    You have to be there to appreciate the size and majesty of these trees.
    Mike
    {{gwi:611661}}

Mariposa Grove in Yosemite next.
    I'm still working on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: My California vacation

• henksgarden
    12 years ago

{{gwi:611665}}
    Sequoiadendron giganteum "Von Martin"

{{gwi:611667}}

Sequoiadendron giganteum "Julian"

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

It pains me that I can't grow Sequoiadendron giganteum!

Nice shots folks...and what character on that species plant on the WI campus!

• botann
    12 years ago

While down near Yosemite a few weeks ago I managed to pick up a Sequoia sempervirens, 'Steel blue' for $10, terribly rootbound in a one gallon pot. I kept it alive for a week and a half on a condo deck and a lot of time in the car before getting it home and putting it in a bigger pot. I lightly untangled some roots.
    It has a branch that I call a 'Pretender to the throne' that is showing some apical dominance. Nice candidate for a cutting!
    Mike

{{gwi:611673}}

• botann
    12 years ago

I planted this Sequoiadendron gigantea at the edge of my property in 1979. Now it's time to clear out some of the brush behind it.
    Mike

{{gwi:611674}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

'Miss Grace' in fall color:
    {{gwi:608107}}

-Sam

• botann
    12 years ago

Sam, beautiful specimen!

My 'Miss Grace' is a disgraceful, surviving twig of a branch. Hope I can bring it through the winter and get it going on the right track.
    No picture for obvious reasons. ;-)
    Mike

• kristiepdx
    12 years ago
  • botann
    12 years ago

Mesterhazy and his Sagalassos Expedition, Day 4, mentions and shows Phlomis fruiticosa growing as a native in Turkey.
    I would have liked to have gone on that trip to see the Roman ruins and conifers.
    Here is Phlomis in my garden growing with Sequoiadendron giganteum.
    Obviously I will have to cut some of these trees down in the near future. I can only limb them up so far. These were once rowed out in a small nursery bed. I sold some, planted some in the garden, and cut a few down.
    Mike

{{gwi:611678}}

• kristiepdx
    12 years ago

We moved in 1 year ago. The previous owners said they planted it in 1962

{{gwi:611680}}

{{gwi:611686}}

• Ament
    12 years ago

OMG I so want to grow some of these giants! Does anyone know if these will grow in my area?

Thank you all so much for posting these pictures. I love them all. =)

~Tina

• severnside
    12 years ago

Definitely a fitting tribute tree if compatible.

• hermi-of-iowa
    12 years ago

Tina, these would be a annual in your area just like mine. Dennis

• 1965lagniappe
    12 years ago

I am a NW gardener newbie and have 3 young metasequoia glyptostroboides "ogon" of different heights/ages. The largest ( 7-8ft) seemed to get leaf burn in a So. exposure so I'm thinking of moving it...also it is in front of a quite large "giant sequoia" in a perienial bed 8-10 ft deep. The 2nd largest is about 6ft tall, has more shade and is doing well but is planted next to a small bridge over a winter creek and has to be moved. My 3rd kiddo was a volunteer sapling almost 2 yrs ago and is doing well at 1.5 ft. When is the optimal time to move my guys and are there any suggestions on how I should go about this?
    I'm on 2.5 acres with a large wild space ringed by Doug Firs and Pines at the North end of my property. Thanks in advance...

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Move it now. Temps are cool but not terribly freezing so the ground should be very workable and we're in a dry-stretch, great for working and the rains to come before Spring will help it establish well. Dig a nice sized rootball if you can, the bigger the better. The one suffering some leaf burn I'd recommend leaving it there IF the damage is not severe each year. Eventually the burn will lessen some and the color will be greatest in this situation, especially if you can provide it with quite a bit of water. If the damage is severe, move it to a spot that gets shade from about 3pm on in Summer.

A rootball for the trees should be something at least similar to the size of the pot you bought them in, or if you didn't buy them, to roughly the size pot you see similar trees in at a local nursery. A 2'x2' 'circle sounds right here.

Goodluck!

-Will

• 1965lagniappe
    12 years ago

Wow! You sure are on top of info...thanks. I am going to love watching these beauties grow to their full potential. I had no idea just how large and beautiful they are going to be. I shall, of course, give them plenty of organic mulch in and around their new homes. Love your photos and hope to post some in the spring for you to enjoy.
    I did misjudge their size...#1 is about 15 ft; #2 is about 10 and #3 is almost 2 ft. Thinking that I will make the circle about 3'x3' to err on the side of protecting their roots.
    Other "companions" in my "back-forty" are 100' oaks...lots of them...but I shall give the "Ogons" as much room as possible.
    Again, thanks Will for your support....Sandra

12 years ago

1965lagniappe, sounds like you have quite the yard there, post up some pictures!

• sluice
    12 years ago

Here are some redwoods at the San Francisco airport.
    {{gwi:611695}}

• 1965lagniappe
    12 years ago

Ahoy! Toronado 3800.....ASAP I shall post pics of my 2.5acre "Shangri-La". We moved here from Chicago in 2007 & I believe that I am on a different planet...Paradise. Thanks for the encouragement.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21