Taxus baccata 'Silver Spire'

{{gwi:612263}}

Taxus baccata 'Goldener Zwerg'

{{gwi:612265}}

-Sam

Comments (32)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Sam, thanks for your pics but why didn't you post this topic at the galleries?

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought I did.. Very strange. Well, if Tamara is reading this, I would appreciate it if you move this thread to the new-and-improved gallery section with the others. Thanks!

-Sam

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

You knew what you were doing when You posted it here. It's obivious by your comment.

Contact her yourself and request that you want it moved to the gallery side.

Bucking heads with GW will earn you a place on the outside looking in. They don't retain lone wolfs going against the grain.

Dave

• Cher
    11 years ago

I really like this one Sam.Sam just stop putting gallery on the title or you get upset people.
    Cher

• severnside
    11 years ago

You knew what you were doing when You posted it here. It's obivious by your comment

Exactly, he makes a bunch of galleries in the gallery side this week and then drops one in here - that's an anarchic agenda if ever I saw one.

Bucking heads with GW will earn you a place on the outside looking in. They don't retain lone wolfs going against the grain.

I agree, he's sailing close to the ban hammer!

Sam just stop putting gallery on the title or you get upset people.

I'm sure Sam will just give an evil chuckle...

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave, I don't understand why you would assume that I have ulterior motives or reasons for posting in the discussion section when, as severnside said, I now post regularly in the galleries.

I clearly made a mistake.

Please do not accuse me of defiant behavior when you know not what happened... And I thank you for not making that mistake again.

Carrying on,

cuspidata 'Amersfoort' (often incorrectly considered a cultivar of T. baccata)
    {{gwi:612266}}

-Sam

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Come on Sam my pumpkin farming days are over. It was your wording that gave you away. You could have left off the last sentence that contained the little dig within it.

Your last defining give away is you added another photo to this thread that doesn't belong in the discussion side of the conifer form.

I'll give you the benefit of doubt assuming you think I made a mistake.

Dave

• severnside
    11 years ago

I'll just leave this here.

Here is a link that might be useful: The List

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha, good one, severn. Some people can be so irrational.. ;-)

And I think I'll add another photo in the hopes that this will soon be moved to the gallery section.

baccata 'Fastigiata Aurea'
    {{gwi:612268}}

-Sam

• severnside
    11 years ago

Here's an odd one. Bought as Taxus baccata 'Aurea' ( not 'Fastigiata Aurea') and it does seem to sit exactly between fastigiate and bushy, my three specimens all display the same form. Here are two of them, the first has be de-leadered

Taxus baccata 'Aurea' specimen #1
    {{gwi:612271}}{{gwi:612273}}
    Specimen #2
    {{gwi:612275}}
    {{gwi:612277}}

• severnside
    11 years ago

*Please move to gallery section*

Tnx

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Taxus baccata 'Summergold' (had a more golden appearance on the new growth, fading to golden margins and stems by late summer)
    {{gwi:612278}}

-Sam

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

'Repens Aurea'
    {{gwi:612279}}
    {{gwi:612280}}

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Sam, please change 'Repens Aurea' into 'Repandens Aurea'.
    This cultivar arose from sidebranches of the Taxus baccata 'Dovastonii Aurea'.

The Taxus baccata 'Repandens' arose from sidebranches taken of the Taxus baccata 'Dovastoniana'...

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for this information, Edwin.

It makes a nice spreading golden shrub!

-Sam

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Taxus baccata 'Washingtonii'
    {{gwi:612282}}
    {{gwi:612284}}

Txus baccata 'Elegantissima'
    {{gwi:612285}}
    {{gwi:612286}}

Taxux baccata 'Fastigiata Aurea" - on autumn not so gold...
    {{gwi:612287}}

Ireena

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Ireena, your last pic isn't the right one, it isn't 'Fastigiata Aurea' but just 'Aurea'
    The true 'Fastigiata Aurea' has all his branches straight up, non are growing sidewards...

• severnside
    11 years ago

Taxus baccata 'Ivory Tower', badly mauled by a deer I trimmed it back so it should now make a dense column. One of my favourite specimens.
    {{gwi:612288}}

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Severn, deer or other animals will never eat Taxus, they will die after doing that...

• severnside
    11 years ago

Sorry Edwin but you are mistaken, deer certainly can eat Taxus though other grazing animals can't.

From Wikipedia

Grazing animals, particularly cattle and horses, are also sometimes found dead near yew trees after eating the leaves, though deer are able to break down the poisons and will eat yew foliage freely. In the wild, deer browsing of yews is often so extensive that wild yew trees are commonly restricted to cliffs and other steep slopes inaccessible to deer.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Thanks for this info, it's new to me :0)

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Taxus x media 'Viridis'

Slow growing, narrow column. Needles slightly twisted green, new needles bright yellow fading to light green. Tolerant of shade and drought once established. Highly susceptible to deer damage. The Taxus x media cultivars are the results of crossing Japanese Yew (Taxus cuspidata) with English Yew (Taxus baccata).

Dave

{{gwi:612289}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cuspidata 'Monloo' (a spreading form with short needles)
    {{gwi:612290}}
    {{gwi:612291}}

-Sam

• severnside
    11 years ago

I like that 'Monloo'

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, severn.

Taxus baccata 'Repandens'
    {{gwi:612292}}

-Sam

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, unknown. I bought it at the supermarket, titled "Conifer" :)

I know that plants need to buy only nurseries, but could not hold on :) It was so small and beautiful. Grow very slowly.
    {{gwi:612293}}
    {{gwi:612296}}

Ireena

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Taxus canadensis

{{gwi:612299}}

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Ireena, that's the true 'Fastigiata Aurea' at your last pic...

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Thank you, Edwin, for help:)

Ireena

• deltaohioz5
    11 years ago

{{gwi:612302}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Taxus x media 'Hicksii'
    {{gwi:612305}}

-Sam

• severnside
    11 years ago

I like these Taxus media pictures. Wondeful narrowness to the 'Dark Knight'.