Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Pinus longaeva cultivars

dcsteg
11 years ago

Maybe we can get something going here.

Love this cultivar.

Dave

Pinus longaeva "Sherwood Compact'. Planted 4-10-2011. Pinus longaeva from the White Mountains of California are the oldest living trees on earth, nearly 5,000 years old. Prefers full sun in well-drained soil. 3' tall x 1.5' wide in 10 years. Hardy to -30 degrees. USDA zone 4.

{{gwi:613573}}

Foliage.

{{gwi:613577}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus longaeva description.

Comments (21)

• severnside
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Weird, I just googled to see other pictures for sizes and one came up at a local garden store chain that doesn't normally stock non-mainstream conifers at a very good price. Click and collect from a couple of miles away. Done.

That's got to be the quickest gallery to buy I've done.

It was listed as Pinus aristata 'Sherwood Compact' but I assume that is an enduring trade mistake.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

severnside

check the link.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus longaeva or Pinus aristata var. longaeva

• severnside
    11 years ago

Longaeva it seems to be, but how exhaustive does the analysis have to be to prove certainty?

• ghgwv
    11 years ago

That is one beautiful tree.
    Gary

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Agreed with Gary.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Severn, the Pinus longaeva doesn't have the white resin on it's needles like Pinus arista does.
    The 'Sherwood Compact' is a true cultivar of Pinus longaeva.

• severnside
    11 years ago

Thanks Edwin, simple as that. Looking forward to picking my little one up soon...

• sluice
    11 years ago

Nice! I like those high country pines.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Wow, that's a superb plant. Have to admit that I've been wanting one since I saw it in one of your threads last spring.

I really like the way it plays off of 'De Ruyter' behind it. Both upright and similar in size, but different shape and strong contrast with the needle shape and color. Dave, do they have a similar growth rate, or is it just coincidence that one has caught up with the other right now?

Alex

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alex,

'Picea omorika 'De Ruyter' is a slow growing dwarf. I don't have any growth rates on it. I saw somewhere about 12 ft. in 10 years but I am very skeptable about that. I am thinking much slower by looking at mine. I am seeing about 3"-4" a year on mine.

Edwin grows it maybe he will chime in.

Pinus longaeva 'Sherwood Compact' 1"-3"/year
    3'-4'/10 years...approximate.

Dave

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

The growing rate on Picea omorika 'De Ruyter' will be about 10 cm per year, in a good condition.
    10 cm is 4 inches?

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

'Sherwood Compact'
    {{gwi:613579}}

'Joe's Bess' (graft from Conifer Kingdom)
    {{gwi:613581}}

-Sam

• severnside
    11 years ago

Brilliant pictures Sam, my ordered 'Sherwood Compact' is ready to pick up now so that one's got me like an excited kid...

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Severn, 'Sherwood Compact' is one of my favorite pines, so I would be excited to receive it as well. The new foliage is more of a green color before the needles become more individual, showing their silver-blue undersides after one year. It's a nice, slow-growing pine with a good color contrast. Please share a picture of yours once you receive it!

-Sam

• merlin
    11 years ago

Unfortunately the only available plants I have been able to find are the 3"-6" size, at best. Given the 'Sherwood Compact' growth rate, I will need another lifetime to enjoy its glory!

But I do have two wonderful specimens of Pinus aristata.

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

Gentlemen,

Pinus longaevas of Franz Etzelstorfer & Jorg Kohout, found in the States.

{{gwi:602535}}
    Pinus longaeva Beatle Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602536}}
    Pinus longaeva Bobo Roy Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602537}}
    Pinus longaeva Break Down Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602538}}
    Pinus longaeva Coney Ball Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602539}}
    Pinus longaeva Falling Rock Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602540}}
    Pinus longaeva Frankie Boy Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602542}}
    Pinus longaeva Gregor Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602543}}
    Pinus longaeva Grovy Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602544}}
    Pinus longaeva Hot Sun Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602545}}
    Pinus longaeva Ice Baby Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602546}}
    Pinus longaeva Independence Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602547}}
    Pinus longaeva Little Lady Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602637}}
    Pinus longaeva Little Lady Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602638}}
    Pinus longaeva Muffin Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602639}}
    Pinus longaeva Muffin Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602640}}
    Pinus longaeva Rockford Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602642}}
    Pinus longaeva Rockford Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602644}}
    Pinus longaeva Rockin Rio Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602646}}
    Pinus longaeva Schulman Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602647}}

{{gwi:602649}}

{{gwi:602651}}

{{gwi:602653}}
    Pinus longaeva Sky Mountain Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

{{gwi:602655}}
    Pinus longaeva White Mountain Mesterhazy & Malik photo 2012

Zsolt

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Wow, what a fantastic series of longaeva brooms. I think my mouth is watering.

found in the States... Are any of them available here? I've not heard of any of these before.

Alex

• severnside
    11 years ago

Severn, 'Sherwood Compact' is one of my favorite pines, so I would be excited to receive it as well. The new foliage is more of a green color before the needles become more individual, showing their silver-blue undersides after one year. It's a nice, slow-growing pine with a good color contrast. Please share a picture of yours once you receive it!

-Sam

Nah, no deal. What the idiots are selling is a Pinus mugo 'Sherwood Compact' and a pretty ropey one at that. I suspected as much as they had a mugo on the website pic. Good old national chain ingnorance.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Zsolt, not all these Pinus longaeva brooms are true to this species.
    Some of those are in reality brooms of Pinus balfouriana...

Pinus 'Falling Rock' is a broom of Pinus albicaulis, not of Pinus longaeva...

The same is for Pinus 'Rocking Rio', this is also a broom of Pinus albicaulis...look at their needles, they're complete differend!

Pinus longaeva 'Bobo Roy' wasn't found by Kohout & Etzelstorfer, it was found by Jerry Morris and named by Larry Stanley.

Pinus longaeva 'Schulman' must be written as 'Schulman Grove' and was also found by Jerry Morris, not by Kohout & Etzelstorfer...

Alex, 2 brooms ('Bobo Roy' and 'Schulman Grove') should be still availlable in the U.S., the others are just brandnew in Europe...

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

Edwin,
    there were some mislabelings among albicaulis, balfouriana and longaeva. I cleared them yet for the next edition, but these photos are coming here from the first rough garden series.
    Anyway, our american friends must know, that europeans are very active in the last decade in detecting brooms in the States. I heard, that some dutchs were also collecting brooms there...

Its more important, that the selecting concept of Jorg and Franz was to produce new cultivars of never used specieses.
    Partly following Jerry Morris, and partly along their own way. Better told, it seems to me a developed Jerry concept to other areas, which were out of Jerry's lands.

I think, if the newcomers wants to achieve new targets, learning from the ancestors, this is called development ahead in sciences generally.

Zsolt

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

I reallylike 'Coney Ball'. It would be a good pine to use for hybridizations as well!

Thank you for sharing.

-Sam