Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mesterhazypinetum

Conifers of Poland 3

mesterhazypinetum
11 years ago

{{gwi:618062}}
Abies koreana Wiki Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

Cultivar of Jaroslaw Krzemien POL. Syn Abies koreana Krzemien.

{{gwi:618063}}

{{gwi:618064}}

{{gwi:618065}}

{{gwi:618066}}
Abies sibirica Lukasz Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

{{gwi:618067}}
Chamaecyparis lawsoniana Zlotowka Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

Cultivar of Michal Kaluzinski POL

{{gwi:618068}}
Chamaecyparis lawsoniana Zlotowka Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

{{gwi:618070}}
Ginkgo biloba Boleslaw Chrobry Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

Cultivar of Prof. Korszun POL

{{gwi:618072}}

{{gwi:618075}}

{{gwi:618077}}

{{gwi:618079}}

{{gwi:618080}}
Juniperus chinensis Izabelin Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

Selection of Sami Saidi POL

{{gwi:618083}}

{{gwi:618085}}

{{gwi:618087}}
Juniperus squamata Denfa Malachit Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

Cultivar of Michal Kaluzinski POL

{{gwi:618089}}

{{gwi:618091}}

{{gwi:618093}}
Larix decidua Jan Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

New shots in a sunny day.

{{gwi:618096}}
Larix decidua Jan Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

{{gwi:618098}}
Larix decidua Kadl Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

Larix decidua Lucek Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

Selection of Wieslaw Wnuk, (Lucek WN)

{{gwi:618102}}
Larix decidua Sel 2000 Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

New cultivar of Janusz Szewczyk POL.

{{gwi:618105}}
Larix decidua Sel 2000 Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

{{gwi:618107}}
Larix kaempferi GTS Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

Selection of Mr. Rosja POL

{{gwi:618110}}
Larix kaempferi GTS Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

{{gwi:618113}}
Larix kaempferi Zloty Mesterhazy & Szewczyk photo 2012

A marvellous golden seedling of Janusz Szewczyk POL

{{gwi:618116}}

{{gwi:618118}}

A new queen of conifer gardens. If I ever plant a golden garden, Zloty will stay in the middle!

Zsolt & Janusz

Comments (6)

• mesterhazypinetum
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Remark:
    Larix kaempferi GTS and Larix decidua Kadl are russian selections from the Vereshchak Collection.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Zsolt, another change you've to made is that the Juniperus 'Izabelin' which isn't a J. chinensis cultivar, but a J. virginiana cultivar..
    It derived as a white variegated branch mutation on a Juniperus virginiana 'Hetz'...

Thanks for the very nice pics!

• mesterhazypinetum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

About Izabelin
    The full, but illegal name of Izabelin is:
    Juniperus x media Hetzii Variegata-Izabelin. This was found by Sami Saidi of Poland, and the name shows his origin. First reported by Sylwester Tomszak on the same name.
    If you open the CT file below there is the following description about Hetzii:

Hetzii F. C. Hetz 1937
    1920 in Fairview Evergreen Nurs., PA USA
    Juniperus chinensis ‘Hetzii’
    Intro: 1930 Fairview Evergreen Nurs., PA USA
    Juniperus chinensis 'Hetzii' - Formerly Juniperus x media 'Hetzii'. Arching branches as shrub, builds up in height. Quite a large, hollow centred shrub. 2 metres high x 2 metres wide in 10 years in our Nursery/Garden. Zone 3. Cedar Lodge text.
    J. glauca hetzii Hetz
    Syn: /Hetz Blue/ /Hetzii Glauca/
    Photo: Juniperus media ‘Hetzii’ by Esveld Nursery, Boskoop HOL
    Further varieties:
    *Hetzii Columnaris Wyman 1963 USA
    Juniperus chinensis ‘Hetzii Columnaris’ /Fairview/
    *Hetzii Glauca /Hetzii/

Its very interesting, that Wyman in 1963 made an other renaming, this time to J. virginiana:
    Hetz D. Wyman 1963
    1920 Fairview Evergreen Nurs., Fairview PA USA
    Hetz Glauca /Hetz/

Here we come: the Hetzii Columnaris is still known as Juniperus chinensis Fairview, just the mother plant was renamed by Wyman in 1963 to virginiana, as a dead renaming. Edwin, this Wyman story is an orbital squatch, and I have no reason to follow you in this case.

Izabelin will be a nice cultivar on this name as we deleted/cleared the illegal parts off the name.

Finally some words about the cultivars of Wieslaw Wnuk.
    He has about 130 nice selections. As I see, he uses "WN" as a kind of trade mark, similar to Peve, Filip or me (MPH). We use them as first tags, then comes the real name. Wnuk uses it at the end of names, so everybody forgets the "WN"-s off the names. Its not my job to give advises, time will solve, weather he brought a good or not good decision. I make the chronicles only.
    After my experiences numbered plants will never sold. If I had a chance to buy a conifer, I'd choose Agnieszka, Mazurka, Chopin, Mirek, Marek, Darek etc. instead of # 25 and # 77.
    I know that since the Jerry Morris investigations. Half of his plants are numbered and never sold. It was a wasted time to find 600 numbered brooms, because no one buys them. I think this is the responsibility of the breeders.

I wish you also the best, as you start to name your nice 30-40 dwarf pine seedlings, published first not long ago.

Zsolt

Here is a link that might be useful: Conifer Treasury 4.0 2012 Cupressus-Phyllocladus

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Zsolt, everybody here knows that you're a theory man, you know, a person from the books...

I'm a nurseryman, you know, a person from the field, all learned from practise...

I don't care about your Conifer Treasury story, because it isn't right, this time.

The only reason why they changed the name from Juniperus chinensis 'Hetzii' to Juniperus virginiana 'Hetz' is because it bears JUNIPERUS VIRGINIANA BERRIES, which are small and round.
    This is practise, not from books!
    All is a matter of determination which you should also do before giving us a wrong answer...
    You should go to Clement once and a while and go talk with him, then you will learn something about determanation!

Years ago I also received scions from Sami Saidi of his Juniperus virginiana 'Izabelin' which is the name HE gave to HIS plant.
    The funny thing is that he's also a member of this forum.

Because of the 'Fairvieuw' is a Juniperus chinensis cultivar, will not say that the 'Hetz' also is.

The same counts for Juniperus 'Spartan' aka 'Helle'.
    This is also a Juniperus virginiana cultivar, not a Juniperus chinensis cultivar for the same same reasons which I allready mentioned.

Jump of your chair and go look outside and see this all for yourself!

• mesterhazypinetum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Edwin, these all seems to be a teoretical debate. You may be a good practice man, but you never write books. I have no nursery, but I know how to detect and publish thousands of conifer cultivars. These are two different activities.
    My old offer to you for a common work is still living. I'm absolutely quite working, as long you correct the Gardenweb conifer name use based partly on my books.

As I'm not botanist, but logistics, clearing the botany from unclear situations is not my job. Junipers are rather dangerous area in this sense.

Not long ago the RHS published a conifer books of 8000 cultivars. I had more in 1995, now in 4.0 I have 21127 cultivars. In the last 3 years I documented 9000 new conifers. This is my job and not the juniper taxonomy twilight zones.

Zsolt

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Right, so change all to the way I just mentioned.

It's correct that I never made a conifer book, but I helped big time with the last 2 one's recently released...