Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ireena_7

Differently colored garden

ireena (zone 5-6)
11 years ago

It's autumn, but the garden is not empty. So I like the conifers. Our summers are so short. But I want to see a beautiful garden all year round. I still drink morning coffee on the terrace. And look at this beauty. Just now need a hat and gloves:) I could not hold on and photographed again my small garden:) It is so variable - the light, the colors ...

Larix kaempferi 'Blue Dwarf' - now yellow

{{gwi:619035}}

with Pinus mugo 'Dubrava'

{{gwi:619036}}

Larix decidua Krejcy

{{gwi:619037}}

{{gwi:619038}}

{{gwi:619039}}

Larix kaempferi 'Grey Pearl' with unknown Pinus strobus

{{gwi:619040}}

Larix kaempferi 'Diana'

{{gwi:619041}}

{{gwi:619042}}

Larix kaempferi Cupido with winter colored Cuninghamia lanceolata, from left - Cryptomeria japonica �Monstrosa Nana�

{{gwi:619043}}

Larix kaempf Blue Dwarf with Pinus sylvestris 'Watereri'

{{gwi:619045}}

Larix decidua Pendula - nice faded color

{{gwi:619046}}

Ireena

Comments (11)

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Very interesting selection.

• severnside
    11 years ago

Great pictures and brilliant plants.

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the compliment, Blue Yew. I do not know, where inside my garden is a place for everything (600m2), but I counted - I have about 230 conifer varieties....:) House and lawn also takes away space.... The lawn is slowly shrinking:)

Ireena

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I missed my chance on a Larix kaempferi 'Grey Pearl'...really like that one.

As always, enjoyed the pics. It can get slow from now until March.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Ireena, normaly seen we've Autumn first so the Larix plants can get yellow coloured first, then will drop off their needles before the snow will arive...
    At your place all this come's together in one time which means that your Autumn is only for a very short time and the Winter duration will take a very longggggg time...

Did you bought your Pinus mugo 'Dubrava' from the Nurga Puukool Nursery?

Please, change Larix decidua 'Krejcy' into 'Kreyci'.

Your "unknown" Pinus stronus is a 'Umbraculifera'.

Thanks for showing us your nice pics!

• nwconifergarden
    11 years ago

I really enjoy seeing your garden Ireena. You have a beautiful combination of color and texture!

Jim

• botann
    11 years ago

Yes, nice garden. I can see you are enjoying your conifers a lot!
    Mike

• Simoni
    11 years ago

Hi Ireena,

Larix decidua Krejci - czech name one of the best hunter of Czech

L+M S

{{gwi:612876}}

Mr. Krejci
    {{gwi:612876}}

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I apologize for the incorrect spelling of name Krejci. It was just accidental misspelling :) I know very well esteemed breeder's name, and that this is his selection of Larix. Just writing mistakes happen.... So I also agree that it should be able to edit the text on this page later - do not allow further spread of such inadvertent mistakes....

No, Edwin, winter really comes to us just around the New Year - as usuall. This was just a snow storm. Now we have +5 +8 degrees again and snow melted. Again only rain, rain, rain..... and wind... Seaside are so close - our weather is very wet and troubled in autumn.

Pinus mugo 'Dubrava' is Lithuanian selection, but I buy it in Kalsnava nursery. But I like a lot Nurga Puukool nursery too!:) They have quite a lot of rare plants (for our region) and I often buy plants there. Right now they all flooded and some plants are died:(... Rainy autumn and also big snow, which melted...

Ireena

• kleckas
    11 years ago

Ireena, your pine is not Pinus mugo 'Dubrava'.

'Dubrava' was found in 1987 (aprx) by my friend Rimvydas Kareiva, nurseryman at Dubrava nursery, Kaunas, Lithuania. It was found in P. mugo plantations as a strange SEEDLING. The plant is very small, slow growing. Needles very short and dark. Annual growth - only about 2-3 cm. The look is very veird and the plant was interesting only for collectors and dendrologists. Therefore it wasn't propagated in commercial amounts and was never sold.

Pinus mugo 'Dubrava' at Nurga Nursery, Estonia:

{{gwi:619048}}

Me and R. Kareiva examined plants, sold as 'Dubrava' at Kalsnava nursery. Definitely not 'Dubrava', evident mislabeling. Most likely it is another Lithuanian cultivar - Pinus mugo 'Kuronija':

{{gwi:619049}}

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Arunas for your important info!

'Kuronija' is very beautifull plant. I will amend my list.

Ireena