Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picea_gw

Polution/temp change effect mycorrhizae?

picea
16 years ago

We have had a nice discussion on Global warming but I have another question that is somewhat tied into this. Can or could the polution that we put into the environment have a negative impact on mycorrhizae and their beneficial interaction with plants? Could global warming, what ever the cause, magnify this?

When you see large plant population in stress experts discuss a lot of variable but never this one. I was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on this subject.

David

Comments (8)

• dcsteg
    16 years ago

Hi David,

A really technical question that most of us, but not all, would have to look up the term just to know what you are talking about.

Since you seem to have some interest and back ground in this subject, what are your thoughts?

Dave

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

No such thing as global warming but pollution can have negative impact on mycorrhizae. Excessive use of synthetic fertiilizer, fungicide, and so on will also ruin them. I'm sure there are thousands of other chemicals that will have negative impact on SOIL BIOLOGY in some ways...

Untouched forests will always do much better no matter what the climate throws at them...

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

Yes, they will undoubtedly effect the fungi, but they may see a shift towards more heat-tolerant species.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Agreed, synthetic ferts and their salts are no good for them. As for heat, they live quite nicely in a warm (but not really cookin') compost heap, so I doubt that heat is a factor.

tj

• conifers
    16 years ago

That's always a word I can never spell. We used to sell it on the counter at a nursery I worked at in Oregon.

It's a beneficial bacteria that occurs naturally (and in a can) that exists between the nutrients and water in the soil that is the bridge the feeds the white-tipped feeder roots. It speeds up the process of nutrient uptake.

Dax

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Yes, Dax, it's a fungus that spreads out in a hairlike or fiberous form (sometimes for several meters if left undisturberbed). It digests organic material and converts it into a form plants can absorb. You may have seen it when digging. Around here it usually looks like a white stringy frost in the ground. If my fuzzy memory serves me correctly, I think I read somewhere that wood fibers and mycorrhizae in the soil combine for an excellant conifer bed (in general).

tj

• wisconsitom
    16 years ago

Picea, in my opinion, yes pollutants could and most likely do have an effect on soil microbes and fungi. Heavy metals are toxic to most life, and changes wrought by acid rain, it seems to me, should have an effect on what species are able to live in a given area, to name two possibilities. The ever-increasing use of deicing salts on roads and parking lots-also ever-increasing-besides gradually making the Great Lakes saltier, destroys soil structure itself where it infiltrates into soil downstream of pavement. Very little, if anything, can grow in such soils for a long time. There's other nonpoint stuff too like oil, antifreeze, etc. It just depends on where it goes and what it does along the way.

+oM

• conifers
    16 years ago

Yeah right +om.

Dax