Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodstav

random pictures in Europe, IDs accepted

goodstav
13 years ago

Hi,

I've been taking some pictures when I spot an interesting conifer lately (well, at least interesting for me as coming from the southern subtropics). I'd like to share them and ask for ID if someone's up for it.

Conifer 1, in Barcelona, Montjuic:

{{gwi:624465}}From garden
{{gwi:624467}}From garden

Conifer 2: Wollemia nobilis, Jardin de Plantes, Paris:

{{gwi:624469}}From garden
{{gwi:624471}}From garden

Conifer 3: in Toulouse (sorry for the light)

{{gwi:624473}}From garden
{{gwi:624474}}From garden

Conifer 4: in Toulouse, France

{{gwi:624476}}From garden
{{gwi:624479}}From garden

Conifer 5: Araucaria araucana, in Toulouse

{{gwi:624481}}From garden
{{gwi:624482}}From garden

Conifer 6: in Toulouse

{{gwi:624483}}From garden
{{gwi:624484}}From garden

Conifer 7, in Toulouse

{{gwi:624485}}From garden
{{gwi:624486}}From garden

Conifer 8: Cedrus deodara, in Toulouse

{{gwi:624487}}From garden

Conifer 9: in Chateauroux, France:

{{gwi:624488}}From garden
{{gwi:624489}}From garden

Conifer 10: around Paris

{{gwi:624490}}From garden
{{gwi:624491}}From garden

Conifers 11/12: Araucaria araucana and Cedrus deodara growing together in the city of Paris

{{gwi:624492}}From garden

Conifer 13: xmas trees in Paris

{{gwi:624493}}From garden

Conifer 14: Parc de Sceaux, around Paris.. very well pruned cones. Taxus baccata?

{{gwi:624494}}From garden

Comments (23)

• pineresin
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

1. Picea glauca 'Conica'
    2. as stated
    3. Picea pungens
    4. Cupressus nootkatensis
    5. as stated
    6. Pseudotsuga menziesii subsp. glauca
    7. Abies concolor
    8. as stated
    9. Picea pungens
    10. Picea abies
    11. as stated
    12. as stated
    13. Abies nordmanniana
    14. as stated

Resin

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

I agree with Resin,

but Nr.6 I would say Picea breweriana.

Wolfgang

• pineresin
    13 years ago

"but Nr.6 I would say Picea breweriana"

Sorry, nope! - look at the buds and glaucous leaves in the foliage pic ;-)

Resin

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

O.K.

the habitus is different,too!

Wolfgang

• richardus
    13 years ago

That Araucaria Araucana looks impressive!

*notes down*

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Richardus, your member page don't show us from which country you're, why didn't you fill out that part?

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Question:

Last photo, on the right, what's going on with those deciduous trees that look like rectangles? What are those?

Dax

• pineresin
    13 years ago

"Last photo, on the right, what's going on with those deciduous trees that look like rectangles? What are those?"

More topiary. Most likely Hornbeam Carpinus betulus, that's the traditional species for this use.

Resin

• sluice
    13 years ago

Nice plants, and scenery!

Merci!

• texjagman
    13 years ago

I love the Wollemia nobilis. Does it always stay that columner and narrow?

mark

• richardus
    13 years ago

Re: Coniferjoy

I'm from Skopje, Macedonia. Trees and conifers are my relatively new obsession so I check the forum daily. I'm trying to figure out why we don't have a variety of trees and conifers over here...

I tried updating my member page but on few ocassions I got error messages, I don't know why. Some of the info got saved, some didn't.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Thanks, Resin.

That would be the largest topiary in my experience on this planet! It brings a certain visual element, that's rather - dynamic.

Dax

• pineresin
    13 years ago

"I'm from Skopje, Macedonia. .... I'm trying to figure out why we don't have a variety of trees and conifers over here... "

You've got Macedonian Pine (Молика), what more could you ask for!

Resin

• goodstav
    Original Author
    13 years ago

the French love topiary. it's chestnut tree on that place, and london plane tree on some other rows in the same park.
    some extra pictures below:
    {{gwi:624495}}From garden
    {{gwi:624497}}From garden
    {{gwi:624498}}From garden
    {{gwi:624499}}From garden

• tunilla
    13 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. I bet they don't let any old Tom, Dick or Harry equipped with garden shears near those cones! Wouldn't be surprised if they have a purpose-built machine to do the job. Then again, topiary masters do exist -spare no expense,please! T.

• richardus
    13 years ago

Re: Pineresin

Yeah, the Macedonian Pine, popular as Molika here. Typical for national park Pelister, beautiful place with a beautiful forest. Someone told me it only grows there, 1.400 meter and higher and wouldn't thrive in the lower places and cities? Is that true?

I was thinking more of why we didn't have a selection of urban trees. I can only see linden, maple, oriental plane, populus, cypress arizonica, add two or three more and that's it. I stuggled to find an oak in the city and I finally found... two!

• pineresin
    13 years ago

"Someone told me it only grows there, 1.400 meter and higher and wouldn't thrive in the lower places and cities? Is that true? "

Not all true, no; it is native more widely in the Balkans, e.g. the Pirin and Rila mountains in Bulgaria, and north to the Mokra Gora mountains on the Montenegro / Kosovo / Serbia border. Also it occurs naturally as low as 600m in some places. But whether it could be grown as low as 250m in Skopje, not sure. Try it and see! It might be successful if given a site with moist soil.

Resin

• goodstav
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well I come back to share one more picture and a thought... about how amazing the mediterranean climate is, allowing plants like Picea glauca 'Conica' to grow in the same city as banana trees (Barcelona).
    The picture shows banana trees (producing bananas!) growing next to Cedrus libani 'Atlantica Glauca'. It looks like it's a little protected by the building, but still...
    {{gwi:624500}}From garden

and also spotted a Syagrus romanzoffiana in Barcelona, a palm tree native to where I live in subtropical South America. Not a conifer but it amazes me concerning climate zones... {{gwi:624501}}From garden

• tunilla
    13 years ago

Hi Goodstav. I think it has a lot to do with atmospheric humidity. The Picea glauca conicas also appear to be growing in semi-shade and are a bit sparse on needles in my opinion.
    There is a lot of experimenting to be done with ornamentals in Mediterranean and Sub-Mediterranean climates.Then again,part of the public opinion is frankly against planting non-endemic species, thinking of this as being un-natural. They seem to forget that the stone Pine (Pinus pinea),the Cedars (C.libani ssp.,deodara),the vines,the Cypresses(C.sempervirens,arizonica,glabra,dupreziana),the fig-trees and many-if not most- of the fruit trees grown here have also been introduced by man. T.

• goodstav
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Tunilla,
    yes, I agree that it has to do with atmospheric humidity.
    I thought the stone pine, the cedars, Vitis vinifera, the fig-trees and some of the cypresses you mentioned were native to this Mediterranean area and not introduced by men here.

• pineresin
    13 years ago

"I thought the stone pine, the cedars, Vitis vinifera, the fig-trees and some of the cypresses you mentioned were native to this Mediterranean area and not introduced by men here"

The Mediterranean is a large area; most of the species Tunilla names are only native to small parts of it, not the whole area.

Stone Pine Pinus pinea: definitely native in Portugal, and southern & central Spain only. Other populations likely naturalised from ancient human cultivation.

Lebanon Cedar Cedrus libani: naitve in the Atlas Mountains (subsp. atlantica) and Turkey to Lebanon (subsp. libani).

Mediterranean Cypress Cupressus sempervirens: native to Crete, southern Turkey, and Cyrenaica (Libya) only. All populations north of the Med and west of Crete are cultivated origin.

Vitis vinifera is the exception in being native across almost the entire Med.

Resin

• nothotsuga
    12 years ago

Bumping!

• sluice
    12 years ago

Good call!

It was nice touring the Parc de Sceaux again.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County