Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

New Pinus wallichiana cultivar comming up...

coniferjoy
11 years ago

While cutting scions for grafting I discovered this stranger.
It's a differend one standing in a row of Pinus wallichiana 'Zebrina'.
All the 'Zebrina' specimens are completely yellow in this time of year but this one has a "dragon eye" appaerence...

Pinus wallichiana 'Filip's Golden Eye'
{{gwi:624567}}

{{gwi:624569}}

{{gwi:624571}}

Comments (16)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Definitely different. Winter makes the difference. In summer I suppose they would look difficult to tell apart.

What it is, is an improvement to Zebrina. To see them as grafts and compare side to side for several years, then you will know.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dax, this one is grafted specimen, it was a mutation allready when I cut it 4 years ago, but I didn't see it at that time...

Next year I'll start comparing from the beginning on, which is easy because the 'Zebrina' specimens are growing beside it.

Today the 'Golden Eye' and the 'Zebrina' are grafted again so now comparison can also take place from the young stadium on.

This mutation reminds me to the Pinus koraiensis 'Dragon Eye'.
    Only the 'Golden Eye' is brighter in all aspects.

Pinus koraiensis 'Dragon Eye'
    {{gwi:624574}}

{{gwi:624576}}

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I agree. Those were my precise thoughts, actually.

Dax

• arceesmith
    11 years ago

Looks good - will be fun to watch this one over the years! I hope you will give us a summer comparison update.

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My luck is that the original specimen is now allready one metre high and has the "dragon eye" look all over it.
    This will save me several years for watching it if it is a stable mutation, which it is.

It's a great joy for me to find this beautiful mutation because there are only a few cultivars availlable of this species.
    This one will be a nice addition for sure!

To bad that other members here don't see the beauty of it, maybe they're overwhelmed and recovering will take a few days... ;0)

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

A very nice cultivar, indeed.
    Perhaps scions could be traded for scions of Pinus monticola 'Halloween Broom' next year.. ;-)

-Sam

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Excellent beautiful plant! I love wallichianas and really, there is not much variety!

I am delighted for your success! You have an "eagle eye":) And now the 'Golden Eye' too ....

I will definitely try to grow in my garden some wallichianas. I have good warm and sheltered places, where I plan to plant my first.

A. Auders in his garden has several wallichianas who successfully wintering.

One question - is Pinus koraiensis 'Jack Corbit' and 'Dragon Eye' the same plant?

Ireena

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ireena!
    Yes, the 'Jack Corbit' and 'Dragon Eye' are two names for one plant.
    'Dragon Eye' is the one we've to use...

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Now that is really pale -- even for a tree that normally has pale needles.

Should give a cool, frosty effect even in midsummer.

• ademink
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Would love to see summer pics!

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Andrea, it seems that Dax is right with his statement:
    "Definitely different. Winter makes the difference. In summer I suppose they would look difficult to tell apart."

I tagged the special tree, but no differences with the 'Zebrina' in this time of year.
    I'll come back to this in fall or winter when the temperatures are getting much lower.

I see that you're a member to this forum for over 10 years now, which is a very long time.
    Congratulations!

• ademink
    10 years ago

Thank you, my friend! I've learned SO MUCH from this forum. It has been incredibly valuable and the people so generous with their knowledge. People like YOU! :) Thank you for teaching how NOT to slaughter the proper names of conifers! LOL

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're welcome!

It's too bad that the pics of this Pinus wallichiana find are temporary gone.
    Most be the cause of posting too many pics at my Larix laricina brooms subject... :0)

• lemon1111
    10 years ago

Hello Coniferjoy!
    You found very nice cultivar indeed. Is this cultivar winter hard?? I'm asking because I come from Poland and we have here very cold winters - zone 5-6.
    I found something different to on Pinus wallichiana but it's under observation. It's from seedling and it's 3 years old. This one is irregular gold painted.
    {{gwi:624578}}
    {{gwi:624581}}
    Greetings and congratulations Wiktor

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Wiktor,
    What I've heard is that Pinus wallichinana isn't hardy for zone 5, but 6 is possible.

Your find looks interesting so far.
    Beside the 'Filip's Golden Eye' I also found another one which is pretty simular to yours, but then in a white form:
    Pinus wallichiana 'Filip's White Stripes'
    {{gwi:624584}}

Even it's bark is white variegated...
    {{gwi:624587}}

Grafted plants are showing a stable variegation
    {{gwi:624590}}

This selection was one of the "secret" ones which Ireena showed us recently ago... ;0)

Here is a link that might be useful: secret one

• lemon1111
    10 years ago

Second one is very nice indeed too :) I hope that mine cultivar reproduce the same characteristic how mother mutation but it need more observations and patient :)
    ps. Could you share a photo of all plant 'Filip's White Stripes' because I'm curious how look variegation compare with rest. Thanks in advice!! :)