Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extreme Pinus sylvestris snakebranch

Posted by Jarpe z4-z5 Finland (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 4:55

Snake branch form of Pinus sylvestris in Enso guzeit collection of specialities at Imatra, Finland. Original tree is from Janakkala. Location is now too shaded and all living branches are in upper part. It could look great if it was growing in sunny place

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extreme Pinus sylvestris snakebranch

Interesting form! Do you have plans to propagate this one?

o

• Posted by Jarpe z4-z5 Finland (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 4:10

Liferisking climbing resulted couple of scions. Here is one of them grafted in my garage.

o

you said: Enso guzeit collection of specialities at Imatra

==>>> if memory serves.. and sometimes it doesnt.. you are a forester ... and a lot of your finds are related to harvesting of timber...

i dont understand.. and google failed to explain what a 'collection of specialties' is ...

are these wild trees .... ??? ... or from some long ago planted collection ..???

your pic looks like you tried rooting it ... is there a graft there??? ... the needles 70% of the way up look different.. is that the scion???

always interesting.. thx

ken

o

Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 8:58

Here is better picture of the graft.
There is an area at Imatra where grafts of special forms have been planted in big scale. they are mainly grafts made of P.sylvestris and Picea abies mutants from all over Finland. Area where snakepine is was planted in 1973.

o

Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 9:01

Closeup

o

i didnt even see the tape in the first pic.. thought it was just some weird camera flash colors ... lol ..

and now.. its as apparent as the nose on my face.. lol ..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here