Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thuja ID needed

Posted by mikebotann 8a SE of Seattle (mikebotann@gmail.com) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 7:32

After hanging out in this forum for a few years I've come to realize that about half the conifers I've acquired over the years have been mislabeled. The tag on this one said Variegated Arborvitae. Duh.
I'm not especially fond of it due to the browning of the yellow. It's in full sun now and could probably use a little afternoon shade. That can easily be remedied in my garden full of trees. ;-)
Mike

photo 005-2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thuja ID needed

Maybe Chamaecyparis nootkatensis ‘Aurea Variegata’ ?

Frank

o

When I crush the foliage it smells different than a 'Nootkatensis'.
The shape is that of an 'Emerald'.
Mike

o

Looks sickly, with lots of dead foliage. I'd just get rid of it and not worry about the name (other than to avoid buying the same again!), and plant something else nicer.

Resin

o

Thuja occidentalis "Smaragd Variegated"

Clement

o

Resin, I have two of them. Both given to me as gifts. The other one looks so bad I didn't want to post it here. Still don't. I thought I could make them look better over time. That hasn't happened.
Hate to have a bad apple spoil the look of the garden just because of the collector in me.
I will take your advice Resin and get rid of it.
Clement, thank you for the identification. I will include it with the RIP.
Mike

o

Like Clément said, it's a variegated mutation of the 'Smaragd'.
This kind of mutation is very common for this cultivar, I see it regulary here at my nursery but I don't propagate these anymore because the yellow parts will burn all the time or they will revert back to normal green...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here