Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acs_webeditor

Turkish Firs

acs_webeditor
10 years ago

Phil Syphrit, conifer curator at Cornell Plantations in snowbound Ithaca, NY, is fighting off cabin fever by ruminating about Abies bornmuelleriana and Abies equi-trojani on the ACS site.

He feels these two subspecies deserve to be upgraded to species status. Driving this is the fact that the Turkish firs are proving to be excellent under stock for many of the Abies species that are being killed off by root rot -- and not just those raised for Christmas trees but the more costly Abies species cultivars prized by collectors.

(ACS members logged into the site can engage with him but anybody can watch the discussion unfold.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's give the Turkish Firs some respect.

Comments (17)

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

Certainly something to consider, but unless in the far north zone 4, A. firma still beat everything else by a very large margin. It could pretty much cover most of the country. Supply seems to be getting better too as more people recognize the benefits.

ken_adrian has 6494 posts, 325 pages of posts, as of 1/30/14

This post was edited by fairfield8619 on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 11:58

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

"ken_adrian has 6494 posts, 325 pages of posts, as of 1/30/14"

Congratulations Ken!
    I always enjoy your posts.
    Mike

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

Sorry Mike, not everyone enjoys ken's hogging the forums with his condescending patriarchal inane rants. The same old stuff that contributes nothing. Control freak for sure. Others feel the same way but won't say anything, so it is left to me. Bullies need to be exposed.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

I enjoy Ken's posts as well.
    Not bullying nor hogging in my book, but I understand how some folks may not enjoy them.

Not sure what this has to do with Turkish Firs, however.

tj

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

It has nothing to do with Turkish firs. Mike just felt the need to defend Ken do to my update to Ken's garden web activity. I will continue periodically to do it when I post a comment or ask a question just as Ken will continue to comment on every post someone makes all over garden web.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Ah, I see. You will make random interjections of Ken's posting status just as you believe Ken's interjections are random.

So, just so I understand, by you yourself becoming what you feel Ken does (bullying), it will make it a more...um...fair field, as it were?

Can we all play? Can, say, some of us root Ken on to hit the 7,000 posts mark?

tj

BTW, I do enjoy your posts along with Ken's, fairfield8619.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

An ignore feature would resolve a lot of this. There are a couple people I would put on that list (Ken is not one of them) and I'm sure I'd be put on a few people's ignore list as well.

As for the article, nice read. Someday I will visit some northern gardens and appreciate many firs that will not grow here. They are a beautiful genus. Thankfully Patrick has gifted an abies firma to me that I hope doesn't get added to the graveyard! That guy sure is a generous fellow.

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

I find many of Ken's posts amusing and refreshing.

He often posts when no one else does, which makes everyone feel that they are not only included but also that their posts are simply read.
    I believe I speak for the majority of members when I say that Ken is one of the more loyal and friendly members of this forum!

Also, part of the reason he has posted so much is the amount of time he has been a member of this forum.
    Your attacks on him are uncalled-for and unfair.

And a very fascinating article on Turkish fir, Sean. Thanks for sharing.
    Abies firma is a phenomenal rootstock that will be used increasingly in the coming years!

-Sam

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

As usual cliques always form, it is a common occurence. It really doesn't matter how long someone has been on the forum since no one owns the forum. Nevertheless, bad, egomanical behavior should not be tolerated. There are people who do not post here anymore and some who rarely post because of people like ken and edward. And I'm am not attacking him, just pointing out what anyone can do with the search feature. So get your knickers out of a twist. Unfair? ken's behavior is unfair. He is everywhere, Imagine my surprise, or not, when researching generators for an RV on Google and up pops ken...I knew instantly...wait for it...it was him... on the AR-15...survivalist forum. This disturbing indeed and tells me a lot.
    Have you noticed there is not much activity here like there used to be because of things like this?

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Ken, do you know who Edward is? :0)

• baxswoh
    10 years ago

So why did this post get hijacked?

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

I find a thread where someone hijack's a thread to complain about another forum member more irritating that "excessive posts"...

How hard is it to scroll past Ken's responses and laugh at Edwin's (well-deserved) arrogance regarding Conifers? These guys play key roles on this forum...If people have left, they have gone quietly and mostly unnoticed. The forum is dead right now because half the US has been in a friggin icebox for the past month

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

I think they should be separate species....wait....is that what we're talking about?

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

I did not complain or hijack, Mike made the comment about ken and that started it all. And "well deserved arrogance"? Surely you jest, that is part of the problem. Note that on Facebook, edwin is very nice and does not constantly correct everyone since he would be kicked off for acting out, it is a moderated forum. And I don't see posts like ken's at all. Both would have been gone long ago when this was moderated forum. You could certainly ignore my ken updates just the same as you say I should ignore ken's bizarre rants.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

I do know that several sources (including some here) have suggested that both A. bornmuelleriana and A. equi-trojani (some would argue those are in fact versions of the same tree) grow well as straight seedlings in my part of the country. Not *quite* as adaptable as A. firma, but close, and somewhat better than A. nordmanniana, which also grows acceptably well here. The root rot resistance is a major plus.

As a seedgrown species, I think both of the Turkish firs mentioned here are better looking at maturity than straight A. firma.

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

A. firma doesn't even look like a fir to me, it looks like a Jurasic Park type thing, as does cunninghamia and wollemia. Very reptilian plastic-like.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

I enjoyed the post just for the fact I can't grow Abies..

With Abies bornmuelleriana and Abies equi-trojani being considered as a valuable under stock maybe in the future I will be able to enjoy a few Abies in my garden. I always considered them beautiful conifers.

As for Ken we hash it out back and forth sometimes but I consider him my friend. He's up front and never beats around the bush like it or not. He even sent me four conifer cultivars he personally grafted. A generous gift and all add that little extra touch in my garden.

This is a forum for everybody. Try to stay with the subject matter. Don't let personally traits inhibit the value of good information posted here.

Hopefully what I said won't make anybody mad.

Dave