Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Larix kaempferi Pendula vs L. decidua Pendula

we are now moving on to the 5/28/11 batch of pix ... still hanging around the wall and patio ... apparently that area was on my mind those few days ...

there are just a few peeps in the world who can tell the pendula Larix apart.. and they are probably with us ... and one guy who only loves green trees ... so these two are actually up his alley ... he was the one who spotted the difference ...

they are totally mixed up in the trade ... unless you buy from a true pro ....

the only way to tell them apart.. is cones.. and some pink in newer growth ...

the kaempferi is leaning itself out of the ground.. and 90% of it.. will be sawn off.. before spring push .. if not today ... if the muse strikes ...

lotus .. i believe you spotted the decidua in another post.. and i am not sure i ever answered you regarding such ...

ken

Larix kaempferi Pendula

{{gwi:626807}}

Larix decidua Pendula

{{gwi:626808}}

Comments (19)

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Based on the elegant form L. decidua has to be the lady of the two.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol.. second pic.. late may in MI ...

THE SNOW SHOVEL IS STILL HANDY .. .LOL

ken

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Both plants in the pics have orange-pink shoots, so they're both L. kaempferi, or L. � marschlinsii. No L. decidua there ;-)

Resin

Original Author
    12 years ago

oh resin.. are you changing your own mind from years back ... or am i mis-remembering the conversation ...

i swear i bought a duplicate name .. to balance the planting in front of the house... and you were the one who ID'd the difference.. perhaps based on the older pix below ... so in this one instance.. i actually went out and changed the tag .. what is the one below ...

or i dreamed it all .. lol .. and you have been consistent.. and i never changed the tag nor the dB ....

ken

{{gwi:626809}}

{{gwi:626810}}

and for you ... how long planted.. and how fast do they grow.. this pic is from 2005 ... just 4 years ... and i probably cut the top 4 feet off.. when i had enough of the stakes ... i would say 2 to 4 feet per year ...
    {{gwi:626811}}

and here they were in 2009 ... before i gave up trying to figure out how to get taller stakes ... and got tired of looking at the stakes on the porch ... so i topped them ....

{{gwi:626812}}

{{gwi:626813}}

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I see pink.......

In the trade all the decidua are actually kaempferi. This topic is as old as the stone age ;-)

Dax

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

whaas: Based on the elegant form L. decidua has to be the lady of the two.

ken, she's a dowager dripping lace and fringe, with a train on her gown.

What a pity they can't support themselves.

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Ken,

Gorgeous!!! Just gorgeous. So, are there two different cultivars...Larix kaempferi 'Pendula' and Larix decidua 'Pendula'? How can you tell the difference?

Mine was labeled Larix decidua 'Pendula' and sadly it is not putting out a lot of side shoots. I don't even have a picture of it while it is in growth. I will try to get a photo of it this week. I hope mine puts out a full lush bit of growth.

The last photo really shows a great deal of your yard beyond the Larix and it is very beautiful. It must be wonderful to sit out on the deck with friends and enjoy that view. Very very nice!

Thanks for sharing.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

I have what is supposed to be a Larix Decidua Pendula coming this spring. I would never be able to tell the difference between the decidua, kaempferi and marschlinsii.
    I really appreciate the pics of yours, Ken as it's changed my mind as to where it'll be planted. You've just saved me some headaches!
    Thanks for the pics and the humor. You're staving off my winter doldrums!

• gardener365
    12 years ago

It's kaempferi 'Pendula'. There is no decidua. Mis-marketing. I've written that above.

Shape will be like Ken's plants only if staked. Once they reach a height you want them at, they will cascade for the remainder of their life and if not pruned they will crawl on the ground as the new growth continues cascading from those that are staked. If not staked at all, they will crawl on the ground, permanently.

Dax

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Given your description, Dax, it sounds like it would be cool to construct a scaffold
    for several years to create a tall, shapely cascade from one of these trees.

Josh

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

So it should be written Larix Kaempferi 'Pendula'? I think I've got it, Dax, thanks! I'd planned to stake it to about 6', then let it spill, like Ken's. It's clearly going to need more that that. I like that scaffolding idea!

Barb

• salicaceae
    12 years ago

Actually there is a real decidua 'Pendula'. It was in cultivation in Europe many years ago, but probably never got into cultivation here in the U.S. Here, you have kaempferi 'Pendula', kaempferi 'Julian's Weeper', laricina 'Nash's Pendula' (invalid cultivar name) possibly a 4th one that is likely x marschlinsii that is sold as decidua 'Pendula'. There is also 'Stiff Weeping' that is in the trade here and also 'Blue Rabbit Weeping' in Europe. Not to mention the strongly weeping hybrid taxon L. x pendula (which is decidua x laricina).

Original Author
    12 years ago

barb asks:

Larix Kaempferi 'Pendula' ???

no capital K ....

second latin name is NEVER capitalized ...

so it would be

Larix kaempferi 'Pendula'

ken

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

Don't know why I'm having such trouble grasping this and I appreciate you setting me straight. I will learn eventually.

Thank you!

Barb

• Windhaven
    12 years ago

I wish I could see the pictures in this thread. Are they available somewhere else?

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Try Google.

GW outsources all photos here. Look for this thread.

Dave

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

This is a true Larix decidua 'Pendula' which is growing in my Pinetum.
    Without the needles the yelowish branch colour is cleary visuable.

Larix decidua 'Pendula'
    {{gwi:626814}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

your wish is my command .. simply for the asking

ken

• Windhaven
    12 years ago

Thanks for re-posting your pictures Ken. Lovely!!

I am fascinated by Larix and may get up the nerve to post some pics of mine.