Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scpalmnut

Spring/Summer Conifer Adventures

scpalmnut
10 years ago

While seeing conifers in a garden is great, I really get a thrill to see species in their native habitats. Below are a few pictures taken along the Milford Track in New Zealand, which overall was a wonderful experience but was not overly rich in the conifer department.

Phyllocladus alpinus

{{gwi:626878}}

{{gwi:626879}}

After several days of walking and toward the end of the trail, Dacrydium cupressinum made an appearance.

{{gwi:626880}}

Never saw any large specimens near the trail as these larger ones were on the other side of a river.

{{gwi:626882}}

While a botanizing trip to the mountains of Mexico would be just about NIrvana for me, the highlands of Guatemala in September was an adequate substitute and probably safer.
In the middle of the picture, Pinus pseudostrobus on the left and next to it on the right Pinus maximinoi.

{{gwi:626884}}

A nice cultivated specimen of Abies Guatemalensis.

{{gwi:626885}}

Abies Guatemalensis Christmas tree farm. Unlike here, they leave some lower growth on the stump which will form a new leader and new tree in time.

{{gwi:626886}}

{{gwi:626888}}

Getting a lesson on how to identify young specimens.

{{gwi:626890}}

Always one of my favorite places to visit.

{{gwi:626892}}

It didn't take long before our guide got caught the conifer bug and was pulling off the road to look at trees.

{{gwi:626894}}

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio