Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking Salt Resistant Conifers

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 11:18

What conifers tolerate salt spray best?

They could be planted in sandy soil or compact clay soil. Zone 6A. Unfortunately, Austrian pines and Japanese Black Pines pines have disease problems in the area. North American natives preferred.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking Salt Resistant Conifers

Pinus rigida. Make sure the seed is from coastal sources.

Resin

o

Good choice, but rather hard to find.

o

Go to the coastal pine barrens and collect your own seed? Easy to grow, and collecting your own ensures you are in complete control of the seed source.

Resin

o

My current plan is to plant some Blue Spruce this spring. (The Bristol County Soil Conservation Office sells them at their Spring plant sale). Then I'm going to plant some Pitch Pines this Fall. (Still looking for a good source for those...the Forest Service of the Tennessee Department of Agriculture sells them by mail order, but I'd prefer to find a good local source.)

Ideally I'd like to get a staggered double row of trees, with a row of Pitch Pines and a row of spruce.

o

blue spruce is a common term... to picea pungens ...

seedlings of pungens vary wildly.. from green to blue ...

so dont be surprised.. if some of them.. from the soil conservation district.. are not blue ...

if they are not blue.. they will never turn blue ... its genetic ... they cant change from one thing to another.. over age ...

this would only be an issue.. if you were collecting cultivars.. and had some expectation of color ...

talk with your soil conservation district if blue is imperative ...

ken

o

I like the blue color, but I also like a little genetic diversity in the local tree population.

Does Blue Spruce sound like a reasonable choice for a patch of dense clay soil in a coastal area with a lot of wind and beetles and a splattering of salt spray every couple years?

This post was edited by edlincoln on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 14:23

o

i have no clue .. about the salt spray ...

but to insure you understand...

you are getting Picea pungens seedlings ...

you keep calling them BLUE spruce ... a common name..

they may or may not be blue ...

and there is nothing wrong with that.. as long as your expectations are set properly ...

IMHO ... clay is irrelevant to a tree ... its all about how you plant them in clay ... so as to provide drainage during the transplant recovery period... once established.. a tree can put its roots where it prefers them ... its usually us, who kill them thru improper planting ... and watering ...

since you are dealing with the soil conservation district.. what have they told you about your project??? ... they would be my prime source .. as they are local and supposedly knowledge about local conditions ...

ken

o

Blue Spruce isn't very salt tolerant. Coastal origins of White Spruce would be better, if you can find them.

Resin

o

in my climate this Pinus brutia var. pityus, Juniperus excelsa

o

White Spruce is more salt resistant then Blue Spruce? That was something I was trying to determine, and got a lot of mixed information. Which is better with wind and clay?

Will pinus brutia survive in Zone 6?

This post was edited by edlincoln on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 16:03

o

Picea pungens is more salt resistant than Picea glauca.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: One of many similar lists out there

o

"Will pinus brutia survive in Zone 6?"

No, it won't, zone 7 is its limit (and preferably zone 8); it also doesn't tolerate summer humid / wet conditions, being very much a dry-climate tree.

"Picea pungens is more salt resistant than Picea glauca"

Depends on the origin of the Picea glauca. Most sources aren't, but coastal sources from e.g. Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, etc., have proven very salt tolerant in tests. Sorry, can't find the reference - it was a study I saw a long time ago.

Resin

o

Pinus brutia var. pityus, withstands temperature drop to - 30C

o

"Pinus brutia var. pityus, withstands temperature drop to - 30C"

True, but remember, (a) -30°C can occur in a severe winter in zone 7 - there is a big difference between absolute minima (what kills plants) and average minima (what zone numbers are based on), and (b) there is a big difference between a brief -30 followed by warm sun the next day in a dry climate, and -30 during a long period staying sub-zero in a wetter climate where the coldness is kept by snow/ice.

Resin

o

Yes, I understand! in my climate-30C is rare and not prodozhitelno. I'm in zone 6

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here