Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy_ny

Pinus sabiniana hardiness?

How cold hardy is this species? Are there specific stands within its native habitat that experience colder temperatures/longer winters than elsewhere in its range?

I bought a P. sabiniana cone in January '08 (cheaper than traveling to CA to collect my own):
{{gwi:627584}}
The cone had a couple seeds still in it, and I was able to get one to germinate. The seedling has suvived outdoors above ground in a pot for the past 4 winters without any winter damage. I know it has seen at least -6F (-21C). The pot has mulch mounded over it along with the other potted seedlings in my "tree nursery". The seedling has been slow growing; it is about 14 inches tall (35.5cm) and just started producing adult foliage this past summer. Sorry, I don't have pictures of the seedling currently.

I found a similar thread from a year or so ago started by Clement. Shastensis and Pinyonhead chimed in on info of stands in CA that have withstood temps as low as -20F (-29C) which happens to be the record low for my area as well. Shastensis, if you're still able to collect seeds from stands that experience below zero temperatures, I would love to buy/trade for some. Please e-mail me or post back in this thread!

I know this tree will have difficulty with my area's summer humidity, but was curious as to its cold toleerance. Thanks all for the input! So far I have not seen any evidence of damage from humidity/fungus on the seedling.

Comments (7)