Posted by sluice z 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 26, 12 at 11:26

New for 2012

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: plant hardiness map

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: USDA zone hardiness map

been beaten to death at the tree forum ...

i dont care what that map says.. i can not grow z6 plants in my z5 garden .. regardless that the map claims i am z6 ..

ken

o

Great find, Sluice, thanks for the link! This is a nice upgrade. Too bad we cannot zoom in on those state maps.

o

Here you can click on states.

Dax

o

I'm not buying this one. No way can Athens, Ohio be the same zone as N.W. Ohio.

Frank

o

Darn still zone 4b, I'll still try a few 5's. Might get adventrous this year and try some maples

o

I went from 8b to 9b, which makes much more sense for my conditions. I had thought that perhaps I was in a weird banana belt of some kind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

o

Really awesome garden formandfoliage.
Thanks for sharing.

Dax: who was zone 5b-6a now to 5b (actually was in a banana belt) until they re-wrote the map. I'm still confident in zone 6 plants, however.

o

Nice formandfoliage! I like the discussion of the two growing environments, and also the color wheel.

Quick question, are the photos from CA, FL, or a mix?

Thanks again for the link!

o

The photos are all of my California garden, although we may get to the Florida garden at some point (it's in transition, like so many gardens!) My garden will also be on the Garden Design website in a couple of days - it was in the hard copy mag that came out Jan 1, and then they'll put up a longer version on Feb 1. I'll post a link.
Thanks!
Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

o

Hey Nate, woo hooo...I went from zone 3 to 4a. I do agree that there are years I can grow 4a and 4b plants. Some times once they get established I'm ok. BUT, then there are years where we have a SOLID zone 3 winter and a lot of the tender plants disappear.

Thanks for sharing the zone map.

Beautiful gardens Sara. You've done a beautiful job with your website addressing colors and your growing environments. Nicely done!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here