Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
libratravel_gw

Can anyone help identify these plants?

libratravel
9 years ago

I really like this image. Full credit is given to Parker Landscape in Warren, New Jersey. Can any please help identify the evergreens, trees, and shrubs? I would like to replicate this look.

Comments (2)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Some of them can be guessed from this distance but closer views of a few of the conifers in particular would be a lot better.

Note also this layout is temporary as there are kinds included that are going to overwhelm the space in time - a couple of them have already reached the lawn. If that is a Kousa dogwood near the center that by itself will fill the entire bed if left there long enough.

If you want to produce a similar effect - as it looks now - you will have to choose mostly different, mostly quite dwarf or compact cultivars to get the design to last. So there may not be any point in finding out exactly which kinds were used for this particular planting anyway.

You should probably just go to an independent garden center during spring, when there is peak selection and put together your own arrangement. Or if that is simply too daunting hire a garden designer to produce a facsimile - but one that is not going to have exploded out of the bed at some point.

This post was edited by bboy on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 11:53

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i do hope you will be going after some close ups ...

but i will guess on this pic alone ...

right.. blue.. picea pungens.. common blue spruce.. 40 to 60 feet potential for sure ...

third plant from the left??? .. picea abies ... commonly grown as telephone poles ... 60 to 100 foot potential ...

and if those two are correct ... then they are planted.. about 30 feet too close together... and most likely ... just about all the other stuff under them.. will be gone or struggling.. in about 20 years ....

the big green blob center.. behind.. no idea ... cham.. juniper.. or thuja.. but note that it is already out of scale.. because its annual growth rate.. far exceeds that of the rest of the plants ....

and therein .. lies .. lays ... the key ... annual growth rates ... see link .....

for every species ... there are slower growing versions .... and if you want to do a planting like this one.. you should find slower growing versions... or as bboy notes.. within 5 or 10 years... you will be cutting down some of the things that simply... grow to fast ...

i like the placement of this bed ... it surely serves its purpose of hiding the houses behind .... and i will presume the buyer wanted the site block .. like yesterday ... and insisted on large transplant ... but in doing so ... he put the landscaper into a tight box.. of only being able to buy large.. common plants ... and i think that was a failure on some level ....

ken

ps: the left most.. might be a dwarf pine ... with a retarded annual growth rate.. of which i am blanking on the name .... something along the lines of pinus strobus pygmaea ... i can see my plant in my head.. but i cant think of the name ... there is an aurea version also ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link