Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glaciers_end

carnage at Glacier's End . . .

. . . or is it? Over the past few days, we've been treated to a rare winter weather event in Washington State. I am impressed with the resilience of conifers, although there are a few casualties.

First came the snow, about 18 inches of the stuff, white and fluffy, it nicely decorated the landscape.

{{gwi:627802}}

Yours truly on a snow bank admiring Sequoia sempervirens 'Soquel'

{{gwi:627803}}

Picea abies 'Virgata' (at least that's what I thought it was) Mr Joy thinks it's 'Cranstonii' I'll let it get older.

{{gwi:627804}}

Evolution of a decade-old Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca.' First, nice and scenic with a frosting of snow.

{{gwi:627805}}

The next day, Nature turned the snow to ice. Then the trouble started.

{{gwi:627806}}

Many broken branches.

{{gwi:627807}}

Pines did much better. Here's Pinus strobus 'Torulosa' behaving like 'Angel Falls'

{{gwi:627808}}

and a rare weeping Pinus coulterii

{{gwi:627809}}

Larix kaempferi 'Diane' was striking.

{{gwi:627810}}

Crypomeria japonica 'Elegans' and 'Elegans Aurea' provided the best show of all. Here, they're bent to the ground.

{{gwi:627811}}

The foliage shimmers through the ice.

{{gwi:627812}}

today, now that it's warmed and the ice is melted, they're both standing fully upright as if nothing ever happened. In fact, except for the broken branches on the cedar, most everything fared really well. Many of the dwarves and minis are still snow covered, but I'm not concerned. I know where to walk.

~Dave

Comments (8)

• olypen
    12 years ago

Dave,

We had it much easier on the Peninsula with only 7 or 8 inches of snow and none of the ice. Talked with Dianne of Coenosium on Friday and they were running on generators! Glad to here that you were relatively undamaged.

Bill

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Lucky for you! I wonder if keeping the snow on the plants helped in this case?

Typicaly you see more damage with an ice storm (I tracked them for one of my previous jobs).

• Cher
    12 years ago

Fantastic photos. Glad nothing was totally ruined. Dare I say we haven't been hit hard yet.
    Cher

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

whats the big deal???

that is what we call WINTER in MI ... lol ...

it is amazing at their normal resilience ... the bigger problems is when it hangs on for many days or even weeks... consider yourself lucky that it was gone as fast as it was ...

it is also a function of joining the WEIRDER THE BETTER CLUB ... so when you are done pruning.. let me know.. i am the founder.. and a charter member ....

never forget ... mother nature is a cruel mistress ...

you are not as beautiful as i thought .. rotf ... and i am impressed you had the snow gear for what you call an abnormal event ... right behind you on that pic .. whats that totem pole all about ... pruning with whiskey???

and why havent you been posting pix of your plants ... with the rest of us???? ... you show many i never heard of .... nor seen.. here in MI ....

and how come you recognize the foreign guys .... i cant keep track of all these web names ... and reality ...

thx for the pix .... you look like a kid in a candy shop ...

ken

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    Original Author
    12 years ago

you're a scream, Ken. The totem pole is what remains of a dead eucalyptus - my long over experiment with zonal denial. I left the carcass as wildlife habitat.

as for the euro guys, they were out here a couple of weeks ago. I toured them around my place, then hung with them at Coenosium gardens, watching cut a bushel of scionwood.

More pix from candyland to follow. Can't do too much. I wouldn't want to run out of bandwidth or get banned. LOL

~Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

I left the carcass as wildlife habitat.

===>>> sure.. !!!! ... i use said justification.. and then post pix of cool mushrooms .. claiming it bio diversity ... free things in the garden .... uhhhh huh ...

be honest.. you just couldnt figure out how to cut it down [w/o spending money on it] .... without killing you or some other treasure .. lol ..

there is a sub-chapter of the WEIRDER CLUB.. its called the I CAN JUSTIFY ANYTHING given enough time ... lol

and i was telling the guys it must be nice to tour the conifer world on a 2 week VACATION ... and he said.. this is work.. not a vacation ... sure it was ... and it was warm out when you came to MI in mid january .... lol

if i could ever have found a job that gave me the passion joy has.. i would have made a million.. or owned a nursery.. lol ...

i wonder why joy hasnt popped in yet.. i hope he didnt take garys head cold back home with him ...

ken

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Joy been sleeping. Enjoyed your storm Dave. As Ken says, that's all in a few hours period around here.

Dax

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Joy's likely busy grafting. Probably has enough scions to tie him up til March.

Thanks for the pix, Dave. Good to see things came through ok...for the most part.

tj