Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Place To Buy Rare Conifers?

Posted by rickstang (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 25, 11 at 11:52

I'm looking to start my rare conifer collection and was looking for some good places to order from. I sent an order request in to coenosium.com, but haven't heard back yet. So I figured that I would start checking other places just incase they don't get back with me. I know these kind aren't cheap, but would like to keep the price under $40 each if possible. Some of the ones I really would like include, but not limited to:

picea abies "pusch"
PICEA OMORIKA �pendula BRUNS�
PICEA ABIES �GOLD DRIFT�
taxus baccata �standishii'
ABIES KOREANA �GREEN CARPET�
PICEA SMITHIANA �BALLARAT�

These were just ones I found on the site I listed above to start my collection. I really like the nice small weeping conifers. If you have others that you think are must haves, please do post a link.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Place To Buy Rare Conifers?

try the link ...

good peeps... actually been there ....

super prices ... but will need some root untangling at planting ...

gee tree farm is also extraordinary .... google that ....

also google : Rich's Foxwillow Pines Nursery

where are you????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I'm in Ohio, I have a few I'm going to purchase from the link you posted, but the ones I'm relaly trying to find are the pendula bruns and gold drift at a reasonable price.

o

oh i remember now ... the grn giant poster ...

listen.. i have plants on my 'want' lists going on 10 years.. good luck with fulfilling your hearts desires .. lol .. and the bruns is one of them ...

girards and probably all the northern grafters are grafting RIGHT NOW .. call around.. maybe you can get one grafted this season ... for spring delivery .. though FRESH GRAFTS [as compared to second year grafts] can be tricky .... new post if you get that far ...

i have lost a number of yellow P. a.'s .... it survivability might be a reason you cant find them readily available .... such weak yellows.. have higher grafting failures ... higher life issues when young.. and all of a sudden.. everyone wants it.. and none can be found.. go figure on that ...

ken

o

Rich, Ken's link is a great source.

I have used Forest Farm Nursery from Oregon. Love their plants but they seem just a bit higher priced than Girards. If i wasnt on my phone I would post a link but google should do.

Get as many as you can from one source. 80% of what you want is great. In the fall you'll want even more and have a shot at the rest. Like crack, conifers are addicting.

o

I have used these places in the past. Decent selections. : )

http://www.evergreenplantnursery.com/
http://www.coldstreamfarm.net/

J

o

Firefightergardener put together an awesome review of conifer sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Online nursery review guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here