Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnjph

needle browning on Oregon Green Austrian Pine

john9
9 years ago

I planted a five foot Oregon Green Austrian Pine last May. It appeared fine until after a bout of below zero days in November, after which needles on the south-facing side of the tree-the direction from which the sun hits them, began to turn brown. Following another few frigid days in January, it's gotten worse.
Only the top 3 rows of branches, including terminal bud, have begun to set new buds for spring. It's in a place where the ground remains frozen through winter, but has been given ample water beforehand and enough snow melt to keep it plenty moist.
Any ideas on cause and solution?

Comments (9)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

From your own description it is winter burn - maybe this one is less hardy than others.

Another thing that can burn conifers during winter is deicing salt.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

large transplant ... transplant shock ...

buds were set last fall... if not summer ... dont expect more ...

without a pic ... cant go much further ...

though i would like to know how you planted it ... and how it got to the house ...

the buds are the future.. as long as those remain viable you are all set ...

see link where i said basically .. the same thing yesterday ... especially in regard to all the other potential stresses ... there really arent different rules.. for different conifers ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

If the winters are too cold for it there problem will recur indefinitely, whether it is able to bud out again later or not.

Should have rooted out well the first fall after planting, transplant shock (cutting of roots when being dug for final sale) manifesting primarily in dwarfed top growth the first spring and summer after planting only. An exception to this would be if the roots were found to be deformed at planting last spring, cut at that time also. New roots from cut ends come out during spring bud break, something that probably happened before the planting time last May.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it has done just fine.. winter wise.. in my cold z5 MI .. near adrian ...

it was a gorgeous tree .. unfortunately it has other problems ... disease.. of which.. i cant recall what you wizards diagnosed years ago ....

i have no idea what understock mine is on ...

ken

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

You think the browning of the 'Oregon Green' asked about here was a needle cast?

• john9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It seems to me to be winterburn;definitely not needle cast. This is Colorado, where it can be minus 10 (but very rarely) for a day or two and 60 3 days later.
    It came from a nursery, in one of those big, black plastic pots and we planted it carefully and properly. So from what you've said, it probably didn't get that well rooted by the time the Nov. freeze came---which, after a very mild Autumn, hit like a hammer. The buds,though most are still tiny, seem sound, so I saturated it during this mild period and will see what happens come spring.
    Thanks for the advice!

• john9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It seems to me to be winterburn;definitely not needle cast. This is Colorado, where it can be minus 10 (but very rarely) for a day or two and 60 3 days later.
    It came from a nursery, in one of those big, black plastic pots and we planted it carefully and properly. So from what you've said, it probably didn't get that well rooted by the time the Nov. freeze came---which, after a very mild Autumn, hit like a hammer. The buds,though most are still tiny, seem sound, so I saturated it during this mild period and will see what happens come spring.
    Thanks for the advice!

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Current Fine Gardening magazine has an article originating in Michigan about conifer winter burn.