Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eukaryote_gw

source for Cupressus cashmeriana?

eukaryote
17 years ago

Does anyone know a good source for Cupressus cashmeriana in the US? The last thing I need is another plant, but after seeing this one...well, I'm sure many can relate. Naturally I'm looking for the beautiful weepy blue form.

Thanks,

Allan

Comments (32)

• pineresin
    17 years ago

What do you want it for? - note that in Kansas City, it is a greenhouse plant. The 'beautiful weepy blue form' is only hardy to zone 9.

Resin

• dcsteg
    17 years ago

To answer your question, Stanley & Sons Nursery is one source for it. He says it's good to zone 8. They also sell Cupressus cashmeriana 'Fernside' which is good to go for Zone 5.

Dave

• eukaryote
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Why do I want it? I want to loooove it! Really though, I have a small greenhouse, which keeps me relatively sane living in a not so gentle climate. (If compulsively acquiring plants can be considered sane.)
    Regarding Stanley & Sons, I thought they were only wholesale. I'll have to take another look at their site.
    Thanks,
    Allan

• pineresin
    17 years ago

"They also sell Cupressus cashmeriana 'Fernside' which is good to go for Zone 5"

What's the evidence for that?

Stanley & Sons' claim for zone 8 hardiness applies to the more recent high altitude introductions from Bhutan (dark green, less pendulous), but not to the blue weeping form.

Resin

• pineresin
    17 years ago

Looked up 'Fernside', it is a cultivar of C. torulosa, not C. cashmeriana; listed here as zone 7, and even that is pushing it (C. torulosa in general is zone 8). Also it is {{gwi:628813}} (as typical for C. torulosa), not blue.

Resin

• dcsteg
    17 years ago

I answered Allan's question, you didn't. I just gave him a source to buy and Larrys specifications concerning this conifer. I also gave him another choice in case he is interested because of zone requirements. If you disagree with Larrys comments take it up with him.

"Stanley & Sons claim for zone 8 hardiness applies to a more recent high altitude introduction but not the true blue weeping form."
    What evidence is there for that? Did you talk to Larry to verify what he is selling. I think not. Sometimes I think you just hang around the Garden Web to find fault with other members comments. We should rename the Garden Web Resin Web because you command so much attention and take up so much space correcting members comments. We already know how well versed you are in the conifer field but you don't have to keep cramming it down our throats
    Dave

• tcharles26
    17 years ago

I'm sure that Resin was just trying to be helpful when he asked why this person was looking for it. Its not like the poster is trying to grow a plant that's almost hardy enough to make it. Zone 9 is sub tropical. Think South Texas, Florida etc.

And truthfully, calling it a greenhouse plant in zone 6 is an understament. And I say that because I looked it up and saw ultimate height in the 40-60 foot range. At that point, it's not a greenhouse, It's an indoor arboretum.

On the other hand, more power to you. I looked at some photos and its very nice. It would be hard to part with when it could no longer be protected in the greehouse, but nice to look at in the interim.

• eukaryote
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I grow a lot of my plants potted so that I can control their size to a degree. They may end up being quasi-bonsai eventually, but it's the only way to grow a lot of things far from their native climates. Nevertheless, I appreciate all advice and help, especially when it's free. ;)

• nothotsuga
    17 years ago

What evidence is there for that? Did you talk to Larry to verify what he is selling. I think not. Sometimes I think you just hang around the Garden Web to find fault with other members comments. We should rename the Garden Web Resin Web because you command so much attention and take up so much space correcting members comments. We already know how well versed you are in the conifer field but you don't have to keep cramming it down our throats
    Dave

Resin is absolutely correct. Don't you want to know some truth about conifers? Don't you want to learn something?

What Stanley and Sons is selling is on his website. He is listing Cupressus cashmeriana and torulosa as zone 8 and cultivars of C.cashmeriana as zone 5, which is a quite wrong information. It is no need to call "Larry" to know that. If you know one Cupressus tree (cultivated or not) growing with temperatures going down -30°, please inform us.

It is a known fact that nurseries are quite usually pushing the zones. Guess why!

You should keep for yourself what you think about Resin. In this instance you make yourself look very jealous and not wanting to learn. I am sure most people here are glad to get reliable information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curpessus Listing at S&S

• torreya-2006
    17 years ago

A few cupressus on that list are named by Silba

• Fledgeling_
    17 years ago

Resin has always been very polite and willing to share his vast knowledge with the rest of us. I am thankfull to have someone so knowledgeable to inform me about conifers.

• nothotsuga
    17 years ago

A few cupressus on that list are named by Silba

Nothing serious.

Silba put all Chamaecyparis into Cupressus...

Cupressus lawsoniana
    Cupressus thyoides
    Cupressus obtusa

Nothing serious.

Nurseries will not pick those new combinations, only new names to increase the list.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

For the form you want (ignore the species name used, it's a synonym - in fact, the Hillier Manual quote used is from that publication's description of C. cashmeriana)...

Here is a link that might be useful: forestfarm - weeping Kashmir cypress

• nothotsuga
    17 years ago

Ok, let's fix some things about a few items of the online catalogue of Forestfarm:

The plant labelled Cupressus torulosa is a Cupressus glabra or lusitanica. Further C.torulosa does not grow in Bhutan. The Bhutan Cypress is C.cashmeriana.

http://forestfarm.com/search/closeup.asp?PlantID=cuto130

Cupressus pseudohimalaica (a Silba name) is C.cashmeriana (see link given by bboy) or Bhutan Cypress.

Same with Cupressus darjeelingensis (a Silba name) : C.glabra or lusitanica. "Bengal Kashmir Cypress" has no meaning for a cultivated tree in India.

http://forestfarm.com/search/closeup.asp?PlantID=cuda104

• dcsteg
    17 years ago

Nothotsuga,

Nothing serious.

Who said anything about Cupressus trees growing in a -30 enviroment. What page are you on?

Nothing serious.

Maybe you should keep to yourself what you think of me. Why would I be jealous of Resin. We are on two different playing fields. I don't even want to go wnere he is and I am sure the same applies in reverse. I am sure we can settle our differances in private emails.

Dave

• pineresin
    17 years ago

Hi Dave,

"Who said anything about Cupressus trees growing in a -30 enviroment"

Stanley and Sons do, by claiming it is zone 5 hardy. Even an average winter in zone 5 drops to between -23° to -29°, and a severe winter there could drop to more like -40°.

Resin

• dcsteg
    17 years ago

Hello Resin,

USDA hardinss map shows zone 5a at -15 to -20F. You would have to go to Z4a to achieve -40F. I have lived in zone 5 for 67 years and the lowest it has ever been is -15F.

Dave

• Fledgeling_
    17 years ago

°C I think, not F

• Fledgeling_
    17 years ago

Err, what resin was refering to.

• dcsteg
    17 years ago

-23 C =9.4 F. -40 C= -40 F. All my Cupressus have seen -9 F with no issues. A prolonged cold spell of -9 could spell trouble but that will never happen. A -40 C. or F. has never happened and never will in Z5 U.S.A.

Most people who want out of zone conifers are going to buy them regardless of what the experienced collector thinks. Let them do it if that's what they want. I asked a local nurseryman why he sells Zone 6 & 7 conifers in Z 5. His answer is people want them even tho they might not make it and he tells them that. They still buy. I have seen it time and time again as I work at a local nursery part time. I do the same but I am careful of placement to insure their survival to a point. If I lose them so what. Chances are I won't. So far so good.

Resin you have got to understand Celsius is just not used in the USA. It has just never caught on for the general population. There have been some attempts to convert but the general population has never accepted it. Everything is listed in Fahrenheit and that is what we use. We don't carry our little conversion charts around for celsius. It doesn't fit in with the way we do things so don't be so critical. Let's just go with the flow because we never will change and you are not going to either. Fahrenheit for the USA and Celsius for everybody else.

Dave

• conifers
    17 years ago

Dave, I'm one of your best buds. I think this situation needs some toning down.

Myself, I've done a lot of assumption in the past, and it always taught me something. That "maybe" the guy/gal was buying the tree as even a gift! I forget still too.

This is nothing.

A friend once told me while sitting in my living room, an old man with mental problems such as myownself, an old truthful man with glistening eyes and big smiles - "if it isn't coming from my mouth, I don't want to listen." Then he chuckled, then he smiled. .. Truth! I found it to be. Then again I'm scared of people, I'm also scared and tired of people who look down at me, and they don't even know me. That's the shame that life brings to me with frequency as having mental disorders. That's why I share my "words" here on GW. Nobody to look at me. I'm the coward, but I'm also the bottom of everyones shoe, that piece of gum that accumulates more gum... eventually so that they have more height to stare at me and 'allow' themselves to, "look down at me."

I gave up man.

I'd recommend it to anyone else as well. Anyone without a true heart, for their words or designation of those words.

Anyone I owe an email to for having gone intentfully out of the way to tee you off, you can guarantee you'll be getting an email right now, and there's only one person. I still regret my actions that day. Maybe putting an end to this discussion and revealing that I intentfully and knowingly tried to irritate someone will reveal that I too had no business doing such. Should I tell you guys who it is? I don't know. But I would...

Dax

• torreya-2006
    17 years ago

I use celsius and fahrenheit for this site but kelvin
    is never used.

• yugoslava
    17 years ago

Canada uses Celsius, we are just north of you.

• smalljaw
    17 years ago

What a soap opera ? "What do you want it for " b/c I fing want it , that's why ! yee haw !

• nothotsuga_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

All my Cupressus have seen -9 F with no issues.

Will you be so kind as to tell us which species of Cupressus?
    Maybe you have some photos to share?

• dcsteg
    16 years ago

I would have thought this thread was history. Not a good thing. I am not proud of it anyway. I suppose all of us were suffering cabin fever considering the time of year.

Species is glabra. You can go to the ACS Conifer Database. The conifers are posted there.

Dave

• nothotsuga
    16 years ago

Thanks!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Allen, I understand perfectly why you want this tree, I have loved and wanted on for about 30 years! Don't understand why they are such a challenge to locate. I only saw one, once, in a Castro Valley CA Japanese Nursery. Couldn't aford to purchase that day, but I made note of the name as they ID the tree, but all these years, search has not shown me that tree I want. It was tagged Cashmeriana Cypress. Tall, slender, very long weeping blueish feathers of needles. Beautiful form and color and I Still Want One before I die!!!!!
    Did you ever find a source? The only one I know of is Forest Farm.
    Hope we both find one to love and show others what a beauty it truely is! Please email me if you have any sources or ideas. Bodica

• vancleaveterry
    15 years ago

Once again, my usual question:

Would this (Weeping Kashmir cypress) grow in the hot humid south east, zone nine?

Thank you.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I have no clue, just assuming since I saw it in a very honorable Japanese family nursery that it would do fine in the CA East Bay Area. I am terribly confused about "zones" that made sense years ago. With all the unpredictable weather changes in the last several years, I wish I could find clearer guidelines. For example, in the CA East Bay Area, the micro climates are dramatically different. I live atop a ridge so rarely will the local weather be accurate for us. If a plant is zoned 5 to 8, I wish they would discribe why zone 9 would or would not work. Many plant are adaptable, with a bit of care. Do you think the zones discribed could be updated and better discribed for borderline adaptation?

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Yep, there's a lot of texts where the cited zone survival ratings are based on performance in continental climates with a very large winter-summer difference (as in the eastern US), i.e., where zone 9 has very hot summers, too hot for many conifers.

In oceanic climates (as in the US west coast, and Britain) the winter-summer difference is small, so areas with zone 9 winters don't have very hot summers, and many conifers which don't survive in the eastern US will thrive.

Resin

• agniss
    5 years ago

Back to the subject: I bought a Cupressus cashmeriana from Cistus Design Nursery in Portland OR last weekend. There were more of them. I only bought one. About 5 ft high, two gallon pot.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz