Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Gold cultivars? Need info on size and appearance

Posted by parviflorafan 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 12:49

I looked up Pinus sylvestris cultivars "Gold Medal" and "Nisbet's Gold". We have "Gold Coin" and really love it. Want to add one more cultivar.

1. Does "Gold Medal" remain yellow in summer as Talon Buchholz's site says?

2. What are the growth rates of these 2 compared to "Gold Coin". I got different rates on different websites. I appreciate input from zone 5 growers growing these in full sun.

3. Is "Nisbet's Gold" denser than "Gold Medal" and "Gold Coin" ?

Thanks very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Gold cultivars? Need info on size and appearance

in my ... z5 MI ..... OPINION ... one winter gold sylvestris is basically going to look and act like any other such ... [we arent talking about dwarf... etc]

and i would discount anything someone in the PNW says otherwise ... as their growing climate is so different than mine... i dont recall where you are in z5 ... not that they arent spot on on how they grow for them ....

unless you have significant acreage.. i dont know why you would want two.. with all your other options out there...

in my yard.. gold coin and aurea... are near look alikes .... as to color.. growth rate.. form ... etc ... dont have the others you mention ...

ken

o

Thanks Ken,

We live in upstate New York. I agree that the color will probably be similar. Just wondering if the trees look different or have different growht rates. Love the teal/sea green summer color - nice contrast to the blues, greens and yellows.

o

how different can any group of sylvestis be???

other than annual growth rate ...

i would look.. in pix.. to prior leader growth.. to compare such ... keeping in mind.. that producers who grow in pots can and do hyper-fertilize due to the system they deal with ....

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here