Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

Where can I buy Pitch Pines?

edlincoln
10 years ago

Where can I buy pitch pines?

I need a salt tolerant conifer, and Austrian Pines have been hit by a disease in my area. No one seems to actually sell pitch pines.

Ideally I'd want a nursery in New England, but a mail order place might work.

Comments (6)

• spruceman
    10 years ago

edlincoln:

Forest Service, Tennessee Department of Agriculture. Minimum quantity 25, $18.

Here is a link that might be useful: seedling catalog order form

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i havent followed all your posts in this regard .. so forgive me if this is repetitive .... but ...

if you have a severe pine issue.. i dont understand why you are insistent on replacing the dying ones.. with more pines ...

have you.. or are you.. considering diversification of your planting ... outside of Pinus ...

that way.. should the next set of pines develop problems.. then you will have other plants.. that might survive...

part of your problem.. might be your monoculture ...

that and i bet your parents are insisting on such ... lol

good luck.. you are a good son ....

ken

• jimbobfeeny
    10 years ago

Not all pines are the same. Pitch pine will grow where most other pines won't - Including salty ocean shores.

Ken - Open google & type in the bar, "Pinus rigida" and "Pine Barren". Don't judge a plant until you have the facts - Your assumption is like assuming that since American Chestnut has been killed by blight, you can't grow ANY chestnuts - Hasty generalization.

Don't know where you could buy them - They are a decent tree, though - I've got a few from the New Hampshire State Forest Nursery that are doing excellently, planted in a drought with no supplemental watering.

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In principle I kind of agree with you about monoculture, and am planting other things. I've also been planting Beach Plum, holly, and paw paw. (OK, the last one is actually not ideal for the site due to wind issues, but I like the idea of a native fruit tree.) However, evergreens serve a useful function as a windbreak and privacy screen in the winter, and I kind of miss the pines that were there when I was a kid. White Pine seem completely unaffected by the local diseases, and and one neighbor is planting them along the property line. Unfortunately, the web says White Pine isn't the ideal tree to withstand wind and salt spray, and I'm a little worried about the dangers of disease and monoculture. I did think of using Blue Spruce or White Spruce instead of pine, but supposedly they are a little less salt tolerant.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

jimbob.. i made no assumption about pitch pine

i simply stated that diversifying a planting is ALWAYS a plus ... it really has nothing to do with the choices made ... other than they not all be the exact same thing ...

and it seems ed understands that ... and.. at a min.. is taking that into consideration ...

and that was my only purpose ...

ken

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Sheffield's Seeds sells seed - if you feel like going that route.