Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gamekeeper_gw

Bob Stewart (Arrowhead Alpine Nusery)

gamekeeper
12 years ago

Bob Stewart a great plantsman and conifer collector has passed with colon cancer at 58.He was a great guy to me with lengthy chats ,a wealth of knowledge.

Comments (13)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

I ordered a few things from him, especially early on. Always got a kick out of his catalog comments.

Thanks for letting us know.

tj

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Yes I especially like his comments of Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Red Star'.

Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

not what i would call a close personal friend...

but i have been so bummed since i heard about this a couple weeks ago ...

his enthusiasm.. in whatever the topic of conversation was ... was inspiring ... much like the link below ...

all my best wished to Brigitta and their son Ender ...

RIP, Bob

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Not to be a stickler but didn't he pass away last year at the age of 59?

I love it when folks can be serious yet humorous about plant descriptions. Don't use that glossy marketing hoopla just tell it how you see.

Best wishes to his family.

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Very sad news indeed. He has a great catalog with such interesting comments about plants. I hope he is in a better place and no longer suffering.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

He had a good journey & fun life.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Aerohead Alpine Nursery is pretty close to Gee Farms.
    Gary Gee, Henk and I also visited Brigitta.
    Unfortunately she didn't make a new catalogue for this season and she is hoping that customers will order via the website.

We also took a look in her garden and till my surprise I rediscovered there the old Abies alba 'Tortuosa'.
    At first sight I was pretty sure that it was this cultivar but a very old tag in the centre confirmed my thought :0)
    In 99% of all cases the 'Tortuosa' in the U.S. is in reality 'Green Spiral'...

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

'Green Spiral' name was coined in 1979 in Britain for the plant being distributed in America mistakenly as 'Tortuosa'. So maybe the US trade has pretty much not ever picked up on the correction.

Due to cultivariance I have to wonder if it is really all the same plant, invigorated by seedling rootstocks part of the time or varying in mature habit for other reasons. If so it would not be the only cultivar that can either remain a bush or push up into tree shape and stature.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

You've to see both plants with your own eyes to notice the differences.
    'Green Spiral' will grow into a tree and will make a strong leader.
    'Tortuosa' will grow more into a schrub form with several smaller leaders which doesn't show strong growth...

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Again, other plants that are actually a single cultivar do the same thing also. It's called cultivariance. So that by itself is not infallible proof of genetic distinction. Have no idea what the actual situation is in this instance, no interest in (or basis for) pushing one or the other as the true case.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

seriously dudes .. hijacking a eulogy???

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

We discussed this before.
    There's a huge difference between those cultivars!
    The thing is that most plants in the U.S. which are labeled as 'Tortuosa' are in reality 'Green Spiral'...
    I saw a true 'Tortuosa' at Arrowhead's which is very rare.
    Go away with your cultivariance!

• Mark Wasserman
    12 years ago

Bob is gone.

And winter still sucks.

May he rest in peace.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio