Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Thuja plicata in a summer dry climate

rosefolly
11 years ago

In my back yard there is a 25 to 30 foot Western red cedar planted by the previous owner some time after 1940 and before 1970. It receives no supplemental water, and since I have no lawn I know it's not borrowing water from anywhere else. Our average rainfall is 15" all falling in the winter months, with a range of about 6" (rarely) up to about 22". I've heard so much about this tree requiring lots of water that I actually took a cutting in to the nursery for verification of the ID, thinking I must have it wrong because I knew it was getting by on natural rainfall alone. The nursery man told me that no, it was indeed a Thuja plicata, and that he has one in his back yard also not receiving supplemental water. He said that when mature these trees do not need so much water.

Okay, here is my question. I'm planting a woodland of mostly native trees (one deodar cedar being the exception) on an unfenced slope outside my garden. I would love to include a western red cedar. It is a handsome tree and would thrive in a semi-shady spot I have picked out for it. I know I will have to cage it to protect it from deer browsing until it gets bigger. Does anyone have any idea how long I will need to give it supplemental water? I certainly don't mind doing it for a year or two or even three, but I'd rather not do that any longer.

Rosefolly

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting