Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benjamin85

Sequoiadendron 'Pendulum' vs. 'Barabits Requiem'

benjamin85
14 years ago

Hy,

do you know whats the main difference between those cultivars?

Benjamin

Comments (18)

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Barabit's Requiem':
    "This selection of weeping Sequoia is not as strict as 'Pendulum' and the foliage is coarser, giving what we consider to be a more pleasing appearance to the whole tree. It grows about 1' per year."

Fincham, Robert L., Fincham Diane L. - Coenosium Gardens ÂCatalog of Rare Plants For The Discriminating PersonÂ; Catalog Number Eighteen, January 2007.

• deanforestglade
    14 years ago

I have grown both of these cultivars in my garden: they could not be confused with each other. Pendulum is a very strict weeper, with the branches hanging vertically down the trunk...and frequently seen as grotesque specimen, gowing in every direction,(unless staked). Barabit's Requiem is much more uniform and predictable, with the branches flaring out at the ends. Mine did not require staking to grow upright. Both were quite fast growing...Barabit's Requiem being the faster of the two, giving at least 18" after a few years.

• benjamin85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, so 'Barabit's Requiem' is the plant i am looking for, because i don't want to stake the tree and don't want to have an 'Arching-down-monster' some day.

Benjamin

• benjamin85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hy,
    i found an interesting site, where it is mentioned that 'Barabit's Requiem will develop the same massive trunk like the species.
    Is that true?

Benjamin

Here is a link that might be useful: Sequoiadendron 'Barabit's Requiem'

• amidheliot
    14 years ago

Benjamin-

The site you linked was from Bob Fincham, If that is what he says, you can bet it's true... I am not familiar with 'Barabit's Requiem', but have 2 'Pendulum'. One is about 7' tall, and the other is a 2 yr. graft, only about 10" or so. I love the tree and it's uniqueness.

We'll see how they do in my climate, the 2 yr. is buried under about a couple feet of snow right now.

Eliot

• benjamin85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, i am just questioning myself how Bob Finchman can be sure that the trunk will become so massive like the species?
    As far as i know 'Pendulum' is a fairly old cultivar from 1860 or so.
    What about 'Barabits Requiem'?

Benjamin

• zsolti_hungary
    14 years ago

Well, 'Barabits Requiem' was selected as a seedling of a 'Pendulum' around 1972. Dr. Barabits introduced 115 cultivars during his life and some others were published by his sons after his dead. He was a talent and had a great work in forestry and gardening. This cultivar became famous fast such as ab. alba 'Barabits Star', ab. nord. 'Barabits Compact', Cham. laws. 'Globus', 'Mini Nova', Crypt. jap. 'Barabits Gold', Picea abies 'Tompa', Picea pungens 'Edith' /it is the name of her wife/, Thuja occ. 'Spiralis Mini'... etc. The list is long, if you are interested I can send it to you.
    'Barabits Requiem' is a nice plant which becomes more attractive by years thanks to the massive trunk.

Zsolti

• benjamin85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hy Zsolti,
    do you have an 'Barabits Requiem' by yourself?
    How massive was the trunk you have seen? Do you have any pictures?
    I already have a list of Barabits cultivars, not complete but enough however. Thanks anyway.

I just would like to know how far away from the house should it be planted? Are 2 meters okay? I hope its not getting as high and as wide at the base like the species.

Benjamin

• zsolti_hungary
    14 years ago

Hey Benjamin,
    I don't have a 'Barabits requiem' yet... but the net is full of pictures...
    I think 2 meters is almost okay, but as an architect I must say you have to be more cautious. You have to protect the groundworks of that house. The root system of a sequoia can be wide. A big tree next to a building is never good.
    If I were you I would plant it as a solitaire in full sun. I'm sure I will plant mine this way.

I hope I helped you.

Zsolti

• benjamin85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hy Zsolti,

yes you helped me good, thanks.
    I think Sequoiadendron next to the house is not the best idea:-). They just can become too wide at the base...

But what about Sequoia sempervirens cultivars? They will not get that wide at the base (in comparison with giganteum:-). Did you know that there is also a pendulous form called 'Loma Prieta Spike'?
    I will start a new thread in this forum, where you can get more information.

Benjamin

• wbgarden
    14 years ago

Hi, some winter pictures of my sequoiodendrons...
    Pendula
    {{gwi:633395}}

Requiem
    {{gwi:633396}}
    Jan wbgarden

Here is a link that might be useful: wbgarden.com

• wbgarden
    14 years ago

Sequoiadendron.., sorry
    Jan wbgarden

{{gwi:633397}}

Here is a link that might be useful: wbgarden

• bobfincham
    14 years ago

Hello Zsolti,

I would be interested in more information on Mr. Barabits cultivars> If you are able to email one without too much difficulty.

bobfincham@mashell.com

I saw a number of his original plants when Mesterhazy Zsolt and I visited with him a number of years ago. I always felt it was a tragedy that he spent the prime of his life behind the iron curtain and respected what he was able to accomplish when non-food plant production was frowned upon.

My 3 'Barabits Requiem' are all over 6 meters tall with species typical trunks. Sapsuckers are constantly after them and although they often kill the 'Pendulum' selection with their holes around its slender trunk, they have little effect on these.

Bob

• henksgarden
    14 years ago

Hello Zsolti

Can you send me the list off all plants from Dr Barabits ?

henksgarden@planet.nl

Thanks
    Henk

• kleckas
    14 years ago

Hi Zsolti

>Can you send me the list off all plants from Dr Barabits ?

Also to my address: arunas@ibs.lt

Thanks in advance - Kleckas

P.S. It is not so far (I mean - Lithuania)

• Mike Larkin
    10 years ago

I am in zone 6-6a and never had luck with Pendulum, but see that 'Barabits Requiem' is listed as zone 6.
    Has anyone been growing 'Barabits Requiem' in zone 6 and how has it done? Looks liike full sun and well drained soil. Any other location recommendations.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Jan I can't say that I really pine (sorry!) for snow, but that photo of the Sequoiadendron wearing the snow frosting is so lovely that I almost wish it snowed here....once in a while....

Sara

• mesterhazypinetum
    10 years ago

Mr. Barabits passed away in 2003. Our visit with Bob happened in 1999.
    Some years earlier I published his Life Monument with 208 conifer cultivars. Some 30-40 of his selections came abroad, these are today well known conifer cultivars. Krussmann, Horstmann, Clément Anthoine, some dutch nurseries as Bomer, Nijnatten also introduced some of his conifers. All others are lost - 50 Thuja occidentalis dwarf seedlings and brooms, 50 Picea pungens brooms, which we saw there with Bob in 99.

Zsolt
    conifertreasury.org

Here is a link that might be useful: Barabits Elemer Life Monument 1995

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County