Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formandfoliage

Iseli Nursery

Some shots of our visit in September. Hard to add much that hasn't been seen before, between Ed Remsrola's blog and Iseli's own site and calendar. But we had to make the trek! For those of you that have not visited, it really is sensory overload, and it was the only spot on our trip where no one offered to show us around, so we were left to try to process it ourselves. It was a misty (ok, rainy) day and the colors really did pop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iseli Nursery

Comments (11)

• arceesmith
    11 years ago

I am sorry that I missed you ladies that day, but it looks as though you found your way around the garden. :^)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We did!

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

What beautiful photographs you took while touring through Iseli Nursery. I hope to visit that nursery one of these days. They sure have done a beautiful job putting together form, color and texture of conifers. It looks amazing.

Thank you for sharing.

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Wonderful! I get sensory overload just from looking at the pictures. I can't imagine what it felt like to be there. I would probably embarrass myself by giggling to myself in a euphoric trance and then pass out from giddiness. =)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

superb pix compendium .... and observational comments ... its always interesting to get the impression of the visitor ....

i cant tell you.. how much i prefer the perfectly edged and manicured grass walkways.. to the pic following with stone and border ... [kinda somewhere in the middle of the pix]

the undulating green swath is so much more relaxing the eye ... IMHO ... it leads the eye.. and invites me in

the stone walkway.. makes me want to focus on my feet and make sure i dont trip over something laying in the stone ... or a wobbly stepping stone ...

obviously.. to each his/her own ...

but for me.. one is a neutral background .. and the other makes my eyes hurt in its visual complexity ...

thx for the pix ...

ken

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

I've seen a lot of pictures of the Iseli complex, but I have never seen it captured so well.

Thank you,

Jon

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Slightly agree, Ken. Not huge on the stepping stone walkway, but more because of the border. Now the walkway in the first pic is phenomenal.

Great take on the nursery. I always enjoy your posts. If you ever get a chance, you should see if you can make your way to Silver Star Vinery.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, all. It was a great visit and quite the road trip (Coenosium, Iseli, Buchholz, Oregon Garden and several private gardens). Ken, I agree on the grass - even a strip of turfgrass is to me the perfect 'negative space' to sooth the eye and showcase the plants. However, we can't grow it here so I am stuck with mulch, rock, gravel, pavers, compost, etc. In a display garden they need to use different material so that visitors from all over can see what the plants will look like when we get them into our own environment. Every time I go to England I come back wishing that I had grass (and 500 year old stone walls!)
    Sara
    ps looked up location of Silver Star - no plans to be around there right now, but I'll keep it in mind in case we do!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

dont get me wrong.. either is fine ..

i was just stating my preference.. as in having a discussion ... shooting the BS one might say ...

never really thought of it as a negative space.. all those fancy CA words.. lol ... but i do like the idea of an area to rest the eye.. before the onslaught of the next spot to focus interest ...

maybe if jackson pollack added some big white and black 'empty' spots.. i would have appreciated his 'style' ... lol .. [art-schmart.. my kids made the same mess with peas and poop on the kitchen floor once ... but she didnt bother to grind out her cigarettes on her masterpiece] ... but perhaps i digress ... ya think .. lol ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:633950}}

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Stunny photography as usual. Not sure what it is but I like that style.

Edit: Hmm...Stunny should be stunning!

This post was edited by whaas on Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 23:01

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thx Will!

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling