Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Online nursery review guide w/ photos

Hello fellow conifer enthusiasts.

After seeing repeated posts regarding quality of online nurseries and which people preferred, I've finally decided to compile and then share my experiences with various online nurseries. Since it's the dead of winter I'll be posting a few personal reviews on nursuries each week leading up to Spring in hopes of both helping out new conifer enthusiasts make decisions but also offering perhaps new sources for experienced collectors.

A very quick backround about myself since this post may get pretty long, I've only been 'collecting' conifers for about fourteen months now, and I've only been a gardener for about two years, so my experience in general is limited. That said, I have a pretty nasty case of OCD and generally when I get into a hobby - I go berserk. I've long been a 'fan' of online shopping, regularly using Ebay and other large sources to buy things and my experiences have usually been very pleasant and often rewarding. While fourteen months seems like a pretty small sample size, I've probably bought more conifers in fourteen months then the majority of *sane* collectors buy in fourteen years. At this point I've bought around 400 different conifer cultivars and about 1150 in total from over a dozen sources. Some sources I have bought *hundreds* of different plants from, so my experience in those in particular should be virtually identical to your experience with them. I don't proclaim to be a conifer expert by any means but I figure I can at least share one resource I have with others, and that's my experiences buying them.

Especially if you live far from large cities, the online 'nursery' is by far your best option for acquiring rare and unusual things, and in this case conifers. There are three general 'pitfalls' to buying conifers online.

First, you have to buy plants that usually you can't 'see'. You often don't get a stock photo or very discriptive information on the plant you're buying, usually it's just by plant size, age of graft or a general pot size(4", gallon, 5-gallon, etc.). This can be quite a hurdle to any new collector looking at prices upwards of $50 or more for a single plant. It's scary, especially in today's economic times. My reviews should give you a much better idea on what sizes each nursery offers.

Second, you have to pay shipping. Because of this, usually you're going to end up buying very small plants, 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd or 4th year grafts, under a foot tall and wide and usually not displaying many of the characteristics that their mature form will offer. Obviously this can be another cause for hesistation as well.

Lastly, since you're buying online, it's very possible you'll buy plants that won't be happy where you live. Typically plants are labeled with a 'cold hardiness' zone that most gardeners are familiar with, usually from zone 2(way North, think the movie 'Fargo'), to zone 9/10(Florida/Southern California). The problem here is that some plants won't like the humidity out in the Midwest and East Coast while others won't like the heat of Atlanta. If you're going to buy a $40 plant online, especially a young one and try to grow it in your garden, I'd recommend doing a LOT of homework to make sure it will survive. Besides the fiscal loss, it can be pretty devastating to you when your five year old, beautiful new conifer starts to die.

Keeping all that in mind, I'll now break down the rule-set for my reviews, so you can make the most of them and understand what everything I am writing here means.

For each nursery I review, I'll try and write where they are located, include a link and detail how 'large' they are. Some are just gigantic while others are Mom and Pop shows out of their backyard.

After that, I will rate each nursery in four catagories. One star(*) being poor or below average, two stars(**) describing an average rating, three stars(***) accounting for a positive attribute and four stars(****) describing a near flawless rating. I'll also reserve five star ratings for companies who are head and shoulders above the others in any particular area.

The catagories I'm using are:

Inventory: How large a variety of conifers the particular nursery offers. Basically how many different cultivars(and different sizes) the nursery offers. Extra credit here also for nurseries offering the very rare and choice plants that are scarsely seen.

Stock quality and size: Some nurseries offer gorgeous plants in perfect healthy, others are clearly neglected some, often just from growing in crowded situations and lacking the right amount of sunlight. Also nurseries offer very different sizes to their stock. I've purchased from different nursuries and received 'gallon sized pots' that were anywhere from a one year graft to a spilling over, root bound 6-7 year graft.

Customer service/General experience: Many nurseries are ran like businesses, some are run like families. You'll notice if you buy from multiple sources that some are REALLY trying to make you happy in order to have a lifelong customer while others just tend you treat you with indifference. Also, some companies will gladly replace a conifer if there is a problem while others can be hard to get a hold of and/or won't replace anything if you lose plants.

Value: This rating, which most people will probably consider most important given the economic times, will be my best attempt at rating nursuries on 'bang for your buck'. This means that I won't neccesarily give the cheapest sites top rating, but rather the overall value, whether they offer nice plants at great prices or new plants at unbeatable prices. Some retailers do offer very young plants at very high prices and will likely score poorly in this catagory.

I am not going to rate the nursuries overall, as I feel almost every nursery I have used has redeeming qualities. I'll leave that to you based on your priorities and fiscal situation.

One last critical note. At the beginning of each nursery I'll also describe how much experience I have with them. Some sources I have only placed one or two orders with while others I have bought hundreds of plants from. This is important for 'sample size' as it's possible experiences I've had with nurseries where I only ordered once from will be only a sneak peak at what these nurseries have to offer. Please keep that in mind if you read on.

Without further ado, I'll post the first two reviews. I've randomly drawn all the nurseries, so they are being reviewed in no particular order.

BLOOMRIVER GARDENS

An Oregon-based nursery, they offer many rare plants and have a nice selection of conifers. They've been selling conifers for almost thirty years now and looks to be a small family business.

www.bloomriver.com

My own experience with them is fairly expensive. I've purchased maybe twenty five or thirty plants from them and 4-5 different orders.

Inventory: ***

With over a hundred different cultivars and numerous sizes often of each, Bloom River has a nice selection of conifers both rare and common.

Stock quality/size: ****

Bloom river has great stock ranging from 4" pots to 5-gallon trees and larger. I have ordered plants from them that were easily ten years old and with very little root problems. Usually their conifers are stunning or very attractive right out of the box. There also aren't to many places that offer such large stock, even if it is quite expensive(several of their plants are $300 or more).

Customer service/General experience: ****

Bloom river has excellent customer service, both readily answering emails and phone calls and packing/shipping plants flawlessly. I cannot account for their replacement policies as I have never lost a plant from them or had a problem.

Value: **

While their stock is very nice and often larger then many other nurseries, their prices are steep. Certainly a source to use if you are the type of person who doesn't like to plant a little baby tree or if you're fiscally comfortable.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Arizona Glauca Compacta' $45

{{gwi:634184}}

Cedrus deodara 'Divinely Blue' $35

{{gwi:634185}}

Picea sitchensis 'Papoose' $75

{{gwi:634186}}

GREER GARDENS

With almost forty years(40!) of shipping plants and a massive fourteen acre nursery, Greer Gardens offers a wide variety of plants and many types of conifers. They are located near Eugene, Oregon.

www.greergardens.com

I just recently received my first plants from Greer gardens, so my experience is limited but I did place a nice sized order spanning several sizes and types.

Offering many very large plants(one conifer I ordered was nearly six feet tall), and a few hundred different varieties, Greer gardens has a very nice overall selection. They also have a few plants I've seen nowhere else.

Stock quality and size: ***

The quality of the plants I received through Greer spanned from 'perfect' form to oddly growing peculiarities. See the included pictures for further details. All plants came partially bare-root to save on shipping but every plant seemed very healthy. Greer gardens offers some of the largest trees I've seen available online. Certainly a nursery to look at if you like 'instant gratification'.

Customer service/General experience: **

Greer gardens seems to be a family business and perhaps because of that, are a very busy business. It took two or three emails to get a response regarding the order and you have to send a check or give your credit card information via the phone before placing an order. That said, shipping was great(and compact) and everything looked fine with very few broken branches or other problems. They seem to have an acceptable return policy.

Greer gardens is similar to Bloom River garden in that they offer nice, large stock but at a hefty price. Again, certainly if you want larger plants, this is a great nursery choice. It does appear that they sell some Stanley & Sons stock with a years growth on it.

Picea pungens 'Baby Blue Eyes' $59.95

{{gwi:634190}}

Cedrus deodara 'Compte de Dijon' $34.95

{{gwi:634192}}

Cedrus deodara 'Cream Puff' $45.95

{{gwi:634194}}

More soon!

Also, please feel free to post your own reviews here, it would be welcomed and a valuable resource for people shopping around.

Will

Comments (24)

• tunilla
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Will. You are a busy bee!!! It will be interesting for Conifer-fans here in Europe to see what the American Conifernursery-scene is like.Waiting for the next installment... T.

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

Question about shipping - is it safe to ship conifers in winter? A lot of nurseries will ship maples bare-root in the winter to save on shipping costs. What about conifers?

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

K4, I've seen conifers shipped bareroot in winter before. I think as long as the plants are dormant and they keep the majority of the 'roots' intact, it's OK, especially if kept damp during transit. I've heard some people on these forums actually say they prefer it - that they more or less break down most pots and B&B conifers to make sure their roots aren't tangled to death. You may want to make a seperate post though to get more expert opinions, mine is probably no better then yours!

Will

• ic_conifers
    15 years ago

Do you want input for conifer-only nurseries exclusively, or also place that sell plants in addition to conifers?

I had great experiences with both Dave's Nursery in New Jersey and Klehm's Song Sparrow in Wisconsin. Neither of them are conifer-only, though. I would give each the highest ratings for plant quality/health, customer service, and shipping methods. The plants were packed better than fine china!

Elizabeth

• plants77
    15 years ago

RE: Cedrus deodara 'Compte de Dijon'
    I think that is a cedrus libani cultivar.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I believe you're right plants77, Cedrus libani 'Compte de Dijon' I appreciate the correction - now to check my poor plant label!

Elizabeth, I'm fine with any reviews here for companies that sell conifers or other plants. I only ask that people keep the reviews here to their experiences buying conifers from these companies. I could say I've bought great 'cone flowers' from Forest Farms, but many people here wouldn't care! lol

I think if we stick to honest unbiased reviews of conifer sources here, this can be a good resource for both the new conifer enthusiast as well as the veteran collector.

Others' input is very welcomed.

Will

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FORESTFARM

Forestfarm is a gigantic nursery offering a huge range of basically everything that can be grown in soil. Located in Oregon, they grow and sell some 5,000 plants from all over the world and have been doing business since 1974. Their conifer selection is pretty decent, offering hundreds of different conifers, many different hybrids and unusual varieties and also a good number of 'cultivar' conifers often sought after by readers of this forum.

I have placed numerous orders with them over the last year and a half.

www.forestfarm.com

If this was for all plants, it would be the rare five stars, but since these reviews focus on nurseries conifer selection, Forestfarm gets a slightly above average rating. They have several hundred different kinds of conifers covering the entire spectrum and offer up to three different sizes of them. Most conifers they sell tend to be 'tubes, or 1 year grafts, while there are many that sell in gallon sized pots as well. Occasionally they offer larger 5 gallon stock. Forestfarms does not offer much at all in the way of miniature conifers and mostly sells large dwarves and species plants.

Forestfarms offers nice sized plants but the best part is that their stock is remarkably healthy and often in picturesque growing shape. You can tell they have been in the business for so long - everything looks very nice.

Customer service/General experience: *****
    Forestfarm has an outstanding online ordering system, SUPER fast and SUPER safe shippng and they boast they will go out of their way to make sure customers are happy. I've never had a plant fail from them but their overall package of customer service is absolutely top rate.

This is the ultimate buying confidence here.

For the most part, Forestfarms' prices are right about average. Some plants seem quite expensive, while others seems a pretty nice deal. Their five gallon stock is usually impressive and often fairly inexpensive.

Anyone who gets very nervous about buying plants online should just order once with Forestfarms and see perfect service in action, then try some of the other nurseries out there.

Cedrus libani 'Sargentii' $35
    {{gwi:634195}}

Cedrus deodara 'White Imp' $35
    {{gwi:634196}}

PORTERHOWSE FARMS

Porterhowse farms is operated by Don Howse, a nurseryman who has been in the conifer business for some 30 years. Located in East Oregon, he works with R&R wholesale nurseries to offer the largest conifer selection I've seen online. Offering some 2,000 different conifers, Porterhowse seems to have pretty much every conifer you've ever heard of, and plenty you've probably never heard of as well.

www.porterhowse.com

Inventory: *****
    Porterhowse has a staggering inventory of available conifers including many that are grafted on to different rootstock for various advantages to cultivation. I myself found the hardest thing was narrowing down my orders to a half dozen plants when there were so many that interested me. If you can't find a plant and 'must have it', give Don an email. (don@porterhowse.com)

Porterhowse basically offers two sizes, 'tubes' and gallon pots. I've ordered about 15 gallon sized plants from them and the plants always seemed to be a good 2-3 years old, very healthy and well shaped. Their 'gallon' sized pots are the largest gallon sized pots I've encountered, perhaps a few inches deeper then most gallon pots.

Customer service/General experience: ***
    From what I can tell, Don lives in rural Oregon and more or less operates his nursery by himself. To place an order you'll need email Don to exchange credit card information or send payment via the mail. He then goes down the road a few miles to his 'wholesale partner' R&R Nursery and makes sure he can send your requests. This all takes a week or so, weather depending, but once your set, payment is made and shipping is BLAZING fast. For me, it was overnight. Don regularly checks his email and responds in a timely manner.

Porterhowse farms prices range from average, to quite pricey with some gallon plants running $50. Usually these are very rare or very slow growing cultivars and the price is a reflection on that. The old saying goes, "Nice things cost money".

Certainly if you're looking for that hard to find conifer, check out the availability datebase.

http://www.porterhowse.com/availability.php

Cedrus atlantica 'Silberspitz' $40
    {{gwi:634197}}

Cedrus altantica 'Saphire Nymph' $50 - A choice plant if ever there was one.
    {{gwi:634198}}

Cedrus atlantica 'Hilliers' HB' $40
    {{gwi:634199}}

Abies koreana 'Gait' -$40 - Quite hard to find online. Coenosiums is the only other source I know of.
    {{gwi:634200}}

Next week: Coenosium Gardens and ebay retailer, Bonzai Bob(Cedric Murray).

• plants77
    15 years ago

You and I have similar taste in plants. Cedrus are the best conifers, at least the best ones that I can grow. Those little atlas cedars are awesome. You mentioned two nurseries I like a lot. porterhowse is more specialized and has more obscure plants, forestfarm is good very wide variety of material.

• arceesmith
    15 years ago

"Porterhowse farms is operated by Don Howse, a nurseryman who has been in the conifer business for some 30 years. Located in East Oregon...."

Actually, Don's nursery is located in Western Oregon about 25 miles east of Portland. Great guy - very knowledgable and a dandy story teller.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Woops! Well that's East of me anyways! lol

He is a nice guy indeed, talked with me on the phone for quite some time.

• plantmarker
    15 years ago

We may well see Cedrus atlantica 'Saphire Nymph' as the ACS Conifer of the Year in a couple of years.

PlantMarker

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

Just ordered the following from Porterhowse Farms:

Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Green Arrow', #1 pot
    Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Greenpeace', #1 pot
    Cedrus deodara 'Feelin' Blue', #1 Pot
    Picea abies 'Hildeburghausen' #1 pot, grafted on short stem about 4" above soil, large plant.
    Picea omorika 'Nana', #1 pot - very large plant, needs to be moved to larger pot or ground
    Pinus strobus 'Sea Urchin' #1 pot
    Pinus koreaiensis 'Dragon's Eye' (aka: 'Occulis-draconis'), #1 pot
    Pinus wallichiana 'Frosty' #1 pot
    Pinus cembra 'Chamolet' (I believe is same as 'Chalet', look identical) #1 pot
    Pinus nigra 'Oregon Green' , #1 pot

Am I excited? Oh Yea!!

• bunkers
    15 years ago

I ordered from Forestfarm last spring and agree with the review above 100%. I ordered a number of 5-6' conifers that had a shipping premium per tree applied to them. The conifers I boughts were mainly serbian spruce and closer to 5' than 6' ... but all are alive and doing well. 4 of the 5 are what I would call pretty nice. 1 was rather skimpy on lower branches, but still healthy. 1 was around 6' and what I would call above expectations and excellent. I was very impressed with their shipping, with not so much as a broken branch that I could find. I called them and they personally checked out all my selections and then came back and told me some items were less than steller, so made other suggestions in a similar vain. When my alternative selections includes some duds, they informed me and we again made alternative choices that they felt I would be happier with. That was a really great experience. They also told me I could have them deliver it on a Monday for Thur-Fri arrival in Colorado. So I waited for a good forecast and they shipped it on a Monday and it arrived on Thursday. All the trees had a great spring flush. I was very impressed with the level of excellent communication (on 3-4 calls) and all calls geared toward being honest and making me happy in the end.
    My wife wasn't impressed by the sizes I got, but in the end, they are all heathly and are thriving in my backyard, which is the main thing. My local nursery's offer a much more limited selection and at prices that are MUCH higher and frankly out of my budget most of the time (except fall clearance sales). So for me, Forestfarm offers a nice expanded selection of nice conifers that I couldn't get easily in my town. They also informed me of a $200 cap in shipping costs and gave me details on how to save additional money on larger orders, taking advantage of the $200 cap. Again, customer-centric ... very excellent service all around.

This year I'm thinking about another Forestfarm order, but also have been impressed with the trees I've seen from Greer Gardens. I would love to see a detailed review and pictures of conifers from Greer.

Scott

• bunkers
    15 years ago

The SW White Pine is the only one that isn't looking too great right now [ lots of brown needles falling off, seems like 1/2 the tree dropped brown needles, esp. on the bottom 1/2 limbs ... but the tips on the uppers (new growth) is still green). I perhaps should have done more winter watering, but there had been a lot of snow.

This picture from last Spring shows it just after it was planted. It was skinny, very awkward, but healthy and did put on a lot of nice new growth.

My daughters could not have enjoyed it more ... from taking the trees out of the boxes, to planting, to watering ... they were becoming conifers fans almost as fast as myself!

Pinus strobiformis (reflexa) S.W. WHITE PINE - $59 + $10 large item surcharge
    {{gwi:634202}}

Picea omorika - Serbian Spruce - 5 gal - $39 + $10 oversize shipped (West region)
    {{gwi:634204}}

Picea omorika Nana 5 Gallon 1 $59.00 (on left)
    Pinus strobus Blue Shag 5 Gallon 1 $59.00 (on right)
    {{gwi:634205}}

Picea abies Aurea 5 Gallon 1 $59.00
    {{gwi:634206}}

Picea abies 'Inversa' (Pendula) 5 Gallon 1 $59.00
    (I wasn't real thrilled with this one, but it was heathly and grew a lot last summer)
    {{gwi:634207}}

I found a mom & pop seller in a nearby town that I like a lot. They had bought a few oddballs (in their words) and those were among the best deals all summer. She called one of the trees a Gold Scots Pine ... but it was actually a 'Wates Golden' Virginia Pine ... and a steal for $109.
    And she had this Picea abies 'Inversa' (Pendula) for only $39 or $49 ... and much bigger than the one I got from FF for $59 ...
    {{gwi:634208}}

And finally an idea of the ForestFarm shipping:
    {{gwi:634209}}

{{gwi:634210}}

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for adding your review!

Also note that I gave Greer Gardens a review in the first post. I've only ordered once through them but it was for 12+ plants and it gave me a pretty good idea what to expect.

Will

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the great information. I dabble in this and frequently use information from this site to tell me which nurseries to try out so this is very useful to me.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Cor bunkers! Both the plants and shipping boxes are HUGE. May I ask their shipping charges?
    Plus you are lucky enough to have a large lot and, last but not least, terrific kids. Does the older girl have red hair? If so, she must be an exceptional child (says one red head to another)

Barbara

• bunkers
    15 years ago

Yes, my daughter has some red in her hair ... it's amazing how many notice that with her.

Yes, the boxes were gigantic. It actually took quite a while to remove all the staples. The person securing things took no chances and was very liberal with the staples!

I paid $650 (incl. shipping and shipping premiums for 5-6' trees) ... for 10 trees, almost all of which were 5 gallon pots. So I was happy with $65 per tree, since I can't find these locally ... and if I did, the price would would be triple that a minimum.

Like I said, all are living and doing well. The serbian spruce looks quite delicate (to me), but seems to be much tougher than you might think.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

will..

i wanted to send you an email.. but your page doesnt allow it ...

send me one ... BEFORE you post any negative reviews ...

ken

• Jon 6a SE MA
    15 years ago

Here on the east coast there is one nursery that I would recommend visiting, Sylvan's Nursery in Westport, MA. They have hundreds of conifers and specialize in "landscape size" trees and shrubs although they have huge supplies of small affordable plants. They have several "farms" and cover a total of 350 acres or so.

They are mostly wholesale but if you sign in and sign out (I guess in case you get lost) they let you roam around the greenhouses and grounds; they'll even drive you in a golf cart. I don't know why they even let me in there as I have seen professionals buying tens of thousands of dollars worth of premium stock. They do, and they are always very friendly and treat me just as well with my $60 purchase as the guy next to me shelling out thousands; of course the mark-up is higher with me (5% discount for cash though). Prices for the premium stuff is premium and the smaller stuff is higher than the box stores, but they no doubt probably have what you want, when you want it and the size you want at a fair price.

Anyway, it is worth the trip (probably not from Oregon) as they are located along the Westport River and Buzzard's Bay and it is God's country. Don't go at 3 PM as the irrigation goes off (strange, they always say to water in the early AM) no matter what and you will get soaked. Not bad if its hot.

I'm jealous of all the great places and choices you have in the Northwest, but thought I would give a plug for some decent people here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sylvan's nursery

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bit of a bump here for the newer conifer enthusiasts. Some pics are gone but there's enough info here to be somewhat useful.

-Will

• donn_
    12 years ago

Very useful! Thanks!

• Joshman464
    9 years ago

I really like budgetplants.com.

They'll special delivery throughout the west coast so you don't have to worry about it being shipped poorly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Budget Plants

• Joshua Browning
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago