Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus coulteri.......

Posted by conifer50 6b/7aGA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 9, 12 at 16:06

....cones from Jackson County, Oregon....this being the most northernly known native outlier/disjunct population.

Johnny

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus coulteri.......

I was not aware that there was a population in Oregon! Thanks for sharing these cones.

-Sam

o

Sabiniana.

o

Right on Ronald!...Lots of fog in North Georgia today..Big Cones, Big Mistakes, and it's Monday...that one is inexcusable.

Thanks,

Johnny

o

Here's a reference article on "Pinus sabiniana" in Oregon.

Johnny

Here is a link that might be useful: Discovering Gray Pine in Oregon

o

Nice, but the Pinus sabiniana in Oregon are all planted by people, or naturalised regeneration from planted trees; it isn't genuinely native in Oregon (despite what the article claims!).

Resin

o

Lovely cones!

o

Just last week I visited an excellent stand of this species, with some of the largest I have seen, some approaching 100 feet, probably. It is located on the east slopes of Mt. Hamilton, just a mile from the Mt. Hamilton observatory, at elevations of about 4000 ft. It grows with Pinus ponderosa and Quercus kelloggii. Mt. Hamilton is about 20 miles east of San Jose, but it is a good 40 minute drive due to a steep and winding road. Lots of Golden Eagles up there, too. Some of the cones I measured at nearly 20 inches in length.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 18:43

Here's a picture of Pinus coulteri cones I gathered near Coulterville last Fall. Evan got some seeds a few months later as they opened.
Mike....watching it rain.

Pinus coulteri cones

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 21:12

This and P. ponderosa seem to be having a nasty needle cast problem around here in recent years, maybe it's the weather. P. jeffreyi appears largely or entirely unaffected.

o

Hi Mike,.....The cones from Coulterville/Mariposa County CA are Grey Pine/Digger Pine/Pinus sabiniana. As a rule, this eco-type from the Sierra Nevada region has much smaller cones than coastal and Klamath Mtns varities.

Johnny

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 6:49

Thanks Johnny.
The pines were pretty grey. Since I found them near Coulterville I assumed they were P. coulteri.
Wrong again!
Mike

o

Couple of clues:

Cones reddish-toned: P. sabiniana
Cones yellow-buff: P. coulteri

Seed longer than seedwing: P. sabiniana
Seed shorter than seedwing: P. coulteri

Resin

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 13:59

The two trees are also quite different in aspect, Coulter pine producing large tufts of thick looking foliage (and large massive cones) and gray pine looking like a cloud of smoke.

o

concerning the "native" or "non native" status of pinus sabiniana in southern oregon---thee are other examples of taxa typically regarded as endemic to california in that area including juglans hindsii, cercis occidentalis, aesculus californica, etc. that are apparently growing natively in isolated parts of the rogue valley area of southern oregon. the plants are growing in uncultivated/non roadside areas apparently not associated with either native american or euro-american settlements. certainly other elements of the largely californian chaparrel formation are also native in the area including arctostaphylos, ceanothus, garrya, cercocarpus, etc. local experts like frank callahan seem to believe that the plants are true relicts of a more extensive "california type" flora that has been restricted by cooler temps and further reduced by recent human activities. you can probably find his article on pinus sabiniana for the oregon native plant society by googling his name, "pinus sabiniana", and "rogue valley, oregon".

o

Of course not along the roadside. Otherwise they would have been spotted a long time ago. But there is a pattern as if someone wanted to make nonnative native. It would be quite useful commercially, isn't it? Curiously no old trees, never. The old trees are supposed to have been logged or burned. Even in these cases, no proof. Trees after a fire for instance leave part of trunks. Where are they? Where are the stumps and roots left for molecular analysis? Where is the peer review? Where is the material available for independant analysis?

Is it bad luck when a survey was done for one area and no Californian endemic was found? But after a fire, miracle: regeneration of a Californian endemic!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here