Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamboo_nuts

The Story of a Nuts and His Garden

bamboo_nuts
10 years ago

Hi All,
I've been lurking a few years on this forum and have not posted a single picture of my garden. The reason is that I have been debating myself whether I should move to a house with a bigger lot or not before start building my garden. So� after more than 10 years, I decided that I won't move because the location I wanted to move to would be way too far from my office.
So here I go�
The first link is my garden before I took the plunge.
The second link is the set up of my garden
And finally the third link is my dream garden.
J.N

Here is a link that might be useful: Before I Built My Conifer Garden

Comments (11)

• bamboo_nuts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Then I built my conifer garden

Here is a link that might be useful: Building my Conifer garden

• bamboo_nuts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The third link.
    Here it is

Here is a link that might be useful: My Conifer Garden.. Whewâ¦.

• gmatx zone 6
    10 years ago

Just absolutely beautiful. I'm terribly jealous...... You could send me Mr. Rooster and the chicks in the wheelbarrow and one of the Japanese reds!

I just saw the title of your post on the "Most Recent Posts" and was intrigued by it. I have never posted on this forum before.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

The third link says 'this is a private page'....Darn...Just when the juices were flowing !

Al

• bamboo_nuts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Al,
    Please try again. Maybe my setting messed up. I'm new to flickr so bear with me.
    I set all photo public now. Hope you can see them.
    J.N

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

Wow, I am speechless! Amazing. I liked the before too. You have a very good eye for design.

• Cher
    10 years ago

Great choices and design put together here to create some beautiful gardens.
    Cher

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Why do i feel like a slacker all of a sudden?
    Your place is amazing. Beautiful show stopper!
    Also really like the night photos with the accent lighting...choice!

Al

• jarpe
    10 years ago

Great! you have managed to greate soul comforting space. I like the lights, wich extend the pleasure of the view.

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

You have two pines in two large terra cotta pots in your before photos. What are they?
    I notice you are growing Abies koreana and another Abies. I was under the impression that they need cooler climates and we can't grow them well here. But your ones look great. Are they in full sun? Have you noticed any burning or other problems? I would love to grow Abies koreana.

• bamboo_nuts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those two pines in planters are:

Pinus Contorta Chief Joseph

{{gwi:634477}}

And Pinus Parviflora Goldylocks

{{gwi:634478}}

I know what you are thinking. Do not go to that nursery in MD. He would charge you an leg and an arm for these. I have some left in pot. Shoot me an email.

About Abies Koreana? Yes they are beautiful but - and you're right - they are not quite for our zone.

This Abies Koreana Aurea lasted for about three years. It took one really hot and humid day to kill it.

{{gwi:634479}}

However, some other Abies Koreana like the Golden Spreader do just fine in our zone (7/7a/7b). This guy does not like sun or winter wind though.

{{gwi:634481}}

Growing conditions for Abies Korean in our zone:
    1 - Well-drain soil is a must. A slope or a raised bed is perfect. Do not overwater them. I had managed to kill more than 15 of them (different cultivars) with overwatering.
    2 - Morning sun or by a shade tree. Or in case of afternoon sun? it can take just a few hours of sun. More than a few hours of sun? some leave/needle burn at the top are normal.

Overall, Abies Koreana do not like to grow in our climate/zone. Regardless how hard you try you will encounter some issues with growth. For sure they don't look their best in our zone.
    But for a nuts like me. I keep stubbornly pushing it to its limits. Some success. But 80% of them failed within one or two years.

If you really really really like them? Buy a big one that have been growing in our zone or one zone cooler (6/6a/6b?). It costs you a fortune but it's worth it.

I'm glad you enjoy pics of my garden.
    J.N