Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy_ny

Pinus armandii x lambertiana questions

I love the large size, mature form, and giant cones of sugar pine. I have a seedling about 14"/35.5cm that I will be planting on my property this summer but have heard numerous times that the species does not do well in the eastern US. I'm going to try anyway.

I was reading some information on the hybrid with P. armandii being more resistant to blister rust. Would this hybrid be more apt to survive and do well for me here in the eastern US? Would it be more tolerant of our humid summers? Lastly, does anyone have pictures of a large hybrid tree or what their cones look like? Being a hybrid, I know there will be variation in phenotype between the two parent species. I'm just curious whether or not the hybrid is intermediate between the two parent species or is more similar to one over the other.

I already have seedlings of P. armandii from a tree growing in USDA z6a in central NY. I like the look of their longer needles and thick, heavy cones. There's also a nice looking mature P. armandii in Rochester, NY; in their Highland Park.

Comments (5)