Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

T. can. Popeleski, T. c. Everitt Golden and P. m. Brooks

Tsuga canadensis Popeleski .. probably another trod upon issue

{{gwi:634629}}

Tsuga canadensis Everitt Golden

{{gwi:634631}}

{{gwi:634633}}

Pseudotsuga menziesii Brooks .. so what is false about this tsuga ... it surely is not a hemlock ... but i sure like its teal color and size ...

{{gwi:634635}}

{{gwi:634637}}

Comments (15)

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Damn, thats a nice Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Brooks'! I've been looking for a nice teal colored P.m. dwarf for while now.

Looks like 'Brooks' is a winner.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

seriosuly ???? ... you are shopping plants by teal color.. man you got it bad ...

i sure hope no one ever introduces you to real drugs.. lol

ken

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    12 years ago

Any idea of a source for Brooks?
    Marshall

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

That was just a phase during high school, this is a REAL addiction!

And seriously, that was my next question. Where do we find 'Brooks'?

• Cher
    12 years ago

I have to agree that Brooks is one good looking conifer. I'll tell you Ken, you have some fabulous conifers in your gardens.
    Cher

Original Author
    12 years ago

brooks came from bill barger in 2004

ken

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    12 years ago

Thanks

Marshall

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

I really like Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Brooks'. I'm so sorry I always ask this but I try doing a google search and there is just not a lot of information on conifers. Is this hardy to zone 3/4?

Also, I'm curious with hour irrigation hose, do you just have holes in the hose where you have plants or did you connect the drip irrigation hose that is placed into your hose and then directed to the trees?

I do agree with the others, you have such a nice large collection of conifers. You are bad!! A terrible enabler.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

LadyL- Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca (from the Rocky Mts) is hardy to zone 4. P. menziesii var. menziesii (Pacific Coast) is hardy only to zone 5. You'd have to research where a cultivar originated to see if it had a chance in your zone.

For a good site on species hardiness check out the link.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon State Database

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Tj, thank you so much for the link. I might not be such a pain in the arse now with this information. I always try to google the plant names before asking about hardiness. I see now I will have to look up the species and then try the plant based on the hardiness of the species.

Original Author
    12 years ago

the latin translates into Douglas Fir ...

they are borderline z5 ... so you are not going to win ...

in this case.. the picture is for your pleasure ... not you want list ..

these are the only conifers under irrigation ... it has to do with the cement pad [heat], my sand.. and the need to avoid having 100 feet of hose on the patio ... [its not that they are far apart.. its all the snaking around i would have to do to reach them all .. and putting it all away ...

as to species vs cultivar ... part of the equation might have to do with what the understock is ... not everything is grafted to the same species .... but that is irrelevant here ... i have lost half of the DFir over the years ... in my cold z5 ...

never qualify your enthusiasm... by being embarrassed about asking questions ...

ken

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Thanks Ken, It is a pleasure indeed to see all your photos. In this case I will leave that one off my wish list. I had a feeling it would not be very hardy. Whenever I see that more fleshy needle look I tend to know right off the bat they are not hardy. It was just so gorgeous I had to ask.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Ken said:
    as to species vs cultivar ... part of the equation might have to do with what the understock is ... not everything is grafted to the same species .... but that is irrelevant here ... i have lost half of the DFir over the years ... in my cold z5 ...

Correct Ken. Not relevant for ladylotus, however two distinctions need to be noted:

1) Coastal douglas fir Pseudotsuga menziesii should only be planted as a tree for the warm regions of the west coast where it is native . . . interior Douglas fir Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca never should be planted as a tree in the warm regions of the native coastal douglas fir. And vice-versa.

2) As understocks for grafted forms, interior Douglas fir will be OK as an understock for the more "coastal areas."
    (Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca)

For the rest of the country, however, and for grafting purposes only Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca should be grown for planting and grafting use for two reasons: a) hardiness & b) tolerance to climate.

---------
    Just as this goes for the USA, it would now be said that when comparing species-varietals for use in other places of the world, of course a coastal form of Douglas fir would better fit areas of the world such as the U.K. (similar climates).

Regardos muchos,

Dax

• thedecoguy
    12 years ago

Hi
    New to this forum, and it's due to it that my iinterest in conifers has been reignited. Does anyone know where Pseudotsuga Brooks can be obtained in the UK?
    Love the forum and all the great pics that all send in.
    Regards Chris

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Learn something new everyday.

Sounds like the midwesterners and others need to make sure our Douglas Fir selections are grfated on Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting