Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maureen014

Red Spruce tree leaning; bend in trunk

Maureen014
10 years ago

My ornamental Red Spruce tree (I think it's a Red Spruce anyway- best guess) has developed a pronounced bend in its trunk over the past few years, but it has become more noticeable this past year. The tree was planted by the homebuilders about 42 years ago, and stands about 40-45 feet tall. It is otherwise healthy, produces new growth in spring and plenty of cones. The bend is about 1/4 way up the trunk of the tree, not at the base. The ground is mostly level around the tree, and there is no evidence of any disturbance in the root area.

Given the large size of this tree, I am wondering what we can do to correct the problem....is there a safe way to help my tree grow straighter? Or is this something I should just not be worrying about? I don't want it to continue bending to the point of breaking. It might be worth mentioning that the tree is bending in the same direction as the heavy winds which sometimes come from the back yard.

Any suggestions are most appreciated; thanks!

Comments (3)

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Doubt you can do anything, other than to keep monitoring the lean - try to see how it lines up against defined background points when viewed over a couple of years from exactly the same spot. If it starts to lean significantly more, probably best to remove and replace with a new tree.

Looks like it might be a Norway Spruce - how long are the cones? 3-5 cm = Red Spruce; 10-18 cm = Norway Spruce.

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hi mo ... welcome to GW ...

you said: Given the large size of this tree, I am wondering what we can do to correct the problem....

and my simple response.. as founder.. and president of the WEIRDER THE BETTER CLUB ...

is to enjoy it for its uniqueness ... and its oddity ...

your only alternative.. is to cut it down and plant a new one ;...

think of your kids.. or maybe better.. someone elses.. they are what they are ... and the less you try to change them.. the better off you are ... you try to guide them.. but sooner or later.. they are on their own.. and this very old tree.. is officially on its own ....

there is nothing.. nay i say.. nothing you can do ... except ... visiting a head doctor and finding out.. why you want to change this tree ...

it seems rather healthy.. as far as i can tell from the pic.. presumably leaning away from your house.. threatening nothing .... so why do you want to inflict your will on it ... ok... i am in a weird mood ... maybe in another 50 years.. it will be threatening the neighbor across the way.. and hopefully by then.. it wont be a neighbor you like.. lol ...

nope.. i am of the opinion.. that it is.. what it is.. nothing can be.. nor need be done ...

again.. welcome.. and i hope you have some sense of humor.. lol ...

ken

ps: these are forest trees.. they denude themselves down low, as they grow a hundred feet or so ..... as they make themselves into the telephone poles they are... it could use some limbing up.. IMHO ... and if that bareness down below bothers you.. there are a couple thousand smaller conifers we can recommend for a nice bed down around its trunk ...

BTW.. anyone know what a red spruce is.. because conifers is the only place i know full latin ... in other words.. a proper ID might help define its growth habit ... i cant tell from these pix.. but could it be picea ruebens in maryland???? .. it sure doesnt look like Picea glauce nor P abies to me ....?????

• jimbobfeeny
    10 years ago

Not sure what kind of spruce that is! Actually, Red and Norway spruces are difficult to tell apart unless you have them side-by-side. In my experience, Red spruce has needles that are about 1/2 as long as Norway spruce, and they tend to be thin and soft, rather than thick like Norway spruce. Red spruce also has tighter bark and much smaller cones.

The form looks right - Norway spruce typically has more pendant branchlets.